Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Javi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       11-30-2020, 8:58 AM Reply   
I am looking at these four boards. No where to demo, thus hoping to get feedback from those that have ridden them. These will be used behind the boat. Any feedback. Also, at 165lbs 5'10". What size would you recommend for any of these boards. I have ridden 138cm boards for the last 10 years and am looking to possibly go up a bit. No sure if it will make me uncomfortable since I am so used to the 138cm size. Would really like a softer landing board.
Old     (e_rock32)      Join Date: Oct 2009       12-28-2020, 7:04 PM Reply   
I’ve went up in size of the boards I ride and it’s an easy transition. I always rode 138-140 and now I’m using a 143. The faster the board rides on top of the water the softer the landing will be. I thought continuous rockers were the softest, but I really think it has more to do with the amount of rocker - less is faster. The softest landing board I’ve ever used is the Watson classic, it has a mellow rocker combined with a giant spine. I would think the rhyme or native would be my picks. Other factors that would sway my opinion is the type of boat/wake you ride behind and what previous boards have you liked.
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-06-2021, 4:54 AM Reply   
I currently have the Timba and I used to ride a Slingshot Response and Recoil (The Native is apparently a combination of the two). I really liked them!
I think the timba may be my favorite so far. It's really fast, (not much rocker) which is what I really like but I find it a little heavy. Not crazy heavy, I've ridden heavier. I'm not sure if it's heavy enough to make much of a difference but that is one complaint I have. I find all three of the boards I mentioned ride pretty similar - fast and loose. I think that style of board is pretty forgiving and easy to ride. The timba is stiffer than the two Slingshot boards. So it seems a little snappier/responsive off the wake. I'm not sure how stiff the Native is though.
I think the Rhyme is more of an aggressive three stage board if I'm not mistaken so it would probably ride a lot slower with more of an abrupt pop off the wake. That's fine for some, but I like a faster board with less resistance on the water - less effort to edge in so it feels like I almost have less tension coming into a trick.
I wouldn't be scared of sizing up but I wouldn't do it by much. Maybe just one size up. I find with a longer board it can mess with the timing of your tricks. I rode a 155 Nomad (usually on a 144 Timba) which took some getting used to. It felt like there was a slight delay off the wake when popping almost like it was more a catapult launch feeling as opposed to a quick snap. So more a delayed pop because there's more tail coming off the wake. Anyway, that's just my opinion.
Old     (Javi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-08-2021, 7:11 PM Reply   
I have been looking into the different boards and I'm leaning towards the native as my first option, then the rhyme second. I don't know why, but I really like boards with a lot of rocker. Kind of the opposite of what Andy likes. I have ridden many brands of boards and always ended riding CWB because their boards tend to have the most rocker. I still have the old CWB transcend in 138cm and I still really like it. I also kiteboard and for that you need a very low rocker board to maintain speed to stay upwind, so I know the difference and feel of different rockers. However, with a wake I really like a decent amount of rocker to kick off the wake and land on the other side. It might be that I ride a smaller wake and the rocker helps me when landing over the small wake where a good portion of the board is past the wake. I could add more ballasts to my boat but that's just calling out for an injury. I'm 40 and just looking to enjoy it for many more years. I'm happy being able to cruise and do raleys, 3s, tantrums, and backrolls which are easy for me to do on my smaller wake safely. I'm still undecided on the continuous rocker of the native. I'm more accustomed to riding subtle 3stage boards. I have tried a Watson classic with the grind base in a cable park. It had ronix ones bindings. I rented it on a trip and really liked it. Not sure what shape rocker that one uses.
Old     (Javi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-08-2021, 7:14 PM Reply   
I wonder if a longer board will be an issue when trying to land over a smaller wake... ?
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-10-2021, 2:40 AM Reply   
My little brother used to have a Watson, which I tried and it rode very different from the Slingshot boards I've had. It was a three stage and felt a lot slower but had that abrupt pop etc.
If you're used to 138 three stage boards and like them, why change? If possible take a ride on a friend's board that's anything similar to a Native to see if you like it but I wouldn't roll the dice on buying something different and hoping you'll like it. That's an expensive test. Unless you get a chance to ride something similar I'd just go with something you're more sure on. I've bought boards once or twice that I ended up hating and it sucks!
Old     (Javi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-10-2021, 11:31 AM Reply   
That's definitely a valid point. Its hard to find the Slingshot boards on deep discount, they're not cheap. Unfortunately I don't know anyone that rides one nor anywhere to demo one. The main reason I am considering going with a new board is to switch to a wood core that flexes a bit and can help with landings. From experience wakestyle kiteboarding, where you always land hard and on the flats, relatively "stiff" flex boards are the way to go. If they are too soft since you have little rocker and you can bend them too far on a hard landing and that's bad... hurts a lot your knees plus you can catch and then the board wants to rip from your bindings. Behind the boat, I'll be able to adapt quickly to a flex board. I do think I really should just stick to 3stage or subtle 3stage which is what I have always ridden and am so used to.
That brings me to deciding between the LF Rhyme, or the SS Solo. And I'll add the SS Pill to the mix since its also 3-stage and apparently a "stiff" flex board. Thats where I'm at now...
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-11-2021, 4:58 AM Reply   
I have a feeling the Rhyme is going to be the closest to what you want, BUT I haven't ridden it. The Solo is probably going to feel the most flexy and fast compared to the other two. I'm sure which ever way you go you'll adjust to the board and it'll work out for you. It's not like your diverging too far from what you're already comfortable with.
Old     (Javi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-11-2021, 5:42 AM Reply   
I'm thinking the same thing. Problem is that I really want to consider sizing up a bit but not too much, since supposedly size has great effect on softer landings. Next size up on the rhyme takes me to 144 x 44cm. Concerned that may feel too big (for boat). Not sure if I will be able to get used to that. The 139x43 is right on what I ride right now. The Pill and Solo I can size up to 142 from my current 138 and both are still just about 43cm wide. We'll see. Who knows, Oka weighs 160 lbs and rides the 144, but he is taller and rides huge wakes. I think this will come down to which one I can find the best deal on. I do like the graphics of the rhyme way more but I try to never let graphics dictate my board. That's what stickers are for... to cover ugly graphics
Old     (Andy_Mora)      Join Date: Oct 2012       01-11-2021, 8:06 AM Reply   
Ya I sympathize with your dilemma. I feel like I've been in similar situations every time I want to buy a new board. Either way I'm sure any of those will be fine, I'd try not to stress too much about it. I rode a 160 Nomad, and it felt a little longer but I didn't even really think about it. The flex and shape were more noticeable than the size. I think going to a 144 Rhyme wouldn't be too bad. Especially if you start your season on it, you won't even notice any sizing up changes. The board shape and stiffness etc. will be more noticeable than those few cms.
I'd just go with whichever one you find the best deal. THEN if you're still split, pick whichever one looks better haha.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       01-15-2021, 11:48 AM Reply   
I always say that if you are between sizes, go up.

Not to muddle things, but it would be worth it to throw the Supreme in the mix if you are looking at hybrid constructions.

I'm 5-10 @ 170-175lbs and I am currently riding the supreme 141. 140-143 has been the sweet spot for me in recent years I used to be more of a 137-140ish guy and have not changed weight.
Old     (Javi)      Join Date: Aug 2016       01-15-2021, 8:05 PM Reply   
Checked out the Supreme. Looks like a really nice board as well. I like the shape and I've always been a fan of the very square tips. Interesting construction. Seems they do wood veneers maybe in order to be able to fit the other type core in between? Thanks for the feedback. Still taking my time. Its snowing here anyway...