Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (megsswm)      Join Date: Jul 2009       06-20-2014, 4:39 PM Reply   
We currently have a 2011 A-22 and our current tow vehicle is an 04 1500 Sierra z-71. We live in a somewhat mountainous area and notice she struggles on grades to tow te boat. We are looking to trade her in for a new Sierra or Chevy. The question is do we need a 2500 hd or is the new 14 or 15' 1500 with the retooled engine ( more horsepower, six versus four sopped transmission of our current truck) enough. There is a significant price difference which is why we would like to stick with a 1500 but just aren't sure if we will be happy with it.
The boat is the heaviest thing we tow... A possible travel trailer is lighter.
We are not looking at Ford or Dodge etc as we get employee pricing thru GM.
Any feedback would be really appreciated! Especially if you have a 1500 Sierra or 2500.
Old     (ryanbush11)      Join Date: May 2003       06-20-2014, 5:40 PM Reply   
I have both a 5.3 and 6.2 in the NBS GM trucks... they both tow ok for our work trailers (light) but when I tow my boat I always use one of our diesels. The gas truck will tow it fine but there is no way i would tow with anything but a diesel.

Bottom line, you can manage with a gas... if the diesel is within your means do it and don't look back. As a bonus we always get better resale percentage back on our diesels than our gas trucks.
Old     (k2rider)      Join Date: Jun 2014       06-23-2014, 7:41 AM Reply   
The gearing on the truck helps too. I'm in Maine where it's really hilly as well. I have a 1500 with the 5.3 and 4.10 gears and the thing pulls well and only on really big hills do I notice my Malibu 23 LSV behind the truck. I've towed it with my parents suburban with the 5.3 and the 3.73 gears and it's a whole different story, the tow/hall option with those gears is like the normal driving situation behind my truck without tow/hall and you notice the boat a lot more.

The 2500's really nice and that’s what I originally wanted but with both options it's a little tougher with gas depending on how/where you drive. I looked into everything as I drive about 70 miles a day, the diesel was nice especially for open highway driving a tune would put out numbers that a gas one couldn’t touch. But if you were in traffic a lot like I am the gas mileage sucked and the 8.1 in the 2500 gas option just drank gas in every option. Loved the truck though, but with my current job I couldn't justify it. I’ve towed with both and there is nothing like towing with a diesel truck.