Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       11-02-2017, 4:21 AM Reply   
Found an old VHS tape I was given after a boat show in the late 90's. Turns out it still works despite being watched everyday after school and on study breaks in college.

Figured I'd help preserve a little history of the sport with Scott Byerly, Andrea Gaytan, Sarah Cline, Gregg Necrason and Eric "Gator" Lutgert on a little throw back Thursday post. I do not own the copyright to the music nor the video here. I'm pretty sure this was filmed by the guys at Fall Line Films who made some of the best wake boarding videos of the day!

Anyone still have any of the boards in this video? Lets see the pics of your old boards!

Last edited by h2oslider; 11-02-2017 at 4:22 AM. Reason: added Gregg Necrason
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-02-2017, 12:12 PM Reply   
That's pretty sweet. Looks like a mash up of Spray, High Wake Drifters and Hit it. I wore out all of those vids on my old VHS tapes.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-02-2017, 12:18 PM Reply   
3' pylon, ski-rope, and was that a ski belt?

Remind me to go complain that my 2012 Wakesetter wake is too small.
Old     (brinks)      Join Date: Mar 2002       11-02-2017, 5:52 PM Reply   
LOL My house is in Byerly's section
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       11-02-2017, 7:42 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinks View Post
LOL My house is in Byerly's section

Haha! No way! Thats pretty cool!
Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       11-02-2017, 7:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by eternalshadow View Post
3' pylon, ski-rope, and was that a ski belt?

Remind me to go complain that my 2012 Wakesetter wake is too small.

Ha! I know!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2017, 7:40 AM Reply   
We have posted this and a ton others at the Wakeboarding Hall of Fame. I personally have over 200 Wakeboarding that have been digitized and segments will be released over the next year one on our site and social media. We are trying to preserve the history of our sport and the charters that created all of these great moments.

For me personally I had two copies of this tape as I watched it thousands of times. I was the tape at the time that fired me up event time we went to ride.

Thanx for posting Paul.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       11-03-2017, 7:43 AM Reply   
Funny thing - My kids have no idea how small a wake can really be. My boat unweighted and half a tank of gas is SOOO much bigger than these wakes we had to learn on.
Old     (eternalshadow)      Join Date: Nov 2001       11-04-2017, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalow View Post
Funny thing - My kids have no idea how small a wake can really be. My boat unweighted and half a tank of gas is SOOO much bigger than these wakes we had to learn on.
Some of my younger riders and or their parents occasionally comment on how a type of boat used for training isn't big enough, not enough ballast in a contest boat, or that a shallow lake makes the wake too small. On a weekend over weekend experience while this may be true I learned inverts and spins behind an inboard/outboard.

My neighbour has thrown more inverts and spins than I ever have and he did most of it on a 1970s closed bow 16' outboard with a 90 hp engine and 3' pylon.

I just want to see people wakeboarding behind anything that will pull them again. I look at some of the pro-session videos that were done behind sea-doo's, zodiaks, barefoot boats, etc and I wonder if those of us that can reach an audience should do so from some of these other boats to remind the general public to get out there and ride behind anything that will pull them and that there's a world of possibility doing so.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       11-05-2017, 7:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Some of my younger riders and or their parents occasionally comment on how a type of boat used for training isn't big enough, not enough ballast in a contest boat, or that a shallow lake makes the wake too small. On a weekend over weekend experience while this may be true I learned inverts and spins behind an inboard/outboard.

My neighbour has thrown more inverts and spins than I ever have and he did most of it on a 1970s closed bow 16' outboard with a 90 hp engine and 3' pylon.

I just want to see people wakeboarding behind anything that will pull them again. I look at some of the pro-session videos that were done behind sea-doo's, zodiaks, barefoot boats, etc and I wonder if those of us that can reach an audience should do so from some of these other boats to remind the general public to get out there and ride behind anything that will pull them and that there's a world of possibility doing so.
Very true, so many people discover wakeboarding behind their jetski then decide they need to upgrade and go to something that gets a season and a half before it's sold because (while they may not admit it) the wake is too big and hard. We started behind Dad's fishing boat in 2001... and we still ride behind it. It's great for teaching new riders, and we've got our share of inverts and spins. In many ways we've been very fortunate to be riding so long and our knees have probably benefited from the smaller wake (my knees turn 40 this season!).
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-09-2017, 1:56 PM Reply   
Quote:

I'm with you there. People need to stop being so picky and rip behind whatever they ride behind. If the wakes too small for certain tricks do different tricks. Go learn some teach toe blind ones, ollie over a dock, do re entry 3s. Just keep it fun. Too often than not I feel people (myself included sometimes) have the attitude that its g23 or bust. But believe me, sometimes i ride behind my friends old direct drive that doesn't have perfect pass or sub floor ballast and i have a blast. We tow dubs and to be honest I can only do switch ts spins off a small wake for some reason. Riding behind whatever and keeping an open mind makes you a better rider, hands down.
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       11-10-2017, 8:52 AM Reply   
I guess this shows my age then.lol. Still rocking a banner and got my Blunt mounted in the garage. There's a BAFF on another door.
Attached Images

Old     (h2oslider)      Join Date: Sep 2016       11-12-2017, 9:20 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrider View Post
I guess this shows my age then.lol. Still rocking a banner and got my Blunt mounted in the garage. There's a BAFF on another door.
Heck yeah! I Think my brother rode the Blunt for a little while after Chris Bischoff came through Houston with the Wake Tech Truck. Are there any pictures of that bread truck still floating around?I know it used to break down all the time and left Bisch stranded on the side of the road a few times.
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       11-12-2017, 10:07 PM Reply   
BCrider, we came from a good era! Nothing wrong with being older. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Paul, here are my wake techs. Thanks for posting that video! I've also posted a 1996 millennium wakeboard catalog. I've got the catalog, sticker and price sheet. I was a frothing nerd who called every brand I could to get a catalog and a sticker. I feel like you and your brother rode for that brand, but I also feel like I associate at least one of you with NBN.
Attached Images