Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Girls Who Ride

Old                08-01-2005, 8:27 PM Reply   
I am going to strip mine off this weekend and see how it feels. I was just curious as to who rides with or without fins. If you ride with them, what size?
Those that made the switch, do you feel your overall technique has changed, and in what way?
Any pointers would be appreciated...
Thx
-jesi
Old                08-02-2005, 6:30 AM Reply   
I ride my Substance 138 with and without fins - depends on how I feel. The fins I do have on there are 1.1 (I think).
I think that when you ride without fins it actually helps your technique, because it forces you to use your edges instead of relying on the fins for your cuts. I should ride finless more often actually. A lot of people tend to let up on their edge before they hit the wake. If you don't have fins you might lose your edge and the board could slip out.
Riding finless really helps me if I feel like I am getting lazy with my edging.
Just keep in mind that the board will feel much looser without fins. Have fun!
Old     (sammie)      Join Date: Jul 2005       08-02-2005, 8:03 AM Reply   
I just started wakeboarding this year. I don't have fins on my board and actually had no clue you should have them! I'm not doing any tricks yet at all but am able to cross the wake on both sides and get a small bit of air in doing so. I did call the board mfg. and they are supposed to be getting me some fins. So I guess all in all I am doing ok as I guess we are learning the hard way :-)
Old                08-02-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
I ride without fins. For one, my fins that came with my board were huge and two, I find it easier without them. I found with my fins, they kind of forced me to cut slowly towards the wake, like I couldn't edge harder or anything...if i'm making any sense, haha.
Old                08-02-2005, 9:02 AM Reply   
That does make a lot of sense... the more I think about it, my fins may be gripping too hard when I cut out on my TS edge. hmmmmm. yeah, i'm definitely going to take them off.

thx
-jesi
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-02-2005, 8:04 PM Reply   
Jesi,

I am not sure if my friend Sara was on the other day when you were with me, but if you watch her ride finless, she smokes. Especially surface tricks, lip slides, etc. You can either pull your own and try it, or I can bring her board for you to try. I pulled mine a couple months ago, and it is a BLAST. Give it a try.
Old                08-02-2005, 8:09 PM Reply   
That's actually who I was talking to about it. I was asking her some questions, since she KILLS it. She was saying her entire style changed once she took them off. I've already stripped mine, now it's a matter of NOT breaking, pulling, tearing, or blowing something important!

You gonna be out Friday???

-jesi
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-02-2005, 10:31 PM Reply   
Thursday for sure. You in? Not sure about Fri since I have to work at 1P. I'll call ya!
Old     (ladyboarder)      Join Date: Feb 2001       08-03-2005, 6:17 AM Reply   
I ride my absolute finless, but ride with the fins that came with the transcend. Part of what helped me learn correct edging techniques was riding for one year on a board with no fins, no molded fins, no channels, just flat bottom. You have nothing to allow you to cheat your edge, you have to use the rails. I learned how to properly edge all the way through the wake to get pop. So many people are getting spoiled by "finless" boards that have molded fins. You want to learn to edge correctly, go get one of the older or lower end boards that have a flat bottom and ride it without fins. Better yet, grab a wakeskate and ride it finless, no cheating there. By the way, the board I rode finless was a '98 Jobe Tantrum, yeah, had those little dimples in the bottom of it and that was pretty much it.
Later
Tiff
Old                08-03-2005, 9:21 AM Reply   
I just recently started riding finless. I took them off to work on edging properly, but I guess I'm still cheating since I have molded fins. I am liking it without the fins though. It's too soon to tell if it's helped me.
Old     (blake_hughes)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Weatherford, Texas       08-03-2005, 9:37 AM Reply   
I do!

-Blake
Old                08-03-2005, 10:48 AM Reply   
Andrea,
My board has molding fins, so I'm banking on the fact that hopefully that will help me make the transistion. What board do you ride?

Blake,

Riding finless helps you? Maybe you should ride WITH fins,(joking, just joking) I guess I'm just not that familiar with your riding...!!!

Smart a**!

-jesi
Old     (addictedchick)      Join Date: Jan 2005       08-03-2005, 9:23 PM Reply   
I ride with .7's and no center fin. It's great. It takes about a day to get used to it. I'll never go back to all my fins.
Old                08-03-2005, 9:43 PM Reply   
Alexis,

Are you guys or Kevin and Lisa going to be out on San V at all this weekend? I could definitely use some pointers from some one...

-jesi
Old                08-08-2005, 11:07 AM Reply   
Jessica,
I ride the 03 Diva. Even with the molded fins, I think it will help some. Maybe not as much if it didn't have the molded fins though.

-Andrea
Old                08-08-2005, 9:52 PM Reply   
I ride a 04 hyperlite essence and i had to take the fins off when i was hitting sliders and i just left them off, and liked it cause i could do surface tricks alot better. My fins would catch and i would face plant or back plant. but i like it a lot more
Old                08-08-2005, 10:06 PM Reply   
Well, I took the fins off my board. Thankfully, I didn't bring a screwdriver because I almost wimped out after the first ride. A few drinks later, I was loving my board (Hyperlite NYX 135, AKA the 03 Premier) finless. I found that I was forced to hold my edge while cutting in to the wake.

Unfortunately, I cut in a little too hard on too short of a rope and landed like six feet in to the flats. This would have been great, had I relaxed my knees. Now, I'm out for a possible ACL tear, among other destruction in my knee!!! UGH!!

Thanks for all the advice though...I will definitely continue to ride finless.

-jesi
Old                08-09-2005, 3:59 AM Reply   
Hi Girlies,

first of all, stoked to find girls that ride.

I started riding finless on my 125cm liquid force squirt coz the fins I got were 2.5 cm and I could not slide or anything. Then got some 1cm slider fins and I honestly can't tell they are there so don't know if they help me at all.

Just got a Liquid Force Angel, 134cm and have put the small curved side fins but left the main central fin off.

Feels good to me.