Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakehero21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-24-2014, 6:29 PM Reply   
hey guys first time poster here, but have been lurking around for awhile. I have a question about which board I should go with and I couldn't find what I was looking for.
I'm currently riding a 14' hyperlite b-side and I like how it rides but I'm looking for something different. I just started learning how to wakeboard this season and am working on going w2w. I'm pretty much thinking about going with a 15' murray but not sure how it'll ride compared to a b-side. the murray has had the same shape for awhile now, but I haven't had a chance to try one out. I was also kinda thinking about going with a 15' marek. Or what other boards would you guys recommend, I'm partial to hyperlite tho.
Thanks in advance!
Old     (wakehero21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-25-2014, 7:09 AM Reply   
Anybody?
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-25-2014, 7:20 AM Reply   
What would like to be "different" than what your current b-side is? In other words, what do you like and not like about it?
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-25-2014, 7:22 AM Reply   
Have you searched on here yet? Just by looking at the Murray and the Marek's description on evo, it looks like the Murray will ride more like the B-side than the Marek. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either. The Marek is famous for being fast and offering great pop. I have never ridden any of the boards you mentioned though.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       09-25-2014, 7:35 AM Reply   
If it's just up between Murray/Marek and you're learning to go w2w, I'm going to recommend Murray every time. Per above, it's going to ride more like the BSide than the Marek. Murray is a calmer, more intermediate board that will still pop well. IMO Marek is too much board for someone just starting out, thing is very quick and super responsive edge to edge which is sometimes a lot handle for beginners.

Of course, give it enough time and everybody will chip in with their 2 (or 10) cents on why another board is going to suit you the best. I'm going to beat everyone else to it and tell you that if you've got a dealer nearby, go out and demo as many as you can. That's the best way to get a feel for what you do and don't like, and you can start to choose boards more based on experience.

Last edited by Jmaxymek; 09-25-2014 at 7:39 AM.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-25-2014, 8:09 AM Reply   
I only have one tip. Faster boards are better than slower boards for beginners. The additional drag helps some strong riders convert the load energy straight up, but it really messes up beginners. A slower board can't have any hesitation on the approach where a faster board will still cruise even if you come off the gas a little on your way in.

Stick to words like: mellow 3stage, continuous, blended, etc. Stay away from aggressive 3stage, Steep rocker, accelerated continuous, etc.
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       09-25-2014, 9:13 AM Reply   
Unless you are looking for closeout 2014 boards, go with the new Baseline shape being introduced for 2015. I was able to give this board a try earlier this week and must say its a great all around board designed by Murrary and Nelson intended for beginner to advanced riders.

Its an Abrupt Continuous rocker similar to the Marek but has an outline shape and bottom features more in line with the Murrary. Has a wide profile giving the board more surface area for pop and landings but rolls on edge very easy and is fun to carve around.

If you are trying to find closeout deals on 2014 boards then I'd agree with the others and look towards the Murrary.
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-25-2014, 9:25 AM Reply   
I agree with steven^^. Go for the baseline. I'm interested in trying that shape myself and may go with it for next year. I have rode both the Marek and Murray. If you are set on those 2 go with the Murray. Both are really good but the Murray is a lot more user friendly.
Old     (wakehero21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-25-2014, 11:12 AM Reply   
Thanks guys, I guess the thing I don't like about the bside is it seems fast. Could just be me tho. A buddy rode mine and he said that it seemed like he didn't have time to go for a grab (can just go w2w) and he was getting more air on mine than the board he rides. About the same as another friend that can do back rolls and tantrums and all those. I'll be able to demo them once he gets them in but I was hoping to get a jump on it and order now so I get it when they become available. I've always been interested in the big air, landing out in the flats riding but I'm sure either can do that (talking about the murray and marek). And yeah I'm looking to get a 15'. My local board shop has a 13' (I believ) murray that I can demo but just can't find anybody with boats down that part of the river (it's autographed and only wants me to have it out for like an hour)
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-25-2014, 2:47 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakehero21 View Post
Thanks guys, I guess the thing I don't like about the bside is it seems fast. Could just be me tho. A buddy rode mine and he said that it seemed like he didn't have time to go for a grab (can just go w2w) and he was getting more air on mine than the board he rides. About the same as another friend that can do back rolls and tantrums and all those. I'll be able to demo them once he gets them in but I was hoping to get a jump on it and order now so I get it when they become available. I've always been interested in the big air, landing out in the flats riding but I'm sure either can do that (talking about the murray and marek). And yeah I'm looking to get a 15'. My local board shop has a 13' (I believ) murray that I can demo but just can't find anybody with boats down that part of the river (it's autographed and only wants me to have it out for like an hour)
The getting big air and landing in the flats will come as you get more time on the boat. Dont be stuck on Hyperlite though. There are other boards that may fit your style better. I started boarding a couple of years ago and my philosophy was try every different board you can. Hop on all your friends board, chick boards, everything you can fit your foot in. You will definitely start to learn what you are looking for in a board. For me, I went from a ronix vault, lf watson classic, harley, watson hybrid, SS Lyman, SS Choice. Soft landings is what I look for in a board. Find what you are looking for in a board and don't let the brand loyalty dictate your purchase.
Old     (wakehero21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-25-2014, 3:11 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezul View Post
The getting big air and landing in the flats will come as you get more time on the boat. Dont be stuck on Hyperlite though. There are other boards that may fit your style better. I started boarding a couple of years ago and my philosophy was try every different board you can. Hop on all your friends board, chick boards, everything you can fit your foot in. You will definitely start to learn what you are looking for in a board. For me, I went from a ronix vault, lf watson classic, harley, watson hybrid, SS Lyman, SS Choice. Soft landings is what I look for in a board. Find what you are looking for in a board and don't let the brand loyalty dictate your purchase.
I know getting big air and landing in flats with time, I was just saying how that has always interested me and asking that any board I go with will allow me to do that once I get to that point?
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       09-25-2014, 3:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Realize too that the '13 Murray is exactly the same as the '15, just different graphics. If you are just learning w2w still, the board is not going to change things for you a lot. All boards can be rode w2w or blasted into the flats. Some boards are more forgiving than others but as other people said, it all comes down to preferences. Also, your preferences are likely to change as your skill develops and you start to get a feel for how you like to ride. Try your b-side with fins and without. It's a very good board and is not considered fast. If you think it seems too fast, the Murray and Marek are both faster than the b-side.
Old     (wakehero21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-25-2014, 3:37 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRS_mi View Post
Realize too that the '13 Murray is exactly the same as the '15, just different graphics. If you are just learning w2w still, the board is not going to change things for you a lot. All boards can be rode w2w or blasted into the flats. Some boards are more forgiving than others but as other people said, it all comes down to preferences. Also, your preferences are likely to change as your skill develops and you start to get a feel for how you like to ride. Try your b-side with fins and without. It's a very good board and is not considered fast. If you think it seems too fast, the Murray and Marek are both faster than the b-side.
yeah that's what my local boardshop guy said, I just can't find anybody to pull me on the board shops end of the river. like i said he'll only let me have it for like an hour since it is autographed by shaun and hasn't touched the water yet. I'll know if I like after like 15mins of being on it tho so that's not the problem lol. I don't really know if its fast or not, it just seems like it might be going off of what my buddy said after he rode it. But, he also hadn't gotten as much air as he did on my board. The only fins I can take out of my board are the center fins. the other 4 are molded fins, but I'll try it without the center fins to see how I like how it rides
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       09-25-2014, 4:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
yeah that's what my local boardshop guy said, I just can't find anybody to pull me on the board shops end of the river. like i said he'll only let me have it for like an hour since it is autographed by shaun and hasn't touched the water yet. I'll know if I like after like 15mins of being on it tho so that's not the problem lol. I don't really know if its fast or not, it just seems like it might be going off of what my buddy said after he rode it. But, he also hadn't gotten as much air as he did on my board. The only fins I can take out of my board are the center fins. the other 4 are molded fins, but I'll try it without the center fins to see how I like how it rides
You definitely need to pull that damn center fin. I wished they made the boards without them. I know they are great for beginners but I think they really impede your development. You might should ride the b-side for another season....or at least the first half of next season.
Old     (wakehero21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-25-2014, 4:23 PM Reply   
alright i'll pull the center fins and give it a shot this weekend to see how I like how it rides. And if I'm going to get a new board I would like to find out asap because I'm going to be selling this one to a buddy, so that's why I'm looking to get a new board as well. I feel like I will like the murray, but I just don't know for sure. I don't want to buy a board without demo-ing it and finding out that I don't like it and would prefer my b-side (I did buy this without a demo ride tho. first board, first season boarding)
Old     (99Bison)      Join Date: Sep 2012       09-25-2014, 6:50 PM Reply   
I have a 13 bside, ride a 13 one atr and a 10 trip as well. Ride all center finless (way better on all of them this way, for the one also using the smaller utility fins in the sides). IMO, the bside is the loosest of the 3, lands softer than the one, and is much heavier than both the other two. The heaviness would be my only real complaint about it. I've gotten used to the one, but kind of like the trip still actually.
Old     (old_fat_guy)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-26-2014, 6:54 AM Reply   
Don't consider another board until you remove your center fins. After doing so it will ride like a different board and you'll have to learn to control it by carving more than just pointing and letting the fins steer it. Without the fins it is less stable but you will be able to rotate that board so much easier. My vote is remove the fins and ride another season on the B-side.
Old     (wakehero21)      Join Date: Aug 2014       09-28-2014, 5:28 PM Reply   
Well guys finally got a chance to demo the murray that my local board shop has. It's a 2012 but he told me the shape is the same for the 2012 as the 2015. I liked it but the time I was on it, wasn't enough time to get a real good feel for it. I got a decent feel for it but was hitting the wake kinda sloppy. It also doesn't have center fins and I'm used to my bside with the center fins. Next time I ride tho I'm riding mine without the center fins to hopefully get a better feel for a board without center fins