Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (gadgetwiz)      Join Date: Feb 2016       09-17-2018, 4:00 PM Reply   
Hi guys

I was reading another thread on the Murray and the Ronix One. I've been riding a big three stage rocker for years (147 Era, Phoenix Project, 142 15' Ronix One, and now a 146 17' Timebomb. I love the Timebomb, but I've been considering a Continuous Rocker.

I'm an intermediate rider, 180 toe sides, heel sides with about 6' of air (on a good day), and a descent repertoire of surface tricks. I am 50 years old and 295 lbs, so I was curious if a Continuous rocker would make my rides less tiring without sacrificing the pop I need to get my fat a** over the wake. And if so, what would be a good board.
Old     (stevev210)      Join Date: Feb 2005       09-17-2018, 4:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetwiz View Post
Hi guys

I was reading another thread on the Murray and the Ronix One. I've been riding a big three stage rocker for years (147 Era, Phoenix Project, 142 15' Ronix One, and now a 146 17' Timebomb. I love the Timebomb, but I've been considering a Continuous Rocker.

I'm an intermediate rider, 180 toe sides, heel sides with about 6' of air (on a good day), and a descent repertoire of surface tricks. I am 50 years old and 295 lbs, so I was curious if a Continuous rocker would make my rides less tiring without sacrificing the pop I need to get my fat a** over the wake. And if so, what would be a good board.
The Murray board is has a subtle 3 stage rocker....best of both worlds. The 150 would be a good choice for you.
Old     (Bagar55)      Join Date: Aug 2013 Location: Mineral, Va       09-17-2018, 6:03 PM Reply   
I ride a new style 146 timebomb One and a Watson hybrid. They differ quite a bit when it comes to just gliding across the water. The One really drags in the water and wears me out much faster than the Watson. The most noticeable difference is after edging out hard and coasting before starting to edge back into the wake. The Watson glides so much faster and then is much more effortless and faster building your edge back into the wake. I love the One. I’m much more consistent on it. It’s a great board with tons of pop but after a set or two I switch to the Watson and can ride much longer. I can never decide which I prefer the most but when I’m tired I always ride the Watson. When my timing is right I really love the feel of th Hybrid snap off he wake.
With that being said I just ordered a 150 Murray today. I’m really hoping it’s a good trade off and has that glide of the Watson Hybrid and consistency of the One. Thinking about trying to sell a few boards a pick up a couple year old Watson dose next season also.
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       09-17-2018, 7:43 PM Reply   
You might want to take a look at the new Ronix RXT. Looks like it’s a continuous version of the Timebomb...
Old     (gadgetwiz)      Join Date: Feb 2016       09-17-2018, 7:44 PM Reply   
"The One really drags in the water and wears me out much faster than the Watson"

That is crazy. When I went from my old 142 Ronix One to my 147 Timebomb, I felt almost no drag at all.

That said, I'm going to roll the dice and get a Murray. Sadly the only 150 I could find came with Focus bindings, so I had to order the kit, then order the Murray bindings from another site. I discovered last season that 300 lbs, cheaper bindings, and a nearby boat full of women can wreak havoc on ankles, so good bindings are essential. AKA Extra boots are cheaper than X-Rays. I will throw the focus bindings on my old 142 Ronix One or sell them I guess.

They should be here in time for this weekend. I will let you all know what I find out.

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Last edited by gadgetwiz; 09-17-2018 at 7:47 PM. Reason: Thanks for the feedsback
Old     (gadgetwiz)      Join Date: Feb 2016       09-17-2018, 7:53 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejean View Post
You might want to take a look at the new Ronix RXT. Looks like it’s a continuous version of the Timebomb...
I will keep an eye out for that next season.

Honestly, I am really interested in trying the 150 Murray because of my size. I went to a 142 from a 147 years ago because of the board weight, but Shaun makes a good point when he says board weight isn't as important as it once was.
Old     (thejean)      Join Date: Aug 2018       09-17-2018, 11:24 PM Reply   
The Murray rocker line:

Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-18-2018, 6:27 AM Reply   
Obviously, this all really depends on personal preference. Personally I find continuous rocker boards a lot easier to use. I like a really fast board because it takes a lot less effort to carve in and clear the wake. While edging in I can just focus on form, getting a good load and waiting until the top of the wake to pop. Because of this, my pop is actually a lot better with a continuous rocker. I find with a slower board (typically 3 stage boards) there's just too much drag and I have to work harder to get a clean pop/trick. I also like a loose feeling board, I hate feeling locked in.
Some people find 3 stage easier because it throws their pop vertically and ends up being more effortless to get a good air path, but for me a fast continuous board takes less energy and has more predictable controlled pop.
In the end though, I'm pretty sure you can adapt to whatever board you get.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-18-2018, 7:36 AM Reply   
I ride the O'Brien Rome. I rode agressive 3-stage for years....like 15 years. I really love the 3-stage pop, but the boards are typically slow, land hard, and have more of bucking front foot pop. The Rome has a 5 stage rocker line, I am super into the rocker line, pops like a 3 stage but rides like a continuous rocker, fast and easy from edge to edge ,with great landings. After riding a wakeboard for 25 years, I am all about soft landings.
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       09-18-2018, 7:50 AM Reply   
Another thing I forgot to add: amount of rocker also plays into speed. A board can be continuous but have a lot of rocker (amount of rise from mid board to tip/tail) like an "abrupt continuous" rocker which would slow it down a little. A flatter board will glide easier, push less water and will be faster. So personally I like a board without too much rocker because it adds to the speed. Obviously you wouldn't want something too flat like a kiteboard, it still needs some rocker to navigate up the wake and get a good load, but fast is good for me so I prefer boards without too much rocker.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-18-2018, 10:02 AM Reply   
I loved three stage boards. LOVED THEM. until all the wakes got super sized.

Now I find that if i can fight the urge to pop off my back foot, a continuous board is an easier ride all around.
Old     (gadgetwiz)      Join Date: Feb 2016       09-19-2018, 8:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
I ride the O'Brien Rome ... The Rome has a 5 stage rocker line...
Wow. I would have never considered an O'Brien wakeboard. I used to ride Hyperlite until Ronix came along and then stuck with Ronix mostly because I liked the ride of the Phoenix Project. I have often used Liquid Force Bindings (used to love the Watsons), but have avoided the boards. I think of Liquid Force and Ronix as quality products, but have always considered O'Brien/Slingshot boards as Pontoon boards.

I hate to hijack my own thread, but are O'Brien and Slingshot valid boat choices now? I've been doing some research, and they seem like they have come a long way.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-19-2018, 8:34 AM Reply   
I’d push you into a humanoid but I ditched all traditional boards after a ronix one way back in 2011, I have been riding slingshot, CTRl, is humanoid religiously since then.

Slingshot boards and bindings are quality as well, and I enjoy the way they ride both on boat and cable.
Old     (Kurzinator)      Join Date: Aug 2017       09-19-2018, 11:48 AM Reply   
I have always loved abrupt three stage rocker boards, but I can't tell much of a difference between a Continuous Rocker and a "Subtle" three stage.
Abrupt VS Continuous definitely has a different feel.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       09-24-2018, 7:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetwiz View Post
Wow. I would have never considered an O'Brien wakeboard. I used to ride Hyperlite until Ronix came along and then stuck with Ronix mostly because I liked the ride of the Phoenix Project. I have often used Liquid Force Bindings (used to love the Watsons), but have avoided the boards. I think of Liquid Force and Ronix as quality products, but have always considered O'Brien/Slingshot boards as Pontoon boards.

I hate to hijack my own thread, but are O'Brien and Slingshot valid boat choices now? I've been doing some research, and they seem like they have come a long way.
Yes, at least from the O'Brien perspective, I can't speak for Slingshot, never ridden one. I have been on O'Brien for 20 year and their boat boards are absolutely awesome. Just look at the current team of boat riders, Shota, Cory Teunissen, David O'Caoimh, Jeff Langley, etc.