Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (4Nash)      Join Date: May 2011       07-08-2011, 2:05 PM Reply   
Ok, so this past weekend we tried Wakesurfing for the first time. I bought a CWB Ride board because I have read that they are pretty good beginner boards. Once I tried Wakesurfing I am now hooked! After a REALLY hard fall and concussion from wakeboarding on Friday I can see my self surfing much more often. A new boat more designed for surfing is out of the question since we just got this one in April. So don't knock the ride It will do just fine once we can get it dialed in. Here is my situation:

Boat '05 Mobius LS (DD) 400# ballast under rear seat 360 # ballast in the ski locker 750 Fat Sac along engine box on surf side.

When we tried this on Saturday we had the above mentioned ballast in the boat with an additional 400 # bag on top of the rear seat and probably 600 # in people weight sitting as far to the corner of the sundeck as possible. The Rub rail was probably about 2 inches from the water line if not closer. We had a REALLY big wake but it seamed that the pocket was too short and the wake hardly had any push. We could hardly get any slack and when we did it did not last long enough to even try and go ropeless. I'm not sure exactly what we are doing wrong. We tried varying speeds between 9.5 and 11.5 and various settings with the wake plate. We even tried moving some weight to the bow to try and extend the pocket...

I have seen several videos of people riding ropeless with a much smaller wake than we had the other day so it has to be something we are doing wrong....

Sorry for the long post...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2011, 2:27 PM Reply   
If you are going to use a direct drive, and smaller wake, which is cool, you are going to need a faster board. The CWB Ride is VERY slow. I would think something like a TWP Bazooka or a Lakewakes 5.2, lots of surface area and fast for a smaller wake. Maybe a blue lake from Inland, but its been a long time since we have been around one of those.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
Oh, post some pics of the wake and also if you can, how the boat is in the water so you can see the list and where the rub rail is compared to the water line. Then someone will be able to help you. It'll be fun once you get it working.
Old     (4Nash)      Join Date: May 2011       07-08-2011, 2:55 PM Reply   
I may be going out this weekend with a buddy and his girl. We won't have any other weight in the boat other than the 400, 360 and 750#'s plus occupant weight. I will take some pics if we get out. He's supposed to help me tune this out as he has more experience with this than I do...
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-08-2011, 3:18 PM Reply   
when i rod a DD for surfing, the owner would fill the ballast under the back seat only half full, so that it really rolls to the surfing side... not sure if that is a good idea, but it seemed to work...
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-08-2011, 7:48 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
Maybe a blue lake from Inland, but its been a long time since we have been around one of those.
What is your personal experience with riding a Blue Lake?

How did it compare to some of the other floaty, large boy boards (woody, etc.) that are out there?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-08-2011, 11:19 PM Reply   
We had one for a while, 2008/2009 version I think. It was a good board, fun. I would characterize it more as a cruiser, not a performance board. My daughter Ashley loved riding that board, but if you wanted to get more aggressive, you would want a more "performance" board.

You can see Ashley riding it here around 1:20 or so:

Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-09-2011, 10:27 AM Reply   
The Inland Surfer boards like the Blue Lake and Red Rocket are the best boards for DD boats. They have so much down the line speed that it doesnt take much to push them. They allow you to have fun without having to have a pro-size wake.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-09-2011, 4:36 PM Reply   
That makes sense, I bet the lakewakes 5.2 and 5.4 would also work that way. You definitely want a faster board with more surface area.
Old     (4Nash)      Join Date: May 2011       07-10-2011, 4:52 PM Reply   
Went out again yesterday with a buddy of mine...he surfs goofy and I'm regular. We both tried it regular and could only get slack for a little bit. Rearranged everything so he could ride goofy and he was able to go ropeless. I guess it will just take some more practice.... Also I am 30 pounds heavier than he is. Not sure if that has anything to do with it but it might...
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-10-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
If he can go ropeless, and you can are getting close, a better board should solve your problems.