Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through January 14, 2005

Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-11-2004, 8:11 PM Reply   
Ok so here's the deal.. I'm going to be buying a boat, got the $$ already to pay in full, within the next 1-3 months. I've been looking around at used SAN's, which there doesn't seem to be very many of them, and I've been to the dealer a couple of times looking at the 05's. I would like to know what you guys think are the pro's and con's of both buying new and used. How many hours do you think is to much on used one's. I'm not sure if I would rather save the $$ on getting a used one with a few hunded hours or if I should just buy new so I have the warranty, ect.. Please let me know what you think and again I am really only looking to buy a super air nautique. Thanks in advance!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-11-2004, 9:20 PM Reply   
My advice is DON'T pay in full what ever you end up getting new or used.Pay minimal down and buy a house!!
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-11-2004, 9:38 PM Reply   
Hey Ed it's Mike, Thanks again for the rides this summer. I already got the house covered so I'm looking into getting my own boat. It would be great to go buy a new one but I really am leaning to getting a used one. I'll take any recommendations I could get.
Old     (cwbrider14)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-11-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   
Peronally I think a newer used boat is the way to go. Nine times out of ten they are loaded with some nice extras that you would pat out of the A$$ for at the dealership. Its already been broken in so you can board the minute it hits the water. And I think the warranty transfers over with the selling of the boat. I could be wrong on that one though. As far as hours go I think a good range is about 50 to 100 hours a year. Depending on how old it it. If I could do it again I would buy used.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-11-2004, 10:03 PM Reply   
There's an 01 in the classifieds with 150 hours on it that I've been looking at for $37,000. I'm not to sure of pricing on used boats. Is there a used boat blue book value? Does anyone know what the warranty was on 01's?
Old     (cwbrider14)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-12-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
Well 150 hours is pretty good for a four year boat. 37,000 isn't bad for a used SAN but again it depends on the condition of the boat as well as what other options are there, as well as what state your buying it in. There is a blue book for boats... but I forgot the name of it off hand. As far as the warranty I think all Sans have a 5 years on them. But it would be better to call a delaer and ask whats standard. Or ask the buyer. Good luck in your purchase, And whatever you do take it out on the watre and make sure you like the drive, feel, and wake.
Old     (hiking42)      Join Date: Oct 2002       12-12-2004, 10:55 AM Reply   
you can get used boat quotes from nadaguides.com They give quotes based on year and options, not hours though.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-12-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   
Mike ~ IMO if you CAN and ther key word is CAN go with new,you can't go wrong.From day one you know what the boat has been through and you know your personal dirt not nobodyelses filth.
On the other note Like I told you few months back,you don't ride enough to own your own boat much less a new one so maybe a old one.As long as you know cool guys like me and maybe somebody else with a SAN,you're good to go.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-12-2004, 4:09 PM Reply   
Thanks Grag and Mark for that info. I have lot's of time so I am checking all my options. Thanks also Ed for the info. One of the main reasons I'm going to get my own boat is so that I can do alot more riding. I've been going back and forth on new vs used. The main reason I might go with new was as you guys said.. you know how it's been treated and all the history on it. Ed you guys are more than welcome when you come down this summer to ride with me if you like and visa versa if that's cool. I'll keep everyone posted as to what I do decide on... thanks again!
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-12-2004, 4:59 PM Reply   
When did the deck change on the SAN? I think it was 02. You might want to look at 02's & 03's because the new deck gave the boat a bit more room, also you could get colour above the rub rail pre 04 which is a nice touch.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-12-2004, 5:46 PM Reply   
Mike ~ I'll definetly take you up on that,especially I'm moving to the Delta in April,May so we can definetly change pulls.
Keep us posted on what you get before you get it got it good.your cool man stay in touch
Old     (wakedoctor)      Join Date: Dec 2004       12-12-2004, 5:53 PM Reply   
My dad's friend told me when i was lookin for a boat you can guess one boat hour is equvalent to 40 road miles. now being a boat it is under constant stress because it doesn't have wheels like a car meaning the motor will wear out faster. Also that new of a boat should have a warranty on it the only reason it wouldn't have is if you was the 3rd maby 4th or more owner, sometimes that voids it.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-12-2004, 7:21 PM Reply   
I'll definatly let you guys know what I decide on before I make my final decision. It would be great to get advise on it before I make the purchase. That's tight that you're going to be moving down here Ed. Is Anthony moving also? We'll definatly have to do a lot of riding.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       12-13-2004, 7:52 AM Reply   
I'm with Ed on this one don't pay in full. Not a good financial decision at all. Money is still relatively cheap to borrow. 5-7%. From a liquidity standpoint your worse off too. A 50k boat is not very liquid. Just my opinion.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-13-2004, 6:05 PM Reply   
Well say I pay a little over half and finance like 20k on a new one. Does anyone have a guess what the monthly payment will be around? I have almost average credit. Also what does insurance on them run about? Wouldn't it be a lot nicer to own it and not have a monthly payment............. such hard decisions
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-13-2004, 8:53 PM Reply   
I have an 03 X-Star for sale. Loaded! Stored inside, located in michigan. Interested?
Old    tclagggym            12-13-2004, 11:17 PM Reply   
I bought my 03SAN at the end of 02 for 48,000 and the same boat new now would cost close to 60,000.
Buying a used SAN would be the way to go. Try boattrader.com.
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       12-14-2004, 12:38 PM Reply   
Mike,
I just sent you an e-mail. Give me a call when you get the chance.
-Matt
Old     (stefmatt)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-14-2004, 6:57 PM Reply   
i have a 2002 sanger v210 loaded tower ballast ready for water, low hours. taking best bids and selling at the end of the month. best so far is 27,000. if you beat, its yours. take a look, you'll see what a deal this is! big wakes AND you can sell later for same/profit to pay for house.
Old     (humboldt9)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-14-2004, 8:00 PM Reply   
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, Matthew where are you located?
Old     (stefmatt)      Join Date: Nov 2004       12-15-2004, 9:18 AM Reply   
phoenix arizona. could get transport for boat/trailer to anywhere usa, but by then all the money you save on the boat goes for shipping...actually you would still save money at this price. all you really need is a 2inch ball and something to tow it with. email if interested, i got loads of picts/info. stefmatt@cox.net
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-15-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
MIKE ~ PLEASE LISTEN TO ME!!!
put down as little as possible!!you can have $30k in the bank ready for maybe a bigger purchase.(buying power is what I'm saying)and pay $350.00 to $400.00 a month or you can have $0.00 in the bank and(no buying power) and pay around $250.00 a month.

Insurence on a new boat is around $500 to $600 annualy.

You can borrow money cheap!!like Adam said about 6%
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-15-2004, 2:50 PM Reply   
Mike ~ ohh and yeah I believe Anthony is comin with!And alot of riding we will do.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-15-2004, 7:06 PM Reply   
Everyone I know who has a boat that they bought new they treat with great care. Who buys a 50k boat and trashes it? If they trashed it, you will be able to tell just from looking at the boat. Go with 50-100 hrs like some guy said. Chances are you can buy a 2-3 yr old boat with tons of extras for like 15k less.
Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       12-15-2004, 7:09 PM Reply   
Im have a 2000 SAN for sale!! save a ton over a new one. asking 34k

www.shawnandmarilyn.com/2000superair.htm

Later
Shawn
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-15-2004, 7:36 PM Reply   
Ok Ed and everyone else I have decided that I will not pay in full. I will put some down though. I'm going to look at used and new. I'm going to the dealer tomorrrow to check out some #'s and I will keep you guys posted. I have a few months so that gives me plenty of time to look around. Ed, I'm looking forward to riding with you guys all summer! Maybe we can plan some weekend trips to check out some places. Hey Shawn, how many hours on your boat and where are you located? Very nice boat!! Let me know.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-15-2004, 10:01 PM Reply   
Shawn ~ Very nice boat indeed!!!

Mike I can definetly see you in it!
Old     (superair)      Join Date: May 2000       12-16-2004, 5:38 AM Reply   
Thanks guys it is a great boat. Mike I emailed you. It needs a new home.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-18-2004, 12:05 PM Reply   
Ok, so I went to the dealer and I'm in love with the 05's. My plan now is to look around for a couple of months at used one's in California. If I don't find something that I love then I'm going to just go with new. I'll post a pic in the future of whatever I end up getting. Thanks again to everyone for all your feedback!
Old    hundo            12-18-2004, 3:09 PM Reply   
Thats going to be a tough one to find an 05 in a couple months. Maybe someone selling one with a hardship. With it being Decemeber you can get a pretty darn good deal on one right now.If you cant find a used one in a few months you will end up paying more for a new one during the "season" . Tough call
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-18-2004, 6:25 PM Reply   
Thanks for letting me know that Don. Maybe I should go order a new then.....?
Old     (supradoug)      Join Date: Dec 2001       12-18-2004, 9:19 PM Reply   
http://okcnetworks.com/boat/index.htm

My buddy is selling his 03, totally taken care of. Always stored, maybe 3-400 miles on the trailer LOADED i think ghe lowered the price to around 44,500.00
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       12-20-2004, 10:40 PM Reply   
Alright I have decided that I am going to buy new. Now I am on the search for the best dealer around me. I will post a pic once I get or order the boat :-)

Thanks again!!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       12-20-2004, 11:22 PM Reply   
Congrats man!!New is the way to go!!!