Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-21-2015, 2:11 PM Reply   
I will make this as quick of a story as possible. We were out tubing and swimming, headed back to the slip when my boat started missing, we were at low speed, low idle, started missing bad and died completely, wouldn't start. Thought it was out of fuel so we got a tow to the marina. Filled it up, it wasn't empty, because it only took about 30 gallons (47 gal tank). Started right up, went back out, ran great for about 15 mins, then started missing again, no power, was shuddering, couldn't go faster than 8-10 mph, but it didn't die completely. Made it back to the slip.

Pulled it out, pulled the fuel filter, dumped it out thinking there may have been water in the fuel and that was the issue. Dumped a can of seafoam in the fuel and put it back together. Took it back to the lake, started right up, drove it about a mile across the lake, ran great! Put it in the slip, left it running, due to my nervousness now, and about 5 mins later it starts sucking air, shaking and almost dies, missing bad. Catches itself, and idles fine for 3-5 mins. Then again the same thing. Every 3-5 mins shudders, misses, and almost dies.

I did check to make sure the low fuel pump was plugged in, but that was it after that episode.

Anyone point me in the right direction please? Thank you. I was thinking fuel pump?
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       06-21-2015, 5:38 PM Reply   
no fuel or no spark.

probably no fuel though because with no spark the unburnt fuel would have to go somewhere and you would smell it.

could be fuel pressure (bad pump) or the thingy that does the injector timing. I'm not a pro at fuel injection.

Its probably throwing a code in the computer. if you could find a way to read them that might tell you more.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-21-2015, 6:33 PM Reply   
Would it throw a code with no alarm?
Old     (Riley212)      Join Date: May 2015       06-22-2015, 3:34 AM Reply   
I dunno I'm not a pro mechanic, and i"m more familiar with working on old computer-less stuff. Hopefully someone with more knowledge chimes in.
Old     (patrick232)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-22-2015, 5:12 AM Reply   
If hot out might be vapor lock. Next time try running the blower before shutting down or opening the engine cover when stopped.
Old     (fouroheight68)      Join Date: May 2006       06-22-2015, 8:13 AM Reply   
I had same issue with my mercuiser mag mpi, the issue ended up being a fuel filter. There were two fuel filters and the fuel water separator. One filter was below the floorboards. Look at a fuel system diagram and identify where the filters are.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-22-2015, 9:14 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrick232 View Post
If hot out might be vapor lock. Next time try running the blower before shutting down or opening the engine cover when stopped.
It was running when this happened, not parked and stopped. I really thought about vapor lock, but shouldnt be an issue when running right?

Also, I changed the fuel filter after the first episode, acted the same after i changed the filter.

Im telling you guys, im baffled at this point.
Old     (masongardner)      Join Date: Jan 2014       06-22-2015, 9:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
I had same issue with my mercuiser mag mpi, the issue ended up being a fuel filter. There were two fuel filters and the fuel water separator. One filter was below the floorboards. Look at a fuel system diagram and identify where the filters are.
Its a weird setup with these motors, the fuel/water separator is built into the same canister with the fuel filter, just the one on these motors, 2 fuel pumps, low pressure pump and high pressure pump, i think im at the pumps looking for issues now, just need to figure out how to test them. My last 2 tanks of fuel came from the marina, and they havent had any other issues with water in the fuel so i am about 75% sure thats not the problem.