Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Collegiate Wakesports

Old     (tdelin15)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-14-2006, 8:29 AM Reply   
I am looking into starting a wakeboarding/waterskiing club at the University of Georgia. I heard you can get companies like Mastercraft to sponsor your club so that you can afford boats and stuff. Is this true?
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-14-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
It is possible. Not easy, but possible.

My son is the president of the wakeboard club at California State University, Sacramento. They have a very sweet deal where they get use of a very nice boat, a Super Air Nautique. A new one, each year.

It is more than just for the club, however. CSUS has a very nice aquatic center and they teach kids camp during the summer and private ski and wakeboard lessons. They have had a competition water ski team for a long time (they get use of a new Ski Nautique each year as well).

The boats are used, a LOT.
Lots of people get exposed to the boats. Little Johnney learns to go wake to wake and goes home tells dad that they need to buy a boat like that one.

If the only use of the boat was for a wakeboard club then I would not expect you to get much support. There is only a few months of each school year the the wakeboard club is active.

The CSUS sponsership is through the local Correct Craft dealer, not directly from Correct Craft. Don't try to cut the local dealer out of the loop, that won't go over too well.

I suspect that you are going to encounter the old "chicken and egg" problem. It will be hard to start a club if you don't have a boat. You won't get a boat until you have a club.

Don't forget that the boat will be the cheap part. The boat will need maintenance. Things will break and need to be repaired. You will need some serious insurance coverage. The boat will need to be stored some place.

Does your school have a waterski club? The CSUS wakeboard club was part of their waterski club until a couple of years ago.
Old     (tina9637)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-13-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
I go to Florida Southern College and we have a waterski team that is 3rd in the nation and a lake on campus. I've met a lot of people here that say they love to wakeboard too, but there isn't a club. I would really love to start one and get a boat. Do we think this would be possible?
Old     (randyman)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-17-2007, 7:15 AM Reply   
Most boat companies will not donate a boat for free. Unless you have a top tier team or are very involved in the community.

Dealership's have been known to cut a considerable discount to college clubs up to 30% off retail.

Theoretically, If your club could finance the boat you could sell the boat at the same cost you purchased it at. Then get a new one every year or two.

It would be easier to find a third party to finance the boat. Then charge dues to make payments.

Build a team first. Wakeboarders know other wakeboarders and most already have access to a boat. A boat is great to have but not necessary at first. Plus, if you run in to some good people they could help you by offering their boat for team practices and so on.

Get involved on campus, get involved in the community, and get your team noticed. Then you will be in a better bargaining stage with the boat companies.

Good Luck!