Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-03-2017, 1:05 PM Reply   
I have been through 3 different lace locks with my ronix bindings and I'm sick of them still loosening. What companies are making Velcro or other options other than laces?
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-03-2017, 2:35 PM Reply   
Slingshot, humanoid, liquid force, all have bindings with Velcro closure. Well slingshot doesn't really anymore, they went to the gummy straps for the newer product.
Old     (Reez)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-03-2017, 3:28 PM Reply   
i replaced he stock laces on my boots ( not liquid force)with liquid force laces and locks. I heard the hold better and they worked great. These laces out of France look promising but pricey https://www.waph.fr/home-english
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-03-2017, 6:55 PM Reply   
Thanks for the info. Anyone have thoughts on any of these?
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-03-2017, 7:13 PM Reply   
I ride the slingshots. Highly recommend over any other brands listed.
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-03-2017, 7:20 PM Reply   
I've owned all of the ones I suggested. I also have a pair of company vandals which are super nice but you can't get those anymore so I don't ride them very often (trying to keep them nice) .
Had 2 pair of slingshot ktv's, a pair of liquid Force vantages, and my cable board currently has some humaniod howls . My fav so far were the slingshots comfort wise but they were difficult to get tight. They also were the first binding ive ever completely destroyed (the heel cup ripped away from the upper on a hard crash). The howls get tight nicely but aren't as comfy in the ankle and liquid forces just weren't comfy at all. Granted they were like the 2011 model and may be better now.
Velcro is easy to get in and out of, but difficult to get tight. What kind of riding do you do? I ended up switching back to a lace up binding on my boat board because I like to get them nice and snug
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-03-2017, 7:22 PM Reply   
I heard the new slingshots are heavy compared to previous years. Probably due to the new baseplate , which looks like a complete copy of the old company bindings. What do you think simplej?
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-04-2017, 4:59 PM Reply   
I also have some slingshot howls I put on my backup board and I can get the Velcro tight but the low ankle support makes them feel "loose."

My ronix ones I've upgraded to the newest version of their lace locks and they already slip after one season. Now I just tie a slip knot in them to stay tight.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       09-04-2017, 8:52 PM Reply   
Todd, I would recommend the OBrien GTX's. Been riding them since 2014 and love them! Lightweight & comfortable, with lots of support. And the velcro quality is heavy duty so they wear out.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       09-05-2017, 9:52 AM Reply   
I have been running these with paracord laces. http://www.niteize.com/product/KnotBone-Cord-Lock.asp
Old     (on_wi)      Join Date: Feb 2013       09-05-2017, 12:36 PM Reply   
I've heard great things about the waphs linked above by Bob (Reez). Expensive, but tight.
Old     (ifinallygota21v)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-05-2017, 6:44 PM Reply   
Any comparisons between '16 and '17 slingshot ktv? Likes/dislikes
Old     (svnfightsvn)      Join Date: Mar 2011       09-06-2017, 4:13 AM Reply   
Well the 17's are very different. New mounting system (heavier I heard) and new closure system (gummy strap vs Velcro)
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-06-2017, 5:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifinallygota21v View Post
Any comparisons between '16 and '17 slingshot ktv? Likes/dislikes
I've had 2 pairs of 2011 KTVs, a pair of 2015s and a pair of 17's. Now.

Their mounting system is now slightly heavier, that's true, but the bindings sit perfectly flat on the board now which is awesome. I ride them on a humanoid so my set up is super heavy anyways. To be honest with you all though, I don't really notice it making too much a difference because all the weight is on and between your feet, aka high weight not necessarily swing weight in the context of a spin.

The gummy straps sucked at first but you learn how tight you have to get them and once you do, they're phenomenal. You can be tight into the support but still stab your grabs out due to the ability to flex naturally that you just couldn't get with Velcro. They also have not worn out much at all this season. Example below
Attached Images