Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through June 18, 2006

Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-05-2006, 7:47 PM Reply   
had surgery Nov 15th, i started wakeboarding early may, been slowely building the muscle and building confidence.

well saturday i did some huge airs, and did some working out. my knee has felt ok, but my whole leg from quad down just feels weak, achy, doesnt hurt but is just weird.

did i overdue it?
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-05-2006, 7:49 PM Reply   
I have had 2 ACL's on the same knee, DON'T PUSH IT. You will regret it.
Old     (mo_scrilla)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-05-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
Having said that, I am sure I am alot older than you and not in as good shape. So do what you want, but you don't want to do it all over again. Rehab sucks.
Old     (scheersound)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-05-2006, 7:52 PM Reply   
listen to your leg if it doesnt feel right take it easy you dont want to reinjur your self. I just got back on the water yesterday after breaking my leg in three spots last january. it felt pretty good but i didn't do any jumps. good luck with your recovery.
Old     (wakeparent)      Join Date: Jan 2005       06-05-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
My son had he's ACL replaced on sept 11th and miniscus repaired was riding on Jan 1st, running
in gym class blew it out again in feb. still riding and working out (wearing brace) while riding. Dont push yourself to hard. build up those leg muscles, so you don't do the samething.
Good Luck.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-05-2006, 7:58 PM Reply   
Phil - did you rehab? brace? I'm at almost 4 months post-op and I feel like I could go rip with no brace right now, but I'm not gonna. I wake surfed this weekend without a brace, and just pumped and pumped forever and my leg never got tired. I think this is because I've been gittin' er done at therapy.
Old     (ak4life)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-05-2006, 9:19 PM Reply   
so what exercises do they recommend you do for rehab and strengthening the muscles around the knee? just curious..

also, in retrospect, do you feel that if you had done them exercises all along you might not have gotten hurt? will you do anything differently now that you've had the experience?
Old    jesiday            06-06-2006, 7:53 AM Reply   
Phil,

I don't want to come out and say "Push it", but you should really listen to your body. You don't want to really favor your knee, but going out and trying a new trick probably isn't the best idea either. If you have got wakejumping down (ie, landing on the downslope ALL the time), you should be fine to do that. But it is a risk you have to calculate.

After I blew mine, I did a LOT of wakesurfing. It was my lead knee, and the wakesurfing was very low impact. However, it kept my quad from completely disentigrating. I, personally, believe that it also helped build up some stability muscles that I usually didn't use. I still strapped on a wakeboard, but I was only ollie-ing and carving. Then again, I am NOT consistent one W2W's and wasn't prior to surgery.

In short, you should decide 'where' your physical limits are, and push to there. That way, you should maintain your muscle condition.

Good luck,
jes
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-06-2006, 7:35 PM Reply   
i've pretty much been just doing heal and toeside w2w's.

i tore my acl last sept by doing a huge healside grab 180 into the flats, came down off axis and landed on my lead leg (right at time) and the knee just popped inward and i tore the meniscus and acl.

i got the hamstring graft which the dr said at 6 months i should be able to to EVERYTHING i was doing WITHOUT a brace, i asked him many times if i should wear a brace and he refused that i wear one. i guess something to do w/ the hamstring takes longer to heal but when it is healed its stronger than the original.

i did do rehab, a month ago dr said my knee was 100% and quad was 80% and i could start riding behind the boat but no advanced tricks. just last week i started going back to W2W.

for the most part i feel its just my quad giving up on me and putting pressure on my knee. while im riding the quad seems to be firing (dr said takes up to a year for quad muscles to consistanly fire)

i shoulda rode more on the bike and do a bit more quad workouts during rehab time, because my knee gets stiff alot.
Old     (thane_dogg)      Join Date: Jun 2002       06-06-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
dang Phil. I had the cadaver and my therapist said that my quad is at 85%, but it's only been just less than 4 months, so I know that the cadaver tendon hasn't morphed (<- haha I said morphed) in to a ligament yet, and fused to the bone. I've been doing jumping and running exercises in therapy.
Old     (tyler_o)      Join Date: Nov 2004       06-09-2006, 10:05 AM Reply   
Phil,

I know exactly where your at. I'm 35 and had an ACL alograft (Patella Tendon) Oct 25th, 2005 after blowing it out on a heelside W2W 180. I've been riding since Feb. but am just now going W2W again and I'm overly cautious. The last thing I want is to have to go through surgery and rehab again! So for now I'm taking it easy. I feel my knee is about 85% so I'm going to continue to take it easy and wait till both legs are stronger than pre-injury. I always ride with my Ortho brace on.

As a side note may I suggest getting a Roam. Lots of fun doing presses/boardslides/surface tricks with less concern for re-injury.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-09-2006, 10:36 PM Reply   
I guess I'm odd (or stupid). I had acl, patella graft, surgery on sep. 15 2005. I started riding basically april 1st and after one set was going w2w my first ride out. Knee felt great like new. Since may I've been going full bore and almost have my hs3 back. I think a lot of it is how the injury affected you mentally. Some people have a mental block afterwards because it was really painful and/or are scared of hurting it again. I don't even think about my knee anymore only difference now is I wear a brace when I ride.
Old     (chopper515)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-10-2006, 8:44 AM Reply   
I had a cadaver graft in late July 05 and I started riding again this April only to re-tear it. I'm holding off till the end of Summer for surgery. Meanwhile, I took up wakesurfing which is incredible and it doesn't really bother my knee.
Old     (mmobius2001)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-14-2006, 10:15 PM Reply   
yeah i cant afford to blow it out again, physically or financially.

i think my knee is great, just my quad still isnt all there.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       06-14-2006, 11:27 PM Reply   
Phil, I had the hamstring graft 5 weeks ago tomorrow. I should be back in full force with 100% muscles at 6 months, then I'll be back to normal (but I'm still going to use a brace, I dont care what they say), right now I'm not alloud to do much. I would highly suggest hitting the gym, squats, balance excercises, all that stuff to beef up those muscles. Wakeboarding alone wont develop the right mucsles enough.