Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       02-20-2015, 11:09 AM Reply   
Looking for a board for my daughter who is 10 and about 75 pounds. We tried to get her up last year on my wife's 4.8 board and she wasn’t strong enough to get up, unless we were in the water helping to flip the board to pop her up. I want to make it easy for her to get up and get excited about Wake Surfing this year. Does Anyone have experience with either the 2015 Phase 5 Scamp ( Fiberglass ) or the Victoria Grom Debut ( Wood ) is more of a skim board made out of wood with a resign over the top of it. The guy from Cal Marine said the Victoria would be easier for her to get up since it’s a skim and would pop up easier. Looking for feedback I like the idea of the the Victoria being wood and I wouldn’t have to worry about dings.

Has anyone had experience with either the boards below ?

2015 Phase 5 Scamp
http://calmarinesports.com/wakesurf-...-5-scamp.html#

Victoria Debut Grom
http://calmarinesports.com/wakesurf-...ebut-grom.html

Thx
Dave
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-20-2015, 11:29 AM Reply   
Both boards are skim style wakesurf boards. And both are very easy for light weight riders. The wood board just sits deeper which makes it easier to get up on and it is more stable when riding, plus it absorbs the impact of rough water better for a smooth ride.

Both are the best boards to teach light weight riders
Old     (nittyp)      Join Date: Aug 2014       02-20-2015, 1:17 PM Reply   
We have the Phase 5 Scamp Jr. on our boat. My daughters are 8 and 11 and both rode it last year. Popped right up.. Not letting go of rope just yet but getting there. My eight year old started on her stomach and they as we started going she stood up.

Great board so far. Pretty well made too. We just got a Phase 5 LUV for my 11 year old as the Scamp was a bit small for her.
Old     (v10rider)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-20-2015, 3:04 PM Reply   
Phase 5 scamp has been great for my 10yo last summer. Popped right up and he went ropeless after the 3rd try.
Old     (kpaustin84)      Join Date: Jan 2015       02-23-2015, 10:18 AM Reply   
http://www.shortbusskims.com/grom-bomb/ here is the grom bomb by short bus board company, its surf style so it will float and be more controllable by a beginner as to a skim thats a bit squirrely. has FCS2 fin boxes to detach fins without screws.
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       02-23-2015, 10:56 AM Reply   
Dave,

Pretty much what Mitch said. If you are looking between those two boards, I would tend to lean towards the Victoria for the reasons Mitch outlined and the durability/economy factor you mention. You cannot go wrong ordering it up from CalMarine online or popping into the store. Great family run business and long time supporters of the sport.

When and if she is ready to step up to a surf style board, I would recommend the Chaos Nano, basically the first surf style grom wakesurfboard and the first designed for competitive riders, or the Chaos Contender. I have a demo Contender I put together for Raleigh Hager, I can let go of for a steal.

Nick
Old     (LKASurfing)      Join Date: Nov 2011       03-03-2015, 3:32 AM Reply   
Although the Phase 5 board is a skim style it comes with 3 fins which is great for the stability for a beginner. This also give the board a surf feel as well. As the rider progress, swap fins around an this board is an aggressive skim board. Far more versatily with this board!
Old     (Chorn)      Join Date: Oct 2014       03-18-2015, 4:43 PM Reply   
We have no experience with the Victoria but my kids love the phase 5. Very stable for a skim style when you use all 3 fins and they have an easy time popping up on it and I have even used it myself with no squirreliness at all.
Old     (cragrat)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-19-2015, 8:24 AM Reply   
Brigade AVIATOR!!!
Attached Images

Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       03-19-2015, 8:59 AM Reply   
For anyone wondering, he ended up getting the Phase5 Scamp.
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-24-2015, 11:02 PM Reply   
Ended up getting the Phase 5 really due to my daughter didn't like the basic wood look..
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       04-25-2015, 9:05 AM Reply   
Hey Dave, has she had a chance to get out and ride it? If so, how is it working out for her?
Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       04-28-2015, 10:28 PM Reply   
Steve haven't had a chance to get her out on it we might go this weekend hopefully.
Old     (ApplebyMommy)      Join Date: Sep 2012       07-01-2015, 7:20 PM Reply   
She surfs a Hyperlite Broadcast, but we just bought a Ronix Koal Thruster she will be trying it out soon.

Old     (brewkettle)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-02-2015, 4:08 AM Reply   
Craig Oppegaard just got these for his kids
Attached Images

Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       07-02-2015, 9:29 AM Reply   
We went with the Phase5 Scamp for my son. He's 9 years old buy only weighs 55 pounds. We're still working on getting him up on it, so no solid reviews yet. Maybe tonight will be the night!

Before he was trying to us my Wife's 4'8 Ronix Caption and it was just way too big for him to muscle. He is definitely going to do better on the Scamp with it being I think 11" shorter.

He loves it and thinks he's the 'cool kid'

For me, the deciding factor was price and availability. Wakemakers sells them for $279 and with a 10% forum discount you're in at $251 with no tax and free shipping (plus I had a store credit at WM that I needed to use up). So not that much more than the Vic. I live a few hours away from Wakemakers, so fedex had the board at my house in less than 24 hours from when I ordered it.

Wakemakers sold out of them again though... http://www.wakemakers.com/phase-5-sc...urf-board.html
Old     (MidIifecrisis)      Join Date: Aug 2015       05-24-2016, 10:01 AM Reply   
Where did you ever get the wakemakers promo code from? a mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayson View Post
We went with the Phase5 Scamp for my son. He's 9 years old buy only weighs 55 pounds. We're still working on getting him up on it, so no solid reviews yet. Maybe tonight will be the night!

Before he was trying to us my Wife's 4'8 Ronix Caption and it was just way too big for him to muscle. He is definitely going to do better on the Scamp with it being I think 11" shorter.

He loves it and thinks he's the 'cool kid'

For me, the deciding factor was price and availability. Wakemakers sells them for $279 and with a 10% forum discount you're in at $251 with no tax and free shipping (plus I had a store credit at WM that I needed to use up). So not that much more than the Vic. I live a few hours away from Wakemakers, so fedex had the board at my house in less than 24 hours from when I ordered it.

Wakemakers sold out of them again though... http://www.wakemakers.com/phase-5-sc...urf-board.html
Old     (trayson)      Join Date: May 2013 Location: Vancouver WA       05-24-2016, 10:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidIifecrisis View Post
Where did you ever get the wakemakers promo code from? a mod?
They have them on a lot of the forums. I got mine on the Moomba forum from a moderator. that said, just call Wakemakers and ask them if you can get a 10% forum discount and they should help you.