Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (99san)      Join Date: Oct 2013       05-02-2017, 1:04 PM Reply   
I've been riding a 2015 watson 139 and its unpredictable. I think I need something more mellow. What are you guys opinion on a ronix district or a ronix bill? If you have another option please let me know. Thanks!
Old     (Talonsorensen)      Join Date: Apr 2012 Location: Gig harbor Washington       05-02-2017, 1:36 PM Reply   
I would really recommend this or last years Ronix One! One of my favorite boards I have rode. I look for boards that are faster riding and have consist pop this board had it all. I have heard good things about the Bill as well. I know they are deals to be had on last years Ronix one!

Last edited by Talonsorensen; 05-02-2017 at 1:37 PM. Reason: spelling errors
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-02-2017, 3:04 PM Reply   
This seems to be a bit vague for getting advice. What unpredictable things does the Watson do? Are you looking for advice to try or advice to buy? Because the later is a good way to waste money. If you can describe what the problem you are having with the Watson, then maybe someone who has experienced the same issue and found a good board can give you the best chance at being steered the right direction.

I had been riding my cable board behind the boat and it seemed ok. Then I won a CWB standard and found it had a lot more pop. Unfortunately it was unpredictable for me when initiating my turn to cut into the wake. It did this on both toe and heelside. I'd initiate the turn and it felt like the tail would slide and the board wouldn't hook it. It was always a double take before the board got into a solid cut. Even though I loved the pop I couldn't deal with the wobbly start. But now knowing I wanted more pop and really needed two different boards for the cable and boat I borrowed a Ronix One and had a similar issue. Clearly something to do with my riding style. I ended up on a CWB Reverb just recently.

The moral of the story is just because you have a board that works for others, you don't know if it''s going to work for you. So getting advice from someone with your same problem is probably going to be better than advice from a random selection of people who love their board.
Old     (99san)      Join Date: Oct 2013       05-02-2017, 4:18 PM Reply   
The biggest issue I have with the watson 139 is the pop. Seems to be really abrupt which throws me off balance. Sometimes I feel like I know when it's going to pop and other times it pops before I think it should. These issues are directly related to me so I'm looking for a board with a mellow consistent pop. I'm 145 5'8 and I was thinking a ronix bill, district or ronix one in a 134. Not sure if the watson 139 is too big or to advanced for my skill set.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-02-2017, 5:49 PM Reply   
I'm 145 5-7 and ride a 136, 138, and 142. Rode a 134 Motive for years but wouldn't get that small a board now. IMO the board matters more than the size. For any given board I'd pick the 139 over the 134 if I had to buy sight unseen or rent to demo.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       05-03-2017, 6:06 AM Reply   
I agree with John. Some seasons I try a few boards before I find what I like. I hate slow boards that drag, I hate wide boards (these two characteristics seem to go together), and I hate the rolled / rounded edge that a lot of new boards have which I found contribute to the problem John had with the Standard where the board breaks loose while setting the edge. It's obviously not a problem for Josh Twelker, but for others it is. Everyone is different.

You should try to ride many boards and find out what you like and how the shape of the board impacts the ride. I like molded fin, narrow, spine, sharp edge all the way down, medium rocker. But it took years to figure all that out.

With that said I've been riding the CWB reverb and think it's the best board ever made (for me). Many of the up and coming CWB riders are on that board including Damien.

Last edited by jarrod; 05-03-2017 at 6:08 AM. Reason: because
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       05-03-2017, 7:02 AM Reply   
The two biggest factors that are causing you issues the rocker line and the shape of the tip and tail. The board you are currently riding has a 3-stage rocker that gives you that explosive pop you are not liking. The other part are the tip and tail help with the consistency of the board, while I do feel it might be more of a riding issue than a board issue (trying to leave the wake to early vs just right). Find something with a continuous rocker to start, board will ride faster but they lack that abrupt pop off the wake. The Bill board is a really good board, pretty consistent but still aggressive for someone that doesn't want a 3-stage rocker. I would look at a lot of boards like others have said. Even though a board has a continuous rocker, they could ride very different. Look at the HL vagabond vs the HL Marek. Get to your local proshop with an idea of how you want your board to ride like and let them show all the different stuff. They will know.

And honestly, something with mellow pop will probably lay on the beginner side of the spectrum for boards, most pro model board even the continuous rocker ones are pretty aggressive.

Last edited by tweeder; 05-03-2017 at 7:10 AM.
Old     (99san)      Join Date: Oct 2013       05-03-2017, 7:22 AM Reply   
Thanks for the advice guys, I'm leaning towards a ronix district. There isn't a proshop around here and I can't try any boards before I buy, thats another reason i am looking for suggestions.
Old     (troberts2)      Join Date: Jan 2017       05-03-2017, 11:32 AM Reply   
It sounds like you limiting yourself to Ronix. The Bill is one of the more user friendly boards that I've seen from them personally.
Old     (99san)      Join Date: Oct 2013       05-03-2017, 11:39 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by troberts2 View Post
It sounds like you limiting yourself to Ronix. The Bill is one of the more user friendly boards that I've seen from them personally.
I'm open to any brand but have been looking at ronix the most. Brand doesn't matter to me as long as my ronix boots will bolt up. What brand/board do u have in mind?
Old     (troberts2)      Join Date: Jan 2017       05-04-2017, 8:19 AM Reply   
I'm currently riding a Slingshot Oli and Slingshot Whip. Others that I would suggest from a consistency standpoint would be.
1) Hyperlite Vagabond
2) CWB Standard
3) Hyperlite Murray

I feel as if the Bill would be a good board for you too though as it seems really predictable and consistent on pop. (If you did go with Ronix)
The One is a 3 stage like your current Watson if I remember correctly and it has a lot of abrupt, straight up pop. Obrien has also stepped it's game up the last few years. Are you going to be riding boat/cable or just boat?
Old     (99san)      Join Date: Oct 2013       05-04-2017, 11:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by troberts2 View Post
I'm currently riding a Slingshot Oli and Slingshot Whip. Others that I would suggest from a consistency standpoint would be.
1) Hyperlite Vagabond
2) CWB Standard
3) Hyperlite Murray

I feel as if the Bill would be a good board for you too though as it seems really predictable and consistent on pop. (If you did go with Ronix)
The One is a 3 stage like your current Watson if I remember correctly and it has a lot of abrupt, straight up pop. Obrien has also stepped it's game up the last few years. Are you going to be riding boat/cable or just boat?
I'll look at HL, boat, no parks. I have a 99 super air nautique and I've heard that this boat has a rampier wake than most.
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       05-06-2017, 12:48 PM Reply   
The '99 super air has a pretty steep wake. I'm sure that's causing a bit of the inconsistent pop. Classic wake though, just takes some getting used to. I had one for 10 years. I found a blended 3 stage or abrupt continuous rocker worked well on that wake. I would give that Cwb Reverb Jarrod was talking about a try. Not that expensive either.

Last edited by Readyaimfire; 05-06-2017 at 12:52 PM.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       05-10-2017, 7:27 AM Reply   
I heard the Code 21/22 I believe this year the code 21 is the new one the 22 might be discontinued, had a expensive core that wasn't selling or something..??..anyway its supposed to ride as close to a traditional board out there..The Bill IMO is a cable board I rode one for 3 years at the park but behind the boat I couldn't get much pop from it..

Last edited by bill; 05-10-2017 at 7:29 AM.
Old     (99san)      Join Date: Oct 2013       05-15-2017, 6:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Readyaimfire View Post
The '99 super air has a pretty steep wake. I'm sure that's causing a bit of the inconsistent pop. Classic wake though, just takes some getting used to. I had one for 10 years. I found a blended 3 stage or abrupt continuous rocker worked well on that wake. I would give that Cwb Reverb Jarrod was talking about a try. Not that expensive either.
Looking at the reverb, the 136 is up to 140lbs and the 141 is 130+. Should I get the 141 or the 136. I'm 140lbs, lost a few lbs.
Old     (MystiikVLX)      Join Date: Jul 2014       05-16-2017, 9:12 AM Reply   
what part of the country are you located?