Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-17-2017, 10:56 AM Reply   
Hey guys, Just curious if anyone has experience with different brads of wakeshapers. I'm looking at getting a simple suction cup device. I'm aware I can build one but don't really have the time/desire. I'm primarily a wakeboarder but we wakesurf occasionally.

The two that I'm thinking of are the Swell shaper:

http://www.swellwake.com/

And the Mission Delta shaper:

https://www.wakemakers.com/mission-d...rfZxoCzSTw_wcB

I have a 2008 Super Air Nautique 230.

Thanks!
Old     (jaed)      Join Date: Feb 2012       05-17-2017, 12:00 PM Reply   
I have the mission delta for my MB boat and really like it.
Some times it is a pain to stay put but work at it a little bit and it is fine.
Really like the wave rather than leaning the boat.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-17-2017, 12:39 PM Reply   
We added the Nauticurl to our NXT22 and it works great.
Old     (StuartC80)      Join Date: Apr 2014       05-17-2017, 4:50 PM Reply   
I ordered a Sylvan wake shaper from Amazon, today. It should be here Friday, hopefully I can provide a review after the weekend.
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       05-17-2017, 6:07 PM Reply   
You are gonna get mixed reviews on all of them and every suckgate is gonna fall off sometimes...key is to push on the suction cups hard before you push over the toggle, that way it sticks most of the time. Really your hull design is what is gonna determine what style to get. Flat is best of course but all the new designs have some curve to them or it "steps" down as it goes down (mine does). I have heard good and bad things about Swell, mission delta and Nauticurl. The delta is the most expensive at $400 and I have heard several people say the plastic can crack easy and the lanyard sucks (but it does float I think).... Nauticurl and Swell are around $200...I also think the new swell floats. I got a Nauticurl cause its made of aircraft aluminum, upside is it cannot break and I like that you can put it all the way to transom of boat due to design, the downside is it does not float being aluminum, but it works well for my Centurion SV244 boat and for the price you can hardly go wrong...but tie the lanyard to a big fender and lay it on your sundeck no matter which suck gate you get. Will keep lanyard from breaking and keep your boat from getting gelcoat bumped.
They all basically do the same thing, get whichever one you think will work best for your situation. Make sure you test it in different positions cause it can make a big difference. Forward vs back....Just below water level, level with water and just over the water. One of the best waves I have seen was when it was about an inch above the water level, I had probably 30ft surfable wave. I also have 5000lbs of ballast and 11 people on board that day, lol. I dont usually have a big crew, so getting ready to invest in some lead ballast.
Old     (tripsw)      Join Date: May 2006       05-17-2017, 7:49 PM Reply   
www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1958962
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2017, 5:37 AM Reply   
I've been eyeing these for my 24ssv. I think I'm going to pick up the https://nauticurl.com/

James P you still like yours???
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       05-24-2017, 6:07 AM Reply   
^^very nice little device.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-24-2017, 7:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonblarc7 View Post
I've been eyeing these for my 24ssv. I think I'm going to pick up the https://nauticurl.com/

James P you still like yours???
yes we do.. it was nice to do away with an extra 400lb sac we were using.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2017, 8:48 AM Reply   
Anybody know if there is a new code to get the 20$ off. The old one was WORLD20 but it doesn't work any more.
Old     (Lemonade)      Join Date: May 2015       05-24-2017, 9:02 AM Reply   
Make your own. Super easy and cheap compared to retail ones.
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       05-24-2017, 9:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonade View Post
Make your own. Super easy and cheap compared to retail ones.

Nauti is $200. Pretty cheap, very elegant. A lot nicer than the one I made and it's made "backward" so the blade can easily be put at the back and it's angled, with a good strong lanyard.

I say let the boys at Nauticurl do the work for you!
Old     (dakota4ce)      Join Date: Oct 2015       05-24-2017, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Anybody know if there is a new code to get the 20$ off. The old one was WORLD20 but it doesn't work any more.

Call em and ask, bet they would share.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-24-2017, 9:56 AM Reply   
Nauticurl is my vote. Well made product and company seems very good. When it arrived is was packaged well, had instructions and stickers etc, very professional. They made a design change around the time I bought mine from carbon steel springs to stainless and a month or so after I bought mine a package arrived with new stainless springs. I didn't have to ask for them.

Check out teamtalk. There's a big thread on there about the nauticurl, lots of love.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       05-24-2017, 9:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripsw View Post
Great post with really good info. Much appreciated.

Last edited by cbarguy1; 05-24-2017 at 10:01 AM.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2017, 10:22 AM Reply   
I sent them an email and PM'd Andy Nintzel on here. He is listed as their VP of sales.

We shall see!!!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-24-2017, 10:32 AM Reply   
Nauticurl. Well priced and it really works!
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-24-2017, 10:49 AM Reply   
If your get a new code for the $20 off then let me know. I'd buy one.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-24-2017, 12:24 PM Reply   
Sent you a PM

RPM_DLX
Old     (RPM_DLX)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-24-2017, 2:37 PM Reply   
I just ordered the nauticurl. I was going to make another one out of some abs plastic I have but being a mechanical engineer I can appreciate the nauticurl
Old     (infinitysurf)      Join Date: Apr 2017       05-24-2017, 8:13 PM Reply   
Tie the lanyard to a large fender rather than to boat....lay fender on swim deck. That way if it comes off, the lanyard does not risk breaking and suck gate cannot bang around and mess up the gel coat. Works great for me, I also have the Nauticurl
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-25-2017, 4:04 AM Reply   
I was told NautiCurl is about two weeks out from having a floating version. And if you have one already they will offer you the stick on foam (I'm guessing) to aply to you current wake shaper for only 5 dollars. So I will be picking one up today. I'll put pictures up once I get it.
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       05-25-2017, 5:33 AM Reply   
i had one made by a guy on teamtalk. What i did is took some 550 paracord and tied the device to a boat cushion using the straps. I lay it on my back padded deck. if you see the cushion is missing the device fell off.
Old     (allzway)      Join Date: Feb 2014       05-25-2017, 8:47 AM Reply   
Quote:
I was told NautiCurl is about two weeks out from having a floating version. And if you have one already they will offer you the stick on foam (I'm guessing) to aply to you current wake shaper for only 5 dollars. So I will be picking one up today. I'll put pictures up once I get it.
Nice... That would be a good idea.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-25-2017, 9:46 AM Reply   
This is on my X30 with almost no ballast (about 200lbs). It only gets bigger when you add 3k lol. The NAUTICURL works as good or better than advertised and they don't gouge on the price.
Attached Images

Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       05-25-2017, 10:18 AM Reply   
Just placed my order!!!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-25-2017, 12:27 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 501s View Post
This is on my X30 with almost no ballast (about 200lbs). It only gets bigger when you add 3k lol. The NAUTICURL works as good or better than advertised and they don't gouge on the price.
AWESOME WAVE! Plus a great looking mini shredder!
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-25-2017, 12:38 PM Reply   
Thanks Andy. He is a Wakeboarder at heart. He rode when the water was 44. But he likes messing around surfing with his wakeboard sometimes too. Being able to throw on the Nauticurl with no ballast and he can immediately drop the rope and surf after wakeboarding is great.

With the NAUTICURL you will hear "I can't believe how big it is" often.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-26-2017, 6:51 AM Reply   
Hey Guys, by now most everyone knows that I am part of NautiCurl Wake Shaper. Both of my business partners in this crazy adventure are engineers by trade. When we set out to engineer NautiCurl Wake Shaper we had 3 goals in mind, create the best performing Wake Shaper, the best looking wake shaper, at the best price on the market. It's with great pride that I can say we achieved those goals. All the amazing feed back that we have been getting from satisfied customers on this forum and the many boat owners forums has really proven to us that we did this right. Our Wake Shaper is truly engineered to make your wake a wave.

As was requested I wanted to pass along a Wakewold Discount Code. Use the promo code WAKEWORLD20 at check out and you'll get $20 of our NautiCurl Wake Shaper. If you need any additional gear, Fat Sacs, Lead Wake, Surfboards (Brigade, iDol, Doomswell) and spend over $400 use promo code SLAMMIT and you'll get $50 off your order.

Here's to making waves this summer, not wakes for surfing! And thanks to everyone for the awesome feedback on the performance of NautiCurl Wake Shaper.

Promo Codes:
WAKEWORLD20 - $20 off a NautiCurl Wake Shaper
SLAMMIT - $50 off orders over $400
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       06-02-2017, 10:56 AM Reply   
No pic's yet I'll get them next trip out. We had to many babies on the boat last night so I was just lucky to get a wakeboarding set in. But I did at least stick the Nauticurl on the side of the boat after my set to see what it looked like.

And It looked great. It was a taller and much longer looking pocket.

I got to say it is rock solid to the side of the boat.
Old     (cbarguy1)      Join Date: Dec 2012       06-02-2017, 1:35 PM Reply   
Just got a chance to try mine for the first time Memorial weekend. I wasn't smart enought to take pictures but here's my report:

Boat - 2008 xstar, known as a notoriously bad surf boat. The truth is the wave is tall and short but it has a lot of push. Good for cuts and unending free surf but not so good for spins.

First try - 1000 factory balast + 1500 bags + 300 steel + 2 people, evenly weighted with a 750 bag in the right rear locker and 750 bag on the left in front of the spotter seat. This was my first time surfing my boat evenly weighted. I really like it. It handles much better and isn't as inclined to take water over the front. Speed was 10.5 which took a lot more RPM than before due to the extra drag. The wave was really clean but not as tall as I was used to. It was a bit longer but not not by a big margin, maybe 20-30%. When I surfed it there was less push and I wasn't able to do my ususaly cuts without losing the wave. I could free surf it but that was about it.

Second try - same as above but I added about 300 lbs to the bag in the left locker giving it a slight list to the left. BINGO! Now the wave was as described above but much taller. The old push was back plus some. It was still clean and longer but still not as long as the new surf boats (no surprise). I could do all my old stuff plus I feel like I can try some spins now. The boat still handled and drove really well for being loaded.

The Nauticurl stayed stuck the whole time and when I released the cups it was still stuck on so hard I had to slide it off the hull. Then I loaned it to my friend with a 2010 LSV 23 (no surf gate) and he said it didn't work as well for him. He said he didn't try making any adjustments and may not have been weighted properly so it was hard to form an opinion.

Based on my experience with my boat I give it 5 stars. Good product, works really well and good price. It does require making adjustments to dial it in but that's expected. I prefer wakeboarding to surfing but with this I'm looking forward to going again. I really hated listing my boat and now I don't have to anymore.

Last edited by cbarguy1; 06-02-2017 at 1:38 PM.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-03-2017, 6:56 AM Reply   
A friend of mine just started making these
https://www.facebook.com/shapethewake/
We tried it out this past weekend and it really works great. Not sure what he's charging yet, but it's worth a look. Mine floats out of the box but we tether it to a cleat, just in case! I'll try and post pics ifI can get them off my friend's phone!
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       06-03-2017, 9:51 AM Reply   
He just got back to me. His website is still being built, but he's selling for $95 shipped. If interested e-mail at info@shapethewake.com. Not as pretty as some of those out there, but it works great!