Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeskating

Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-25-2005, 8:26 AM Reply   
which of the wake skates by hyperlite are people liking? I'm looking to pick up something used with a foam top and have only ridden the brian grubb deck (catalyst). there's the new one out with a lip (karma) that sounds interesting...is it that more useful for olies and such? and how do i know what size to get?

thanks,
-Kim
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-01-2005, 6:43 PM Reply   
For about the same price you can get the compression molded Integrity team deck and put foam grip on it. Awesome pop and control for tech tricks. Support Rider owned!
Old     (ktmwakeboarder)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-01-2005, 10:24 PM Reply   
Catalyst 112.

I too wanted to find something with a foam deck. My skating on other decks is limited, so I am not a good source for comparison, but I do like mine.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-02-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
thanks...does anybody know how i size the board to myself?
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
Usually by height and weight. I am 5'7" and 160 lbs. I feel fine with a 41 inch skate.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-02-2005, 4:01 PM Reply   
so if i'm 5'3" 120ish...what size should i get?
Old     (treycleaton)      Join Date: Mar 2005       05-02-2005, 4:58 PM Reply   
For more wake to wake tricks, you'll want to go a little larger, like a 42 or 43. If you want to do more technical tricks, you can go with a 39 to 41. These are only guidlines though, its really personal preference. I like both w to w and tech, a 41 is not too big or small.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-03-2005, 12:12 PM Reply   
thanks...sounds like a 41 or 42 should to the tricks :-).
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       05-05-2005, 9:39 PM Reply   
kim- first of all size isnt as important with skates as it is with boards. the big reason for board sizing is because you wanna get as much pop as you can out of a board, and with wakeskating many people dont even jump, you wont see much of a difference. some of the pros ride 39" while some ride 42." i dont honestly think you will see a difference in board size. you might see a difference in board SHAPE, though. that's why there are different manufacturers.

and Integrity decks are not compression molded. www.integrity-wake.com
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-06-2005, 9:32 AM Reply   
Old    koolkid            06-22-2005, 11:44 AM Reply   
do wakeskates need fins? and do wakeskate come with the griptape or do you have to buy that to?

Old     (xbar)      Join Date: May 2003       06-22-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
Kim,
If you are still looking for a skate I have an '04 Catalyst 116 that I could sell. It is in great shape, only slight cosmetic damage from sliders on the bottom. Has the foam top and 2 fins. I'm only looking for $100 + shipping if you are interested.

Matthew,
Fins are a personal preference, as is either grip or foam tape. All of the skates will either come with the foam or grip. I know that with Integrity skates they ship you the grip tape and you need to apply it yourself. I hope that answers your questions.

Cheers!
-Jason
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-22-2005, 5:51 PM Reply   
thanks Jason but since i'm going part-time soon from work so i can play more i'll have to wait
:-(. good luck though and that's a great deal.
-Kim
Old     (scott_a)      Join Date: Dec 2002       07-01-2005, 5:10 PM Reply   
here is a website with some REALLY inexpensive wakeskates. some are 2004s or 2005s but for this price i would highly consider it if you just want something to mess with every now and again.

http://www.evogear.com/Category.asp?cat=53
Old     (pirate)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-04-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
You might also want to look into riding a sattelyte wakeskate, there wood, there made out of hard canadian maple, there rider owned and operated, they seem to have the delam problem for wood boards fixed and im sure they'll hook you up on the price if you tell them i sent you.

www.sattelyte.com

thanks again
-brandon livermore
sattelyte wakeskates team rider.
Old    boarderboy813            07-14-2005, 12:10 PM Reply   
im split between buying the hyperlite byerly 107 and the armada 41. im 5'3" and weigh 100lbs i just like to do mainly wake to wake stuff but i might be doing some tech tricks and i thought the catalist 112 would be to big, does anyone have any advice?
Old     (xbar)      Join Date: May 2003       07-14-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
You shouldn't have any problem going wake to wake with any of the boards out on the market now. Personally, I would stick with rider owned companies like Integrity, Sattelyte, Cassette, or one of the others out there.

I rode the '04 Byerly 107 for a while and it is a decent board. The only thing is that it is not weighted and that makes shuvits and other tricks difficult. A few months ago I got on an Integrity and it is the best thing since Tivo!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-28-2005, 8:25 AM Reply   
Just ordered the 05 Byerly 107. THink its alittle heavier and weighted different that the 04. Cant wait to ride it.
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-28-2005, 10:19 AM Reply   
kim, you probably want the smallest board you can find, my 6'3" dad rides my 104 cm LF Armada 41, so you probably wouldn't want anything bigger, then again, i'm a smaller board kind of guy, let us know what you decide on..
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-05-2005, 7:05 PM Reply   
thanks for the tips...right now i'm working part time so no money but more time to get out on the lake :-)...i'll let you know what i get though...but it may be next year :-(...for now i ride my neighbor's son's board that he built at the hyperlite factory. i think it's a parks with the boa bindings and it gets really great pop...oh my god i can't believe i got that high pop (he-he).
-Kim
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-05-2005, 7:06 PM Reply   
oh...this is in reply to wake skate...same story but i ride his brian grubb...it's good too :-).
-Kim
Old    superfresh            08-28-2005, 12:48 AM Reply   
EVERYTHING HYPERLITE PUTS OUT ROCKS, BUT WHAT IT REALLY IS ABOUT IS WHAT IS RIGHT FOR YOUR HEIGHT WEIGHT AND STYLE. ASK THE GUY BEHIND THE COUNTER- GET THE RIGHT INFO, BECAUSE THAT IS WHAT IS GOING TO HELP YOU PROGRESS. hYPERLITE ISNT THE ONLY BOARDS EITHER THEIR IS ALSO CASSETTE, WHICH IS RIDER OWNED AND OPERATED- AS WELL AS OTHER SPIN OFFS. GET EDUCATED, THAT IS THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL LEARN TO RIDE AND GET BETTER!
Old    freerider4            08-31-2005, 8:22 PM Reply   
alana are you serious about your comment have you ridden anything else besides hyperlite.
Old     (jamie_lamar)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-01-2005, 6:59 AM Reply   
Kim- I'm 5'5" @ 165lbs and went from the Grubb to the Byerly and landing trix more and getting more pop on ollies. You might even try the Karma with its kick tails.
Old     (girlwhoboards)      Join Date: Aug 2003       09-07-2005, 3:11 PM Reply   
i like the byerly in a wakeboard...thanks for the tip :-).
Old     (naughtyboy211)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-08-2005, 2:26 PM Reply   
CORKY LIKES THE BYERLY, TOO.