Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-19-2008, 9:23 AM Reply   
With all the people who are riders, company owners, involved with media, etc. in the wakeboard industry here, I was wondering if anyone had any advice. I'd like to have some sort of career that involves wakeboarding. And I mean something that can support myself, possibly a family some day (checked industry jobs, most are p/t pro shop help type). The 2 factors are that it'd have to incorporate a business background and be around the North/NE Ohio area. Any help advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       02-19-2008, 10:06 AM Reply   
you know once you enter that wakeboard industry you dont get to ride any more right?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-19-2008, 10:08 AM Reply   
i can vouch for that!
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-19-2008, 10:11 AM Reply   
Who rides anymore?
Old     (mcfly)      Join Date: Jan 2002       02-19-2008, 10:15 AM Reply   
Andy nailed that one!

McFly
http://waterskiboatsdallas.blogspot.com
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-19-2008, 10:44 AM Reply   
That's definitely a concern...but i'm wondering if enjoying the job and less riding time is a fair trade off...
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-19-2008, 11:34 AM Reply   
If you have some manufacturing skills that would help too.

I sorta came close (not sure how to define close... maybe i wasn't that close as i think) to grabbing up a job in China and Taiwan in the factories with my chinese speaking skills, but since i had like NO manufacturing education it didn't work out.

So, from my run arrounds... learn chinese and manufacturing ;)

p.s./ hijack -
if there is any tours to china and there is a need for a conversational chinese speaker with devotion to wake (cant brag on my skills for either chinese or wakeboarding, only my joy in each) let me know ;)
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       02-19-2008, 11:41 AM Reply   
I always wanted to work in the industry as a kid growing up. Then I learned that the industry doesn't make very much money, which makes it hard to pay for the sport you love. It also works you pretty hard. Now I am much happier making a decent income and actually having free time to ride. Personally, I realized I loved the sport too much to make it my job. Glad I did.

Honestly good luck in Ohio, haven't heard of anything wake related unless you want to be a rep or boat dealer. No "corporate" wake in that neck of the woods. Hahaha "corporate" wake, thats funny.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       02-19-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
You have to work for Wakesports Unlimited for a few years then you get a position somewhere.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-19-2008, 12:19 PM Reply   
Mike, my suggestion is to make money "as efficiently as possible". Thats how you can either get: a second job in the industry doing what you love, or ride as often as possible.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-19-2008, 12:47 PM Reply   
Wake is definitely my second career. There is only a small number of pages to fill each month with hundreds of guys submitting. Income from the wake industry only affords me new camera gear.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       02-19-2008, 1:00 PM Reply   
These are the responses I was afraid of, but it is good to hear. I have friends that own/work at the local Mastercraft dealership and they work like dogs. They have the opportunities to take out brand new boats, but never have the time. Like you guys have said, best advice is work hard, make enough money to support what you love and do it efficiently so there's time to ride.
Old     (soak_up_the_sun)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-19-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
Buy our place. Resort with owners home, plus the board shop on the same property. Check out the listing in industry jobs.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-19-2008, 1:44 PM Reply   
If you love wakeboarding, you will want no part of the industry.

Work is work. No matter what you make your job, it becomes an obligation, therefore a negative in your life. Do not make what you love into your obligation.

If you love to wakeboard, make a ton of money doing something else and enjoy wakeboarding in your time off.
Old     (elantz)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-19-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
Hobby/Sport - Something you LOVE to do.
Career/Job - Something you LIKE doing.

And then you've got it made.
Old     (cavlxenvy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-19-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
I can vouch for most of what is being said. I worked in a shop for 3.5 years. I had to leave before it left a sour taste in my mouth. I never got to use my boat.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-19-2008, 4:30 PM Reply   
Confucious said, "Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life." If wake paid better, I'd be doing it full time for sure!