Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bret)      Join Date: Nov 2013 Location: Santa Rosa, CA       11-16-2016, 9:25 PM Reply   
Which of the above SUV's will be best to tow a 2009 V215 to Tahoe from the bay area. These are the only SUV's that my mom will consider. (they are the only ones that the back two rows fold flat)
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       11-17-2016, 5:29 AM Reply   
If I were going to own one of the three for the long haul it would be the Sequoia. The 5.4 in the older expys is super weaksauce, and I'm assuming you are not considering going to a 2015+ with the ecoboost motor. I have owned a 2006 infiniti QX56 (infiniti armada clone). The motor has plenty of power to pull a boat like a v215 over Donner. No problem there. It's just the day to day driving dynamics will eventually wear you out. Which gets you to the sequoia... it's going to cost the most, for good reason. Definitely the best finished of those three.

If it were me I'd definitely also consider that era's denali or escalade from a towing perspective.
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       11-17-2016, 6:13 AM Reply   
Sequoia. I own a 2010 and its been the best SUV we have owned. The Expy isn't going to get the gas mileage or have the same power. I tow my MC x2 with ours and it does so without problem. We have over 90k miles on ours and i haven't had any issues with it except the wiper on the back window. It will cost about 4k more than the expy but its worth it in the long run. Highly recommend.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-17-2016, 7:20 AM Reply   
We have 142k in our 2010 Armada and I will never tow with another gasser SUV. We will be looking at the new body style Armada in a couple years. I haven't had one unexpected issue with this vehicle and it tows like a champ. We towed our SAN210 well over 40 hours this past summer alone. No doubt the Toyota will be a great vehicle, I just can't get past the looks of the front end, but that's personal opinion.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       11-17-2016, 7:39 AM Reply   
I agree that if looking used the Armada and Sequioa have tons of power if you get the Sequioa with the 5.7L and the Armada with the 5.6L. They both suck on gas though so be prepared towing or not. They make the Toyota with the 4.6 also I believe and that will lack some power. If you can get an expedition with the 3.5L Ecoboost motor it will also be a beast, but I know all the older ones had the 5.4L and it will be weak in comparison to the others for sure.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-17-2016, 11:47 AM Reply   
Gen 1 Sequioas were underpowered with 4.7s. make sure you can get the bigger v8. they also don't like a lot tongue weight but you can do a lot to change that
Old     (blackstang)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-17-2016, 3:53 PM Reply   
I have a 07 Expedition EL and it tows fine. I work for a Ford dealer and see the 5.4's obviously all the time as they were in the 04-10 F-150's in this configuration as well and all the way up thru 14 in the Expedition . They are a great motor if they were maintained properly. They do not have the power of the newer Ecoboost motors but will pull fine. I have pulled my 21.5 Supra with the Expedition and almost every other model of truck or SUV out there as I run the used car section of the lot and drive a different demo every day.. Any of the above mentioned vehicles will do it, but I feel the longer wheel base of a Expedition EL or Suburban type vehicle is more beneficial.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       11-17-2016, 4:02 PM Reply   
The only thing that is good about the Ford is the wheel base. It lacks power and after using min
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       11-17-2016, 4:08 PM Reply   
Sorry. Didn't finish. My ford Expedition rear end went out after one year of use. I couldn't wait to sell it.

Suburban 2500 or Denali XL is the only SUV that I feel gets the job done well. No drop in back seat though. So I would go for the Toyota.
Old     (Bret)      Join Date: Nov 2013 Location: Santa Rosa, CA       11-17-2016, 7:38 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input so far. I need to add one thing my mom won't spend over 25k
Old     (onlyinboards)      Join Date: Oct 2014       11-18-2016, 7:27 AM Reply   
I've had both. I had a 2008 Armada, a 2010 Sequoia and a 2014 Armada. After the Sequoia i went back to the Armada. I think it tows the best of all the SUV's i've had. I like that it drives more like a truck than a car personally. When i upgrade again, the new style Armada will be at the top of the list. I will say i never had any issues with either of them though. I just didn't like the interior ergonomics of the Toyota.
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       11-18-2016, 8:27 AM Reply   
the new Titan has a diesel option. I doubt the Armada will ever have that option but that would be tough to beat

.edit.
oh S#it!! Armada IS getting a 5.0 diesel!!
http://upcomingcars2017.com/2017-nissan-armada-diesel/

not within OPs 25K limit but.... this guy may be Armada shopping soon.

Last edited by denverd1; 11-18-2016 at 8:35 AM.
Old     (jafo9)      Join Date: May 2012       11-18-2016, 9:57 AM Reply   
over the years, we had 4 different expeditions. i would always shop the ford vs. all the others and i would always end up back with the ford for various reasons. our last ford was a 2011 expedition limited. it came standard with the tow package which included anti-sway. i used it to pull our 25ft tri-toon and our X30. it did great with the X30 and i never felt it lacked power. the pontoon sits up high and has a lot of weight hanging off the back so the ford would start to sway right at about 70mph. i didn't really need to drive that fast so not really a big deal.

we did have one rear end go out on the 2nd one (not sure what year) but it was covered under warranty. other than that, we didn't have any issues. the truly flat rear cargo area was one of the biggest draws for us over the years. having an independent rear suspension makes it less truck like but it really gives a ton of space for the seats to fold flat vs. the "ramp" that most other suv's create when you try to fold the 2nd and 3rd row flat. other than towing the boats occasionally, our expeditions were glorified station wagons so we didn't need a solid rear axle. i tried to like the toyotas, but at the time you absolutely could not configure them the way we wanted and the seats didn't fold as flat.