Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-13-2006, 5:33 PM Reply   
I've been riding in Hyperlite Split boots and have had a good experience with them except they are pretty hard to get in and out of. Being in my 50's and having bad cartilege everywhere I hate to waste my energy fighting with the boots. I've only come out of them a few times when crashing and they seem responsive enough. Also, my feet don't hurt once in them. So all I'm really looking for is the ease of entry and exit thing. I looked at CWB Zeus with the hinge-tech dodad and it is super easy to get in and out of, but the boot seems to be in two sections, foot and ankle, so that the ankle support in the flexion and extension directions is virtually non-existent. It seems like that could really affect my stability on the water. Has anybody had any experience with the hinge-tech system or problems with loose ankle support? Any other easy in and out bindings that don't involve the Boa system which seems to break alot and need fiddling or repair kits laying about everywhere just in case?
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-13-2006, 5:47 PM Reply   
I have always thought the new (and old) O'Brien bindings have been HUGE leaders in ankle support, way ahead of competition. However - you might have troubles getting in and out of them, they are pretty tight.

Still... if you are OK with using soap, go ahead and try them on at a local shop. You will be VERY impressed with the support, in particular the Argons and Xenons.
Old     (wakeman21)      Join Date: Jul 2005       06-13-2006, 7:11 PM Reply   
the new shanes and watsons are extremly easy to get in and have great support IMO
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-13-2006, 7:59 PM Reply   
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/1/334599.html?1150205556

:-)

something about that scares me away.
Old     (steve2u)      Join Date: May 2006       06-13-2006, 10:39 PM Reply   
I just picked up a pair of Zeus'. I tried on a lot of bindings and these were the only ones that fit "almost" everywhere...I need a little stretching over the top of my foot, but that shouldn't be a problem once they're broken in a little. I was a little hesitant about the Zeus' looking like two sections also, but it seems to work just fine. The only other bindings that were a close fit for me were O'Brien's (I think they were the Argon's - they had a rear lace), but I just didn't feel like the lower part of my ankle and heel was secure enough. I didn't feel any pressure points with the O'Brien's like I did with a lot of the LF and HL and they weren't too tough for me to get into compared to other bindings out there. I wish they would've fit better since the combo deal with the O'Brien Player was tough to beat. I think I just have an odd foot or something???

Aden, how you liking the Natural? Would like to try it, but I can't find a demo.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-13-2006, 10:41 PM Reply   
Absolutely loving it!!
Just when I thought the Player was the best board possible, they came out with the Natural and blew my mind away. Huge props to OB :-)
Old     (steve2u)      Join Date: May 2006       06-13-2006, 10:56 PM Reply   
I'm almost thinking of picking one up (the Natural) if my local dealer still has it in stock. I'm a little nervous without demoing, but I'm sure I could unload it for very little loss if I didn't like it for some crazy reason. Sound like it's a great all-around board. Was it that much different from the player? Sorry Les - didn't mean to hijack your thread...I'm sure you'll get more input later in the day.
Old     (aden_g)      Join Date: Mar 2006       06-13-2006, 11:19 PM Reply   
I have rode the player since the it came out 3 years ago, and I regularly try to do at least one set in every board I can (usually every hyperlite, most obriens, a couple LFs) per year. I got so used to the Player that I HATED every other board, I just coudln't get used to it. There was one thing about every board that the Player had and it didnt. Finally my rep sent me a Natural and said "Here. Ride it." so I took it to Florida and didn't bring out my backup Player once. It is the ONE board I have rode in the past 3 years that I have actully liked, and not only did I like it, I loved it.

Here is what my rep said when I asked him what the difference between the Natural and Player is, and I agree with it...
The Natural has slightly less rocker than the Player, but with a faster bottom (due to the chevrons on the tip and tail) the board will have offer more of a transfer across the wake with similar pop. The molded in fins are more defined and don’t transfer along the board as long as the Player. You will notice a more forgiving feel with less drag on the boards. The Natural also has the double v bottom which will help in breaking the water for a softer landing; it also allows for water to transfer back and forth while riding the board allowing for more consistent edging against the molded in fins.

Also sorry for the hijacked thread.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2006, 8:47 AM Reply   
Les they have had a full season on the Zeuses in Australia and have had no issues with the Zeus or the hinge systems for that matter.I would check out the CWB Fuse its very easy to get in and out of without the hinge system and has great support, top notch. I would also check out the 07 CWB Faction we got ours in yesterday and I have to say the Factions are really sweet great suppot with cumfort that is unheard of and it has the hinge system as well.
Old     (ldebbold)      Join Date: Jun 2006       06-14-2006, 9:41 AM Reply   
Thanks Jeff, yeah we did get a little off the topic, but I'm cool with learning about the boards as well. I was hopeful that someone who has ridden on the bindings could address the issue of the lose ankle to foot connection? I may just have to demo a pair. I saw a photo of the new Factions and they look sweet. The Zeus bindings look a bit flashy for an old guy like me.
Old     (innov8)      Join Date: May 2005       06-14-2006, 9:54 AM Reply   
Ya I have been riding in mine for months and have not had a single issue with the Zeus. IMO they are the best of all worlds in bindings they are really cumfy they have zero heel lift, they have great ankle support, and of course they are really easy to get in and out of and CWB has one of the best warrenty programs as well. One of the other great functions of the hinge system is that you can adjust the hinge to how tight you want the binding to lock in your heel. I would demo a pair for shure because everyones foot is different. Hope this helps, best of luck to you.
Old     (sp0tts)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2006, 10:33 AM Reply   
The Zues' have good ankle support and stability, the hinge is nice and I wouldn't be concerned with it. However, I personally think the new Hyperlite 3DS' are just as easy to get into, more comfortable, and have better ankle support.