Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 03, 2009

Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-27-2009, 7:15 PM Reply   
just looking for any tips on going here do's and don'ts. planning to go there this summer and don't know anyone who has been to the 'wake mecca island'....thoughts anyone?

Upload
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-27-2009, 8:27 PM Reply   
hi tracey, we went last year in october and had a great time. in fact, we're heading back again this september :-)
we took a trip out to the caramoan islands half way through our stay. it was really cheap, and was a nice break in the middle of all that wakeboarding - it let the bodies recover! you can book that from cwc though, so you shouldn't need to organise it before you go.
there's also buses from cwc to some local hot springs, which are worth a visit.
i hate to say it - but take some gloves. my hands were destroyed riding that much cable. much as i hate gloves, i had no other choice by the end. they sell some gloves there but they were all too big for me.
the massages at cwc are awesome and cheap! probably tip them about 100 pesos.
other general tips (ie wait staff etc) around 20 pesos is ok.
there are shuttles into naga city a couple of times a day. i'd head in there to the supermarket to stock up on bottled water and snack food.
there's also some decent restaurants in town, so remember that when you get sick of the food at cwc. (the food is good, it's just easy to get sick of if you're eating 3 meals there every day...).
let me know if there's anything else you want to know!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-27-2009, 8:34 PM Reply   
i forgot the best thing! getting your laundry done there is CHEAP! so if you're worried about baggage - you really don't need to take a lot. just get laundry done every couple of days. from memory it was a couple of dollars to get a load washed, dried and folded. :-)
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-27-2009, 9:08 PM Reply   
Right on! Good call on the gloves, I do recall when we went to Singapore cable park the handles were wood! We were all raw after 1 day..I too am no fan of gloves
What here did you bring, should I bring my full on get up? Do they have a boat course? I also saw they have motorbikes, is this an mx course too? Which accomodations did you stay in? Thank you for the info..how much $ a day would you say you need? Did you get the accomadations/cable passes same time for an all inclusive deal?
Okay let me catch my breath too many questions :0) I am so stoked to get out there!!
I have tons of questions and open to any and all suggestions!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-27-2009, 9:27 PM Reply   
definitely take all your gear - slider board, vest, helmet, gloves. though, they do have decent hire gear, and a pro shop if you need to buy anything.
They do have a boat lake with an xstar, which is great!
when we were there, they didn't have motorbikes, but that might be new - they are making improvements all the time. they do have scooters you can hire though, to ride around the complex.
there's also the seistec 'winch' park, which is lots of fun - but also the scariest thing i've done on a board - knowing you have to time your ollie right to make it down a 2m concrete drop off into the next pool - scarey!! they have a lot of different pools open now though, so there are less scarey options :-)
accommodation - we stayed in the villas which are the most expensive option. they are pretty nice, and it was handy having a little enclosed yard, cos we could hang our gear around the place to dry.
however, this time we will probably stay in the cabanas or the wood cabins. both are cheaper, and also a bit closer to the actual cable. I'd probably ask for one of the ones closest to the cable when you book.
there isn't really a cable/accommodation combo deal, but everything is so cheap anyway that it doesn't really matter. just get your cable pass once you get there.
$/day is hard to say - do you want me to include accom, cable and food? basically all up it isn't much... plan on a very cheap holiday!
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-28-2009, 12:18 AM Reply   
When are you going? The Asian Championships will be held prob sometime July if you want to include or exclude that time period into your trip. It lasts about 3 days and there will be some awesome riding going on.
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-28-2009, 12:58 AM Reply   
thanks Ali...i'd say minus accommodations..meals passes transportation? i think we are going for whatever accommodations are closest to the cables...not too worried about much more than a place that can let me rest long enough to get up and ride again )

forgot about drying gear..lol

cheesydog...i don't know how i forgot about that!! we were planning july now i have to definitely try to include that event for sure!!
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-28-2009, 1:01 AM Reply   
cheesydog
i just saw your profile...ski 360 was our first cable park...we are probably going to try hit that again on the back end of the trip...nice!! is roy teo still there?
Old    joshj095            05-28-2009, 5:19 AM Reply   
what did you spend in american $$$ your entire trip? and how long was it? - not including flight costs.
Old     (georgi)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-28-2009, 7:17 AM Reply   
I spent somewhere between 2000 - 2500 euro for one month trip including the flight ticket from Europe to the Philippines, plus few trips to some islands and plus a set of board + bindings from the boardshop at CWC.

- Pay cash. Credit cards don't work well outside CWC and taxes are huge.
- Use antibacterial soap. Wash your ears and between toes at least once a day with it!
- Get a good medical travel insurance. Take some cash for just in case. Medical services are pretty expensive and you pay cash. Then you get your money from the insurance company when you get home. (at least with my company Allianz is like that)
- you need a sliderbase board, otherwise you are going to ruin one board for less than a month on the obstacles

Rock On!
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-28-2009, 3:45 PM Reply   
hey tracey, all of the accommodation is walking distance to the cable, and there's also shuttle buses that drive around the complex too, if you're staying in the further accommodation. you're not going to need to factor in transport at all.
so, your daily cost will really just be food and cable. the cable rates are all on their website here: we got a 2 week pass last time, but it just depends how long you're going for.
http://www.camsurwatersportscomplex.com/rates_prices
menu and food prices:
http://www.camsurwatersportscomplex.com/activities_listing/p2_articleid/140
you're better off converting the rates to USD yourself given I was budgeting in AUD!
other possible expenses will be if you want a boat set - 1380php for a 15min set.
that's about it really!
also, they have free wifi, so take a laptop if you have one. no matter how hard you try, it's impossible to ride all day every day :-)
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       05-28-2009, 3:50 PM Reply   
Make sure you change most of the money you plan to spend before you get to CWC because they do not change money there and you will have to go into naga which is cool but I would have rather just staying in CWC.
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-28-2009, 4:24 PM Reply   
georgi-
wow what a great deal!! and walked away with new board and bindings! do they have a good array of demo boards?

aliwake-
great info! i was wondering what the boat sesh went for..thank you

steezyshots-
how far is naga? do they rip you off on exchange or they just dont take foreign $$ at CWC

stupid question is it salt or fresh water??
i have only ridden saltwater. do they have cheap used or demo decks to hit the sliders or should i bring a junk board for sliders?
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-28-2009, 6:13 PM Reply   
naga is very close, but about a half hour drive cos of traffic. shuttles from cwc go there 3 times a day. there's heaps of atms and banks there. we just used atms to withdraw php cash and had no troubles.
they definitely won't take foreign money at cwc! you will need php!
it is fresh water - but safe cos it's pumped from a bore.
i'd probably try to pick up a grind base board to take before you go. the prices are ok on boards there, but will still be cheaper in the US.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       05-28-2009, 8:10 PM Reply   
hey tracy, ski360 was your first cable? Nice one! Yup Roy is still there, definitely hit it up on your way through or back. Also if you have time, some friends just opened a sick new park in Bangkok (TWP) which is well worth a visit, nice obstacles, flat water and great people.
Old     (norbiv)      Join Date: May 2009       05-29-2009, 12:45 PM Reply   
I been there like 4 times. all you can do is maybe get shots. I didnt and Im still alive lol. knock on wood. just dont drink tapwater or ice and try not to swallow the lake water. and u might still get sick for a few days. but it seems like after u get sick once ur immune lol. good luck!
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       05-29-2009, 1:41 PM Reply   
norbiv....yipes! sounds like h1n1....lol i usually round off my sessions with alcohol, so that should kill whatevers ;o)
so it's not saltwater...frickin freshwater! an issue i never had to face before lol

cheesydog...TWP do they have a website? i got a whole lot of different weird sh*t when i googled it
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-01-2009, 12:07 AM Reply   
yup here ya go

http://www.thaiwakepark.com/
Old     (tcan)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-02-2009, 1:20 PM Reply   
thank you!!