Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (johnny4220)      Join Date: May 2015       05-19-2015, 10:41 AM Reply   
just got our 2011 VLX wakesetter and went out to surf for the first time behind it. Overall very happy with the push and was able to surf it with factory ballast, we screwed around with ballast and power wedge and landed on the following settings that seemed the best for the day:
Surf Left:
Rear left 100%
Rear right 50%
Center 100%
Front 80%
Wedge deployed at 88%
Speed 9.8

I would like to get the wake longer and taller (doesn't everyone) looking at adding a 750 rear left locker bag to the boat. When the front is loaded it is very low to the water, so I do not want to put more weight up there. I have read that adding weight to the surf side will make the wake taller, and increase the speed to about 10.6 to add more length. Other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       05-19-2015, 11:28 AM Reply   
Yeah, I would add a 750 in the rear locker and that'll probably do it. I've surfed a VLX (2012) with stock ballast and a 10 person crew (loaded people to one side) and it gets big for sure!
Old     (johnny4220)      Join Date: May 2015       05-19-2015, 2:15 PM Reply   
what speed? Should a speed increase lengthen out the wake?
Old     (Smooky)      Join Date: Jun 2014       05-20-2015, 1:45 AM Reply   
Speed increase lengthen out the wake for sure. And weight in the bow as well. So I will fill the front 100%

If you put to much weight in the back, the wave will be shorter as well. So if you had an additional 750 in the back, front need to be full.

On the other hand, try to empty the rear right ballast as you are surfing left side. You are looking to list the boat on the surf side, by putting weight on the other side, you are doing the opposite.

I have a 2014 VLX with surfgate, and I'm surfing around 17 km/h, which is around 10.6 mph. When I run the boat around 9.8 mph the wave doesn't look nice, and increase the speed is a big improvement.

Try to run the boat without surfing, one time with right ballast 50% and one time empty, and for sure put a 750 rear locker left. When you figure out which configuration seems to make the best wake, then adjust the speed with the cruise control until you have the nicest wake. Start with 9.8 mph, and increase the speed one click by one click, and I' m sure you will find the good speed.

Good luck !

Last edited by Smooky; 05-20-2015 at 1:49 AM.