Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 24, 2008

Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-16-2008, 1:53 PM Reply   
I'm coming off of a 3DS. I rode the 3DS "Finless" to say the least, but it still had those four small molded fins so it was loose when i wanted it to be and it tracked wonderfully when i needed it to. The Covin doesnt seem to have any sorts of channels or molded fins to aid with tracking when the fins come off. I personally love riding without fins. I havent had the chance to give my covin a shot but i was wondering if anyone has ridden the covin without fins.... How does it track? How slippery is it? Can you compare it to the 3DS?

Lastly, IF i have to ride the Covin with fins, is there any way to get .5" fins from Ronix yet? I know the Covin comes standard with the 1" or 1.1" i forget. Thanks in advance guys.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-16-2008, 2:13 PM Reply   
Grind'em down.
Old     (fluid)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-16-2008, 5:24 PM Reply   
Ride it with the fins, if it was supposed to be finless they would build it without them...there is no such thing as finless unless you're riding a Covenant or a Roam. If finless was even half-decent pro riders would do it, have you ever seen a pro-rider ride finless unless for fun? Don't mean to slag you but I owned at least 10 different boards the last few years and if they come with fins ride them with fins...by the way the covin rips!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-16-2008, 6:02 PM Reply   
I would ride my ibex finless at the cables and I almost liked that more then with the fins... then again I was on a roam for like a year so I was use to that
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-16-2008, 6:33 PM Reply   
Todd, I believe riding finless is more personal preferance than anything.

I've never taken a board out of its box and directions on how to ride it fell out. The point is to make your own style and set up with the board.

I ride my Ronix ONE finless, and I prefer it that way; don't believe it says anything about my skill level or that I'm "breaking the rules."
Old     (jealous_soul)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-16-2008, 6:34 PM Reply   
I havent rode mine behind the boat yet, but I have rode it with the fins and finless at the cable. To say the least its a totally different board without fins. Its way faster finless, pretty loose, but if you are a controlled rider it tracks fine I think. Doing air tricks finless its really solid at the cable, its a fantastic board. I rode a premier before and the Covin is heaps better.
Old     (bartush)      Join Date: Jan 2007       02-16-2008, 6:37 PM Reply   
Yea its a really fun ride... rode it awhile ago though so don't remember many details.

btw todd.... yes i have seen pro riders ride without fins.
Old     (hawk7)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-16-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
the thing about the covin is its super thin so it sinks the edge so much faster. ny bro rides it finless and he doesn't usually ride without fins.
Old     (dlwsrider)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-16-2008, 7:17 PM Reply   
By the way, Ronix will be producing smaller fins, within the .8 range

not sure when those will be available.
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-17-2008, 7:49 AM Reply   
I bought .8 Hyperlite P-Wings for mine. Makes a big difference. the 1.1's are just too big.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-17-2008, 11:13 AM Reply   
Jeff, so the .8" P wings will fit the Covin?

Todd, thats why i said Finless in between some of these guys ""
Old     (jcv)      Join Date: Oct 2005       02-17-2008, 12:48 PM Reply   
Yeah, I called Ronix customer service about it, and they told me their boards were compatible with Hyperlite stuff. Bought 'em, and it feels great. Amazing how much difference .3" makes.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-17-2008, 9:14 PM Reply   
Anyone have, or know anyone that has some .8" hyperlite fins? I have about 8 or 12 1.1" hyperlite fins i can trade or sell or whatever, brand new, the A wings. I would like some P wings and give the Covin a shot with those. I dont want to grind down the ones it has right now, i dont trust myself doing so!
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-17-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
its not cheap but here are some
http://buywake.com/catalog/Accessories/finsHardware/Hyperlite
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-17-2008, 9:21 PM Reply   
thanks nick, i know where to buy them, and im aware of the price, thats why i dont want to buy some, hopin someone maybe wants to trade or sell for a lot less. lemme know if you know of anyone, thanks bro
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-17-2008, 10:26 PM Reply   
you could try spinning them around, so they are "backwards" on the board...that should make it looser
Old     (waketac)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-18-2008, 8:33 AM Reply   
O'brien is selling some 0.5 fins. So that might be the way to go. Good things about fins is that you can change it to whatever You like and the character of the board will change with it.
Old     (spicychalupa69)      Join Date: May 2005       02-18-2008, 9:54 AM Reply   
Wakemark, do you know by any chance if they will fit a Ronix Board?
Old     (wakefarmer)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-18-2008, 10:52 AM Reply   
I was at a wake board competition, and chad sharpe had one on the back and one on the front, not sure of the reason behind it though.