Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (scotthons)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-26-2015, 7:56 AM Reply   
I am looking at picking up my first board. We have always been 100% wakeboard on our boat, but it would be nice to have options especially when the water is a little rough. Just like wakeboarding it is not something I am looking to take too seriously and do not want to spend big $$$ on a board. I found a Hyperlite Coex 4'4 board for I hope a good deal. I am 6'0, 180lbs and goofy foot. We have an '06 Supra 21V with 650s in the rear and 1100 in the ski locker (our setup for wakeboarding). I would probably want to pick up an additional bag and pump for surfing.

Any suggestions on the weight setup for this boat? Also, any opinions on the board I mentioned? Thanks in advance for any help. Scott
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-26-2015, 8:23 AM Reply   
The Hyperlite Coex is a good first board. I really enjoyed it when I rode it. The 4'4" board is a little small for you but it would be fine till you get the hang of playing in the wake. The board has good speed to help you down the line.

Have you looked at making the surf gates for your boat that attach to the swim platform?
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       03-26-2015, 8:26 AM Reply   
Hi Scott,

I've had the Coex 4'4" since 2005. It was a great board at the time and has treated me well over the years. Im 6'4" and about 200 lb. Im certainly on the upper limit for weight on this board and need a sizable wave to ditch the rope. I was 16 when I bought it and weighed around 175 still needed a good size wave so kep that in mind. With that weight in your boat it should surf well. Very maneuverable and better than any other wake surfboard I've ridden from from the early years of production models. Good for skim style tricks with a little more rocker than you see in modern boards. The rounded surf rails cover about 3/4 of the length from the nose then transition into a crisp wakeboard style rail, so when you want to rip some turns its more weight on the tail and as a result with slow you down some, so be prepared to to lean forward and pump back into the wave. It air's well enough but certainly not like the latest surf style boards with big fins. I still have the stock ~2"sure fin" on mine, gives enough tracking but still unlocks and makes flat water spins pretty easy.

Caution; if you want something that will keep a wave easily for everyone you might want to try something bigger with more planing surface area.

Overall summary: I'd say go for it. The rocker makes it easy to ride and not pearl the nose, the rail transitions make it pretty versatile for cruising and ripping turns. I have used it every season for the last eight years, super durable, all of my friends have ridden it over the years, it has some battle wounds but construction is really sturdy compared to a Fiberglas board. I will probably never get rid of it.