Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Davewfo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       09-06-2016, 1:46 PM Reply   
Looks like the Supra website was just updated with all the new info.

https://www.supraboats.com/
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-07-2016, 6:17 AM Reply   
Wow... just in love with supra boats even thou i own a MC X2. Some day!!!!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-07-2016, 12:18 PM Reply   
Definitely worth a look if your in the market for a new one. Love mine
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-07-2016, 2:31 PM Reply   
Looks great. It really is amazing how far Supra has come over the last several years to produce one of the nicest boats out right now.
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-08-2016, 5:23 AM Reply   
Just out of curiosity, how do they compare with MC, SN, etc.... i haven't really heard of them all that much but always hear MC and SN are top of the line. Others aren't built as well. Any thoughts on that?
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2016, 7:27 AM Reply   
Hunter
My personal opinion is today's Supra is right up against MC and Nautique and Malibu now. In years passed they were a bit behind, but were also a bit behind in the price tag so it was a great trade off. Now I think they are right there. Each of them have their own cool factor and unique features, but these last couple years it is the first time you see manufacturers copying Supra. Just my 2 cents, but there is an obvious shift in the last few years.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-08-2016, 9:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter991 View Post
Just out of curiosity, how do they compare with MC, SN, etc.... i haven't really heard of them all that much but always hear MC and SN are top of the line. Others aren't built as well. Any thoughts on that?
Supra has made leaps and bound changes to their line up. A neighbor on the river just got a SA and the boat is very nice. The wakeboard wake was good and the surf wave was average. I know they have had a ton of minor issues with the boat but have gotten them fixed. they look nice on the water.

While I think that Supra has changed a lot, I would not put them on the same level as CC and MC as there are a lot of small thing that they do that make these boat the top of the line. I do believe they are higher than a Malibu which has seen there quality drop in recent years IMO.

The major difference to me between the CC/MC and the Malibu/Supra is the ride. When we drive on the river with my X23 or my buddies G, the ride is so much smoother compared to a new Supra or BU. I felt like I was getting beat to death in the SA and even my wife made a comment to me about it. My X23/Buddies G rode a lot better and it is a lot more comfortable to me. The Supra and Bu have a very flat hull in the rear which make the rough water ride not as good but they turn better loaded down whereas my X23 continues the V to the rear and the turning radius isn't as good. The G is a very heavy boat and rides pretty decent in rough water.

I'm not a huge fan of the raptor engines but that is a personal preference. I'm sure I will get blasted for this review but this is my opinion.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2016, 10:21 AM Reply   
Dave
If this is your idea of average, I will take it any day of the week.... Let me know if your buddy needs help dialing his SA in. Would be happy to help...
Attached Images

Old     (SurfBoard)      Join Date: Mar 2015       09-08-2016, 10:30 AM Reply   
Looks pretty clean
Old     (Squamer)      Join Date: Oct 2015       09-08-2016, 10:30 AM Reply   
a shin high regular wave in my opinion is average at best regardless of the boat brand.

Clean though, keep it up. I would probably have a Supra if the dealer network around me was better.

Last edited by Squamer; 09-08-2016 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Clean
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-08-2016, 10:41 AM Reply   
Thats good to know about the ride. My friend has a 2013 Moomba and he always complains about his boat after he rides in my 2006X2. Says the MC rides much better in rough water. We were out and the wind picked up. Had 2.5" waves and although we got splashed a few times he said he wouldn't have gone above idle in that kind of water.

Gotta love the looks of the Supra thou.. Wow is the word that comes to mind. I don't like fixing things myself so i am looking for a reliable boat. The one thing about my MC is that it isn't nickle and diming me to death. Very few problems and from what i can tell great attention to detail. I would like the same in my next boat purchase.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-08-2016, 10:58 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by davez71 View Post
Supra has made leaps and bound changes to their line up. A neighbor on the river just got a SA and the boat is very nice. The wakeboard wake was good and the surf wave was average. I know they have had a ton of minor issues with the boat but have gotten them fixed. they look nice on the water.

While I think that Supra has changed a lot, I would not put them on the same level as CC and MC as there are a lot of small thing that they do that make these boat the top of the line. I do believe they are higher than a Malibu which has seen there quality drop in recent years IMO.

The major difference to me between the CC/MC and the Malibu/Supra is the ride. When we drive on the river with my X23 or my buddies G, the ride is so much smoother compared to a new Supra or BU. I felt like I was getting beat to death in the SA and even my wife made a comment to me about it. My X23/Buddies G rode a lot better and it is a lot more comfortable to me. The Supra and Bu have a very flat hull in the rear which make the rough water ride not as good but they turn better loaded down whereas my X23 continues the V to the rear and the turning radius isn't as good. The G is a very heavy boat and rides pretty decent in rough water.

I'm not a huge fan of the raptor engines but that is a personal preference. I'm sure I will get blasted for this review but this is my opinion.
The flip side of the choppy ride discussion is that Malibu is better at a few things:

1 - Clean wake at slow speeds. The deeper V boats just can't clean up at slower speeds.
2 - Drives like a sports car with very little roll/list in the turn. Even the 25LSV turns on a dime and remains flat through the turn. I can turn my A20 around in EXTREMELY tight corners, slammed with ballast.

And all of that is BECAUSE of the flatter rear hull section. Many people never boat in lakes where chop is an issue, so this is just a trade-off. If you need ride comfort in rough conditions, the Malibu may not be for you. But if you're on a calm lake, it might be the better option.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-08-2016, 11:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler97217 View Post
Dave
If this is your idea of average, I will take it any day of the week.... Let me know if your buddy needs help dialing his SA in. Would be happy to help...
That is a great looking wave. He may have some issues with his setup. I tired to help some and did but the screen went out and I have been out on the boat since.

Again, Im just going off personal experience with the only one I have seen. I'm sure they are great boats as most companies make awesome boats. Its really all personal preference.

To me, at the cost of a Supra in South Louisiana vs the MC I would pay a few thousand more for an MC anyday because of the history, build quality, resale, etc.. Again, I'm talking about Louisiana where wakeboards are not so popular. Has there been a CC dealer I would have looked in their direction as well.
Old     (Shane10p)      Join Date: Jul 2013       09-08-2016, 1:16 PM Reply   
I've been pretty lucky this season and spent more time on different models than I ever have. Im on my second Supra SE and I'm about to order my third so obviously I'm a bit biased .... As far as Supra not competing for a spot in the big three I couldn't disagree more ! The quality of the boat , ride and wave it absolutely top notch. I got the opportunity to surf the 17 MC XT23 the second it hit the water and absolutely no comparasion in wave we all struggled to drop the rope even. Rzx has a decent wake .... But it's got some other things going on with it that I wouldn't make it a choice for me. Labor Day I took 2 guys out with me at my home lake who are absolute die hard Malibu guys and they where absolutely blown away with not only the wave but all aspects of the Supra SE. One of them said as soon as he was done riding he's ready to switch it up ... Pretty bold statement for spending 30 min on a boat. Diggs wave is great and not sure how that's average ? I've rode this boat a ton and no tricky camera angles waves just big and clean. The only boat I would even consider against my SE is a G23 and I handling wise I think my 24.6ft boat handles a bit better you could go back and fourth which is better but long story short the Supras will compete with any of the top brands and the got my business again for 2017.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-08-2016, 4:50 PM Reply   
Chris -

In reference to this comment
"a shin high regular wave in my opinion is average at best regardless of the boat brand.
Clean though, keep it up. I would probably have a Supra if the dealer network around me was better.
Last edited by Squamer; Today at 9:31 AM."

That is about 20 feet back with the rider pumping back in to the wave. It is better than waste high in the pocket.... I am assuming you were kidding, but maybe its your first time..
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-08-2016, 6:31 PM Reply   
Of he hasn't installed newest update he may have a few minor computer glitches but nothing major. There are some tweaks you can do to tabs to make wave very nice on both sides. I also had a die hard Malibu guy on my boat even before I got my 16 SA dialed in and he was very impressed. I find that Supra has pushed itself a lot closer to the top. My opinion is that MC is the one slacking they are just working off their name.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-09-2016, 6:22 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
My opinion is that MC is the one slacking they are just working off their name.
Curious as to where they are slacking?

The interiors, fit/finish, Ilmor Engines and construction are some of the best in the industry.

The GEN2 system on my X23 and most models throws a great wave port/starboard and I have not added any additional ballast to the boat.

The rough water ride is the best in the game due to the construction of the boat. The X23 is super smooth in chop due to the hull shape. The Supra will not cut through the water like the X23 due to the flat rear hull.

I have owned multiple Malibu's and Mastercrafts in addition to riding/driving a few CC's and most recently a Supra SA. The MCs handle the waves so much better the others with the G being very nice as well. Maybe there is something wrong with the SA that I was on but on July 4th weekend at the river we got beat to death on that boat crossing the passing boats waves. The X23 cuts right through the waves and is super smooth.

MC does need to work on the turning radius of their lineup.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       09-09-2016, 6:33 AM Reply   
Wakeboats aren't designed to handle choppy conditions ... They're designed to throw a wake. I don't disagree on MC being a great boat (and top 3), but you seem REALLY stuck on ride quality in choppy water when it's basically irrelevant to A LOT of users.
Old     (hunter991)      Join Date: Jul 2016       09-09-2016, 7:08 AM Reply   
for some people it probably doesn't matter. To me however, sometimes it does. Our lake can get rough, and windy. We also like to just cruise with friends once in a while and if the lake gets a little choppy we don't want to be wet or tossed around.

As i mentioned, we got caught in a surprise storm a few weeks back and had 3' rollers. Some boats just hunkered down on shore. We made it back to the launch safely. Good to know how your boat handles in rough water because you never know.
Old     (davez71)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-09-2016, 7:15 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
Wakeboats aren't designed to handle choppy conditions ... They're designed to throw a wake. I don't disagree on MC being a great boat (and top 3), but you seem REALLY stuck on ride quality in choppy water when it's basically irrelevant to A LOT of users.
Choppy conditions or lots of boat waves to cross, its the same thing, but I want a boat that crosses these and handles them with ease. Unless you are on a private lake I would think that everyone wants a boat the rides smooth through all conditions.
Old     (80AM)      Join Date: Apr 2016       09-09-2016, 7:49 AM Reply   
But you sacrifice your wake quality and drive-ability for a rarely used feature.

Who would want their slalom boat to ride great in the chop if it meant a V-hull to the rear and a bigger slalom wake?

The 2nd Gen X-Star had an extremely flat rear which is why it gave the legendary wake it did. You buy a wake boat for the wake it puts out, not to run-about. They make other boats for that.
Old     (07STI)      Join Date: Jul 2015       09-09-2016, 8:10 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80AM View Post
But you sacrifice your wake quality and drive-ability for a rarely used feature.

Who would want their slalom boat to ride great in the chop if it meant a V-hull to the rear and a bigger slalom wake?

The 2nd Gen X-Star had an extremely flat rear which is why it gave the legendary wake it did. You buy a wake boat for the wake it puts out, not to run-about. They make other boats for that.
Agree with this. Virtually all boats are built for an intended purpose (fishing, cruising, wake sports, skiing, etc.). Some say they can do nearly everything, but you give up quality in certain aspects. If going through 2'-3' waves with relative ease is a big deal for me, and I'm willing to give up surfing and a great wakeboard wake, I'll get a Cobalt.

My wife loves surfing and I enjoy wakeboarding. So we own a wakeboat to meet our needs. We stick to lakes/rivers where 2'-3'+ waves are rare. We know that we're giving up ride quality, but it's well worth the wakeboard wake and surf wave.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-09-2016, 8:48 AM Reply   
Quote:

The interiors, fit/finish, Ilmor Engines and construction are some of the best in the industry.

The GEN2 system on my X23 and most models throws a great wave port/starboard and I have not added any additional ballast to the boat.

The rough water ride is the best in the game due to the construction of the boat. The X23 is super smooth in chop due to the hull shape. The Supra will not cut through the water like the X23 due to the flat rear hull.

I have owned multiple Malibu's and Mastercrafts in addition to riding/driving a few CC's and most recently a Supra SA. The MCs handle the waves so much better the others with the G being very nice as well. Maybe there is something wrong with the SA that I was on but on July 4th weekend at the river we got beat to death on that boat crossing the passing boats waves. The X23 cuts right through the waves and is super smooth.

What model SA were you on? Because I've been on a 16 SA and it handles chop just fine. Throw 25-30% ballast in front and no problems.

MC is slacking in my opinion mainly on the dad and cockpit area just doesn't appeal to me and felt almost exactly like my old MB. They have plenty of boats that surf well but the majority of them have mediocre wakeboard wakes.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-09-2016, 8:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80AM View Post

Exactly!!!
Old     (Ttime41)      Join Date: Nov 2011       09-12-2016, 5:36 AM Reply   
Quote:

How about boats that don't handle well (especially when loaded down), no boat that is even in the conversation of having the best surf wave, no boat that can put out a pro level wakeboard wake, and certainly not a single boat that can do both. Are they built well? I'm sure they are, but the days of them having the best performing wake boats are long gone.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       09-28-2016, 1:41 PM Reply   
Can't wait to test out the SE. Might be a contender for next year.