Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-02-2004, 12:07 PM Reply   
I'm looking at buying a skate...what's best for models and brands? I'm looking at Hyperlite but would like to hear what others are riding. Is there a big difference between models...I like foam and will probably keep the grip tape for my skateboard?

Thanks,
-Kim
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-02-2004, 2:52 PM Reply   
Depending on your size – HYPERLITE!!! I ride the Byerly 107 and love it. Its super light, concaved and the foam top really grips.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-03-2004, 1:26 PM Reply   
Thanks...I'm 5'3" around 120ish. I've been riding my neighbors skate which is a Hyperlite Brian Grubb...how is your board different? Do you ride with shoes?
Old    wes_the_gimp            06-03-2004, 9:49 PM Reply   
the kids and I just bought the Grubb 112. We like it. Tried the Gate, that was good too.

After the first time the board hits you in the toe...
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-04-2004, 6:06 AM Reply   
Kim – I was on the Grubb 116, but after meeting and talking with Byerly at a boat show I’m dropping down to his 107 due to my size. I’m 5’5” and 160lbs. He told me I would have more control with the smaller board on my lip tricks. I noticed on the 116 sometimes I would feel as if the board had a mind of it’s own and was hard to control when I would land or switch to goofy foot. He also said it would ollie better and spin easier than that big 116. I do ride with shoes when doing tricks, but like to go without sometimes and just kick back and ride. I prefer the foam top over grip tape because it’s more forgiving when you go down on top of it.

Check with a local shop to demo a few different boards. That way you can see what each feels like under your own two feet.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-04-2004, 1:30 PM Reply   
Good idea on the demo idea and thanks for all the tips :-).
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-04-2004, 7:49 PM Reply   
there is more to life then hyperlite
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-09-2004, 5:35 PM Reply   
Not really :-)
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       06-10-2004, 6:04 AM Reply   
You go girl!!! I'm all about the hyperlite. Has been good to me and my family from day one.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-10-2004, 1:22 PM Reply   
It's the local crew here (Seattle area).
Old    phantom770            06-15-2004, 7:24 AM Reply   
Hyperlite is just like Nike - as soon as the Logo is on the product, the price goes up by 30% regardless of the quality of the product.
-=Gator Boards 4evr!=-
Old     (ssrgeoff)      Join Date: May 2004       06-17-2004, 5:12 PM Reply   
Many times you get what you pay for. Regardless of brand name.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-18-2004, 1:53 PM Reply   
...but some brands have better quality products than others...
Old     (ssrgeoff)      Join Date: May 2004       06-18-2004, 2:57 PM Reply   
True....
Just because its the "top" brand doesnt mean it uses the very best in material.

John, I would'nt say there like Nike at all.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       06-19-2004, 8:58 PM Reply   
"John, I would'nt say there like Nike at all."
-hyperlite wakeboards are pressed overseas in asia.
-people will buy hyperlite boards/bindings solely because they say "hyperlite" on them.
how is this NOT like nike?

www.integrity-wake.com
check it.
Old    phantom770            06-20-2004, 3:36 AM Reply   
Scott - ............
you B*stard you you left me nothing left to say LOL
anyhow - he is COMPLETELY RIGHT!! everyone buys hyperlite just because Parks Bonifay gets some of THE most publicity of all wakeboarders. Gatorboards has almost no publicity, and is a much smaller company where the owner actually rides!! Liquid Force, i admit lag a little with their boards, but their bindings are SSSOOOOOOO much better than hyperlite, they dont even compare!
Old     (ssrgeoff)      Join Date: May 2004       06-20-2004, 1:54 PM Reply   
John you and Scott A didnt buy a Hyperlite so not "everyone" buys them.

Its all marketing......

I like my Cassette much better than the Hyperlite Catalyst. IMPO some boards work better for some people more than others, doesnt mean I am anti-Hyperlite.
Old    phantom770            06-20-2004, 10:16 PM Reply   
Whatever works.... Hyperlite is still overpriced and overhyped.
Old    txwkbrdr06            06-21-2004, 7:59 AM Reply   
Since when did this turn into a company-bashing thread? I think there are pros and cons to every company. Everyone buys what's best for them, so do what's best for you.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-23-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
I like Hyperlite cause I like supporting my local crew...like Libtech, Gnu, K2, Ride, etc. But if there is a better board out there I'd like to hear about it as quality and performance does matter just as much as backing your hometown and/or smaller indie companies. So, what do people like and is solid wood better for this barefoot rider?
Old     (duramax_dually)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-26-2004, 1:18 PM Reply   
I recommend Integrity WakeSkates. Break away from the standard fare and the over marketed skates.

www.integrity-wake.com
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-27-2004, 8:06 AM Reply   
wait for next year's 2005 wakeskates
Old     (mishaplr)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-27-2004, 1:57 PM Reply   
Now, has anyone been to the Hyperlite factory. Yes, they do press some boards in Asia (China). You think that makes a major difference. K2 snowboards are pressed in China as well. Do you buy a board because of where it is made because if that is true I hope you don't buy any Nike shoes because there no Nike shoes made in this country. YOu ride what you like and everyone makes good boards. Way too many people on here talk like they have been to a wakeboard factory or know the inside line on stuff, but have no idea what goes on in the industry.
Ride what you want and have fun doing it.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-29-2004, 12:49 AM Reply   
"I like Hyperlite cause I like supporting my local crew..."
HAHAHAHAHAHA.

"But if there is a better board out there I'd like to hear about it as quality and performance does matter just as much as backing your hometown and/or smaller indie companies."
1. "better" is subjective. i prefer Integrity and Cassette AND Butter boards over Hyperlite. i really dont care for the catalyst at all.
2. if you think that supporting a "smaller indie company" is important, you are a damn hypocrite for supporting a company such as hyperlite.

"So, what do people like and is solid wood better for this barefoot rider?"
its all personal preference. if you are gonna ride barefoot you will wanna stick with a foam top. off the top of my head i can only think of the hyperlite catalyst and Butter board that come with a foam top. you seem to like the catalyst so i will guess that you have ridden one, so i suggest that you find some way to check out a butter board. you might be surprised at what you are missing. either that or riding a different board will tell you that you really DO like the catalyst, and thats cool too. just dont support companies for the wrong reasons.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       07-29-2004, 2:26 PM Reply   
As a matter of fact Lenny....I DO only buy boards that are made in the USA by RIDER OWNED companies that make a superior product. And, I would'nt be caught dead in a pair of Nike shoes....

with that being said, do you think you are the only person on these boards that has ever been in a wakeboard/skate factory?
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-29-2004, 2:43 PM Reply   
Hyperlite headquarters is in Redmond...where I live and on smaller indie companies...I meant anywhere...but really I'm more into finding out what people like to ride based on quality and how it handles so thanks for the information everyone :-).
Old    40girlboarder            08-03-2004, 6:07 PM Reply   
OK - enough with the capitalist commentary. I am interested in buying a wakeskate and need some advice on size, material, etc. I will be the primary rider, 5'7" female, with age appropriate weight, but the board will get a ton of use from random friends (teenagers to grandparents). Any suggestions?

Old    muckmeister            08-04-2004, 9:33 PM Reply   
Anne-

KAMPUS SKATES

K SERIES or SWING SERIES

http://www.kampuswakesk8.com/

Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-06-2004, 1:58 AM Reply   
Anne: it isnt really too important that you get the exact right size board. if you get a 40-42 inch board, you should be fine. for wakeboarding its more important because you are jumping a lot, but in wakeskating most people will just cruise around.

as for the board you choose, there is a bunch of information already written above. if you are gonna have lots of different people riding it, i would get something with foam like a butter or hyperlite or kampus. this way you dont need shoes to ride it.
Old    xxplosive            08-06-2004, 3:15 AM Reply   
I personally prefer the wood boards, cassette over the fiberglass hyperlites. You can catch an edge easier on the fiberglass ones. I also like grip tape and some DCs to stomp it with..works great
Old    maddie            08-09-2004, 8:15 AM Reply   
ya but.....if u ride wodd it is a lot less stable and olies become twice as hard which makes all tricks way harder. The hyperlite fibreglass boards track in the water way betr evn without fins.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-09-2004, 5:07 PM Reply   
matt- have you ridden a cassette concave? it is FAR more stable than a catalyst. and the catalyst doesnt track any better than a cassette either, especially when it doesnt have fins in it.
Old    jrh2001            08-12-2004, 11:04 AM Reply   
scott a- have you ever wakeskated in your life? the HL skates do track better than a cassette will with no fins. the cassette is completely flat.
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       08-12-2004, 3:20 PM Reply   
hah oops. my apologies, i thought he meant the HL catalyst would track better finless than the cassette WITH fins.

and yes, ive wakeskated a bit here and there...