Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-10-2005, 12:28 PM Reply   
I am throwing around the idea of building my own tower speaker box. I am on a VERY limited budget since I am in school and not making any money right now. I was thinking about building a basic box out of MDF board that would be able to hold 4 6X9's. I am planning on just building a rectangular box (nothing fancy) and either getting it Line-X or fiberglassing it to make it waterproof. I have never worked with fiberglass so I don't know how hard that will be. I know that it wouldn'nt be to much money to get it Line-X, I just don't know how it would look. Any suggestions about what to use to cover the box, and is there anything I should know before I attempt this project???
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-10-2005, 1:40 PM Reply   
Step 1: Head down to Wally World (aka Wal-Mart). Check out the 6x9 boxes they have that are super cheap. You might just want to buy four of those and put your own speakers and mounts on there. The carpet lasts suprisingly well and it is easy to throw a mount on there. If you need some cheap ones just let me know, I have some for my speakers:

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/8/202516.html?1103578328

If you don't like Wally's boxes you can buy your own but have a good idea how to build them from what you saw there. And Wally has some really cheap truck bed liner stuff that works as good as all the rest(Plasti-cote in the Red can). Just build you a nice box then apply the Plasti-cote directly to the wood, it will take several coats and will leave a rough surface but it is shiny black and looks good on a tower. I hope the info helps. Good Luck and Post some pics for us...:-)
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-10-2005, 1:55 PM Reply   
I was thinking about just buying 4 of those 6x9 boxes and hooking them togther but I wasn't sure how strong they would be. Also what would be the best way to "string" them together?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       01-10-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
I used 6x9 boxes I picked up at a flea market on my old boat w/ an extended pylon. 15 bucks for the pair and they lasted for 1.5 years and still looked good when I sold it. The boat was run about 80% of the time in a saltwater environment. You can make clamps from parts at home depot.
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-10-2005, 11:47 PM Reply   
I would just screw them together from the inside. If you can find a couple of U bolts that will fit good you can use them around your tube and then just bolt them on from the inside of your boxes(put some black tubing over the U-bolt to cushion between the tower and then you can just use zinc bolts, and it will make it look a little nice too :-) Then just pop some speakers in and wire em up ...
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-11-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
Thanks for all of the advice, I bought some MDF board today and will hopefully start working it this weekend! I will post pictures when I am all finished
Old     (cla17)      Join Date: Mar 2002       01-11-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   
cool :-)
Old    wakefunx2            01-12-2005, 10:28 AM Reply   
what kind of boat and tower are you trying to make this for?
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-12-2005, 1:16 PM Reply   
Cory, its a 1999 Malibu Sunsetter LXi and we have a barewest tower, I can't tell you what the model is though.
Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       01-12-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
I just added a picture of our boat to my profile.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-12-2005, 1:30 PM Reply   
Check out www.diytower.com to see what others have done n makeing thier own speakers, there are some really great ideas.