Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-23-2011, 6:23 AM Reply   
Anyone on WW hunt morels?
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-23-2011, 7:07 AM Reply   
I do not.

A friend of mine does, who owns a 950 acre farm about an hour north of Bull Shoals dam. (He doesn't wakeboard even though his brother owns a Tige and I've got a wakeboard boat too).

We are going to a brewery opening today (a craft brewery, Mother's, in Springfield).

I know he's bored with collecting Morels, but he has told me a little bit about it. It is talked about a lot in his family circles. It seems you have got to know where they grow, and show up at the right time after rain and-or spring warming. The whole secret is knowing the secret spots. The morels will re-appear there year after year.

What do you want me to ask him?
Old     (phantom5815)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-23-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
Someone on Wakeboarder does. I believe he's rarely on this site. He lives in NorCal.
Try over there.
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-23-2011, 10:25 PM Reply   
We have here before a few years ago up camping in the Entiat Valley up in the forest area. we actually got quite a few. sauteed them in butter in a pan over the campfire and they we sooooo good .
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-24-2011, 4:36 AM Reply   
I was just curious, they are just starting to pop around here. Yes, they are delicious.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-25-2011, 10:19 AM Reply   
The brewery event, to be outdoors, was rained out. My friend, amused by never-before shown interest in Morels, reversed the invitation.
Attached Images

Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-25-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
Nice, got a few good ones there. Found about 14 yesterday. Hitting my father in laws farm next weekend to do a little hunting.
Old    SamIngram            04-25-2011, 12:11 PM Reply   
Yes! I have been hunting and frying morels since I could walk... eating bugs too. It is still early in IL though, too cold too!

We went to Yellowstone one year after a fire and the ground was literally covered with them.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-25-2011, 12:40 PM Reply   
yeah, this IL weather sucks... but i've been finding them sporadically. Mainly finding greys but did find about 4 yellows which were nice and fat. Definitely another week and we should be ready to hit 'em hard.
Old     (WaterBullDawg)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
OK, I have had it. What in the hell are these things, and what exactly do you do with them?

For some strange reason, I heard of these suckers for the first time three days ago, and now I have read 4 different posts on 4 different message boards about them since then.

I can't escape them!!
Old    SamIngram            04-26-2011, 1:26 PM Reply   
You eat them!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-26-2011, 1:51 PM Reply   
Found 6 more today, if we could just get some decent sunlight it'd be on. My wife likes them fried in saltine cracker crumbs & butter, but I like the flavor of the mushroom more without all the butter/batter. They are great on pizza.
Old     (WaterBullDawg)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
On a pizza huh? That might be good. What kind of flavor are we talking about? I mean what makes them different than a regular shroom?