Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       12-06-2008, 4:02 PM Reply   
Sorry if this has been touched on before...

with the recent push on spins (more 1080's and even a 1260) and the advanced technologies available today (boat tech and board and boot tech), I have been thinking that a tripple flip of some kind might be MORE within grasp of some of the riders today?

I know Darin Shapiro tried to take his Speed ball to 3 rotations once (or even a few times) in the past and came pretty close, especially for a flip vs a roll. I know shapiro even over-roted some speedballs too, including the one he famously pulled out of with only one foot in!

Has anyone else attempted these things or anyone we expect will or could, feasibly? or would a tripple just be overdramatic and you'd rather see a backside 180 into the flats? ;)
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-06-2008, 10:42 PM Reply   
i'm thinking the first tripple will be a heelside tripple backroll. considering most athletes doing doubles are doing them heelside backrolls.

i think its feasible, but i think it will be a while now that everyone seems to want to be the best at spinning (not that thats a bad thing). its just that tripple flips just doesnt seem to be the focus of today's wakeboarders

shapiro seemed pretty close on the tripple front, but its a bummer that he'll most likely never go back after those brutal crashes. :-(
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-07-2008, 7:51 AM Reply   
the problem with triples is that even with sick air sense after the 2nd flip you loose where you are at until you do them over and over and over. and its hard to do them repeatedly with the hard crashes that inevitably come with them. i think people need to be working on full ins or full outs or half in half out, those would be sick :-)
Old    wiz            12-07-2008, 6:04 PM Reply   
all of the 1080+ spins & double invert stuff just doesnt do much for me. i respect that it takes a ton of skill to do it. the guys sticking this stuff are some of the biggest names in wake, but i'd rather see a nuclear tantrum 2 blind or a big steezy poked out vandall/lyman-esque 180 taken 20 feet into the flats. i wish the pro tour focused more on style. thank god for free riding & dvds.
Old     (tsteeb)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-07-2008, 6:19 PM Reply   
what are full in/ outs and half in/ outs
excuse my ignorance
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-07-2008, 6:36 PM Reply   
Half ins/full outs are twists. Full twisting double front means a double front flip with a full twist (at least I think I'm on the right track based on watching some trampolining during the Olympics) The In and Out part refers to whether the twist is before the flip or after it.

Would be sick to see more rewinds too, I wonder if anyone has ever rewound an invert...

A triple invert would be an awesome thing to see.

(Message edited by jtnz on December 07, 2008)

(Message edited by jtnz on December 07, 2008)
Old     (phil06140)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-07-2008, 7:02 PM Reply   
Maybe the pros are just not ready to step up to that level yet. With the list of riders doing double flips as short as it is, I think it will just take time for the pros to progress to that level. First it would take a complete mastery(subjective word there) of a double flip, I can only think of: Parks, Nunn, Shapiro and Watkins. Even then think about this, how many non-pro riders are there that can land a backroll or tantrum 90% of the time that can also land a double? I've never heard of any but, there might be some, I guess..
I was watching M80 on Fuel the other day and it was talking about Travis Pastrana's double flip on a dirt bike. Most of the other pro MX riders thought it was a huge move but, something that the sport was not ready for at the current time. b/c now they had to catch up to Travis who is more of a freak of nature.
haha and as far as the bs180's go.. I think that we need each side of the sport tech&style just as much, for people to be ignorant of that is way lame.
SO I think our pros are just not ready for triples yet... It would be a huge move with great risk of injury, and would take a rider who is willing to go against the grain aka- Shapiro
Old     (waterdork88)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-07-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
i give mad props to the guys that have crazy clean and poked out grabs aswell as the guys that can throw rediculous rotations around like its nothing. everyones does their own thing and thats what makes wakeboarding great.
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-07-2008, 11:13 PM Reply   
yea jos, youre dead on...sorry sense they havent been done i dont know what to call them in wake...so i called them by the gymnastic names lol

so a full in double back in a back flip with a full twist and then a back flip out of that. a half in half out is a back with a half twist leading to a front with a half twist after. pretty sick looking in the gym :P
Old     (mckenna)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-08-2008, 2:44 AM Reply   
does anyone still do s bends these days... i think they are pretty sick but dont see them often.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       12-08-2008, 6:45 AM Reply   
I do have to point out that, although triple flips seem like a long way off, Danny dropped a 1260 relatively soon after the 1080, and already, the list of riders doing 1080s has gotten pretty big. All it would take is a few riders to get back into the multiple inverts to bring a whole bunch of riders with them. I think a triple flip may be a little ways off, but not as far off as we all might think. As mentioned before, getting those few riders to start attempting them will be the kicker. There is also a lot to be said for those big controlled 180s, as opposed to just hucking a rotation so fast that everyone gets lost. I love it all though.
Old     (tuneman)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-08-2008, 6:54 AM Reply   
Being a double flip attemtpter myself, here's why you don't see them much: If you come up short, it hurts like hell! You can spin all day, as much as you want, and usually what happens is you lose the handle and just spin down in the lake. Failure on multiple flips always results in a major crash.
Old     (snowman89)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-08-2008, 9:15 AM Reply   
I think even landing a triple flip perfectly would still hurt like no other. The flip would be so fast it would just be a straight pounding on the water not to mention the speed of the flip would be so fast you would have such a small margin of error before it equaled blown knees, broken ankles, and numerous concussions.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       12-08-2008, 9:19 AM Reply   
Maybe we'll see a triple someday as the local hereos start taking down the doubles! Here is our local hero getting VERY close! Check the end of the video.
http://www.kyleswakeboarding.com/rodscones.wmv
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-08-2008, 9:51 AM Reply   
Baron Phillips (phil06140)

Add Trevor Hansen to that list, he's got the double backroll. And Dont forget Chad Sharps Douple INdy Backroll.

I would like to see some variationso of Double, Like what Sharp did. Or like Watkins working on Double Back to Blind.
Old     (the_bum)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-08-2008, 10:36 AM Reply   
Theres a few outlaw guys around as well with double backrolls, Parks double halfcab mobe is sick! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhIH8BFPps
Old     (duffmangt)      Join Date: Jan 2008       12-08-2008, 5:02 PM Reply   
YEA! thats what im talking about!....damn i love parks!
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-09-2008, 8:08 AM Reply   
Cant wait for Watkins to land a Double Back to Blind!
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-09-2008, 8:34 AM Reply   
...hes too old, he will die
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       12-09-2008, 8:36 AM Reply   
By Josh Busby (joshbuzz) on Tuesday, December 09, 2008 - 8:34 am:

...hes too old, he will die

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-09-2008, 8:59 AM Reply   
He was super close at the Double or nothing! It was a sweet looking trick! He's got the double on lockdown, so it's gotta only be a matter of time!
Old     (morgs)      Join Date: Nov 2005       12-09-2008, 9:52 AM Reply   
Josh - Too old? You are totally joking right?

http://www.alliancewake.com/video_details.php?id=3956&page=5
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-09-2008, 11:00 AM Reply   
Josh made the mistake of leaving his name saved on my computer
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-09-2008, 11:02 AM Reply   
I've been wreaking havoc all day
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-09-2008, 11:03 AM Reply   
wait is it wreaking or wrecking?
Old     (hawkeye7708)      Join Date: Feb 2007       12-09-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
Wreaking havoc last i checked.