Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 04, 2009

Old     (jetskiprosx)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-11-2009, 7:30 PM Reply   
Boat: 2007 Sanger V230 5.7 Black Scorpion engine with 125.6 hours.

Problem: It's idling at lower RPM's (600 instead of around 800) then normal, there is new smell to the exhaust (maybe unburned fuel?), and at surfing speeds (2300-2500RPM) it just feels different (almost like a car with fouled plugs)

These are just small things and the boat is still running OK, but I would like to get to the bottom of this problem(s). The differences I was noticing today are so slight that no one else caught on until I told them and they drove it.

Thanks in advance!
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-11-2009, 9:52 PM Reply   
I have the same motor and it normally idles about 640 when warm. The differences you describe can be ignition or fuel, or a sensor starting to go. You can eliminate a few possibilities by some maintenance that won't hurt or cost much.
Add some injection cleaner and change the fuel filter to clear up a possible stuck or fouled injector or water in the fuel. Check the rotor and cap for any signs of arcing, or just replace the rotor. Look for loose plugs on sensors, and check the voltage while the engine is running. It should be above 13.7 and below 15.3. Get someone to run the ECM to look for codes.
Change the plugs is the next on the list and make sure they're gapped properly.
Old     (mobv)      Join Date: Jun 2002       09-12-2009, 12:50 AM Reply   
I had that engine in a 05 Centurion, 2 different times the distributor cap had corrosion that caused similar symptoms.