Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (rexlex01)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-21-2016, 8:02 PM Reply   
Looks like a combo of a wakeboard and airchair

http://www.slingshotsports.com/Home/Wakefoiler

Last edited by rexlex01; 11-21-2016 at 8:05 PM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-24-2016, 6:53 PM Reply   
just when you think wakesurfing can't get any worse. They drop this .

That's looks about as much fun as rearranging my sock drawer.
Old     (Mike88)      Join Date: Aug 2016       11-24-2016, 7:30 PM Reply   
Wow.. never thinking that someone would love doing airchair so much that want to do it stand up haha..
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-27-2016, 3:26 AM Reply   
It is not really new.
Foil boarding is a true sport that derives from surfing and now kiters also use foilboards.
It is not easy at all and it is really fun.
You should try before denigrating it.
See what Laird Hamilton does on a foilboard and on a wave and then we can talk again.
By the way, Laird Hamilton is a legend in big wave surfing.
It has nothing to do with airchair, it is an extreme sport practiced on waves or with a kiteboard.

Personally I have been foilboarding since 2006, both behind a boat and with a kite.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-27-2016, 5:37 AM Reply   
Laird Hamilton is a kook.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-27-2016, 6:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by simplej View Post
Laird Hamilton is a kook.
Let's see a couple of toe head beautiful children , wife from
God, living in paradise, surfing jaws at every chance, best picture in all of surfing at Teapoo , real kook, no it's called celebrity and there all different,

JEALOUS?
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-27-2016, 6:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorro View Post
It is not really new.
Foil boarding is a true sport that derives from surfing and now kiters also use foilboards.
It is not easy at all and it is really fun.
You should try before denigrating it.
See what Laird Hamilton does on a foilboard and on a wave and then we can talk again.
By the way, Laird Hamilton is a legend in big wave surfing.
It has nothing to do with airchair, it is an extreme sport practiced on waves or with a kiteboard.

Personally I have been foilboarding since 2006, both behind a boat and with a kite.
Ok I'm more interested now, not $1700 worth, but let's ask the expert. How many times has that foil caught you in a fall?? as my wife's and my surfing gotten better, the boards and fins introduced us to a new phenomena of getting hit by the board on trick fails or hard falls ftom big waves behind boat. sowhat has been your experience and did it involve stitches?

I'm real proud of my wife about this as she has become very tough about this issue and she doesn't even get in the boat anymore when it happens, she just toughs it out. But she now bears scars each time, including the occasional bleeding. I don't want to take her to a hospital and then beg her forgiveness for taking something she loves too far

Last edited by granddaddy53; 11-27-2016 at 6:32 AM.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-27-2016, 7:11 AM Reply   
Well,
You are right, that's the main problem with foils and that is what scares me.

When I said that is it an extreme sport I just referred to that problem, the foil hitting you whan you fall.
It is not so frequent as one might think but it could happen.
The solution is to use a board with inserts for wakeboard bindings (in the very first days I used a board with step-in snowboard bindings and snowboard boots (yes, in the water: the boots did not last long).
The use of wakeboard bindings totally prevents the foil from hitting you when you fall.

Using the foil with straps or even barefoot is all another story: I am still working on it but, as I said, I am scared.

I am now trying to use the foil also on a Standup paddle board. Go to www.gofoil.com and you will understand what I am talking about.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-27-2016, 7:15 AM Reply   
I forgot,
as far as the price is concerned, the kit you indicated includes both the foil and the board.
Take into account that the foil of Slingshot is not an all carbon foil (that would cost at least 1,700 USD).
Thus, I do not think that the combo of Slingshot is expensive with respect to the those of other manufacturers. Simply, the foil is expensive (I do not think they sell many of them, at least for the time being).
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       11-27-2016, 7:29 AM Reply   
Quote:
Well,
You are right, that's the main problem with foils and that is what scares me.

When I said that is it an extreme sport I just referred to that problem, the foil hitting you whan you fall.
It is not so frequent as one might think but it could happen.
The solution is to use a board with inserts for wakeboard bindings (in the very first days I used a board with step-in snowboard bindings and snowboard boots (yes, in the water: the boots did not last long).
The use of wakeboard bindings totally prevents the foil from hitting you when you fall.

Using the foil with straps or even barefoot is all another story: I am still working on it but, as I said, I am scared.

I am now trying to use the foil also on a Standup paddle board. Go to www.gofoil.com and you will understand what I am talking about.
Ok, thought the one laird rode was with the straps like tow in surfboards. I'm guessing sling shot doesn't want to produce that version due to liability. I think that version would be the safe alternative. As it should come just loose enough to not slam you cause no kite rig harness that can slam you and your legs and feet would be pushing away from or staying attached to and keeping that away from torso and head. Who is going to make the tow in version and use it for wake surfing. Could you try that one out for us?? Haha. I'm referring specifically to wake surfing though. The paddle board in real surf, , oww!

Last edited by granddaddy53; 11-27-2016 at 7:34 AM.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-27-2016, 9:10 AM Reply   
Yes, I ma going to try the tow-in version for wakesurfing. I am not sure that using thre straps ois less dangerous than using the board barefoot.
I already use the foil with the board with straps for kiting and I must admit that I am always a little anxious.
No problems at all up to now, but I am not as comfortable as when I use the board with wakeboard bindings.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-27-2016, 10:51 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by granddaddy53 View Post
Let's see a couple of toe head beautiful children , wife from
God, living in paradise, surfing jaws at every chance, best picture in all of surfing at Teapoo , real kook, no it's called celebrity and there all different,

JEALOUS?
They're*

If you follow surf culture at all, you know
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-27-2016, 12:28 PM Reply   
Your first mistake is trying to compare open water , big wave surfing to wakesurfing. Your second mistake is comparing open water foiling to that behind the boat on a surf foil.

But hey nice try. I still stand by my previous post.
Old     (tweeder)      Join Date: Aug 2015       11-27-2016, 8:40 PM Reply   
I dunno, I got to ride one and thought it was a lot of fun and didn't hit the foil falling.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       11-27-2016, 11:24 PM Reply   
Hi Swatguy,
No mistake at all and I explain to you why.
Foiling behind a boat (even a jet ski) is the first step to learn to foil in open water, waves.
It is obvious that open water, big wave surfing is not comparable to wakesurfing and that open water foiling is not comparable to that behind a boat, but to learn you must start from something and behind a boat is the easiest and most common way to learn.
Then if the boat creates a decent wake you can also succeed in foiling without the rope and this is more similar to foiling in (small) waves than you may believe.
As far as foiling in large waves, I will never do that, it is not for me, it is for a small bunch of people who are very far from the average joe.

Just my opinion, I am not saying that you have to like it.
Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       11-30-2016, 2:15 PM Reply   
Swatguy, we have them at the shop now and I'll definitely have it in the water as soon as it warms up again.
You may have to come try it at least. Maybe it's actually fun.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       11-30-2016, 5:23 PM Reply   
Vince

How the hell are ya?

I refuse to give in and swap.......buuuuuut

I'll take you up on that in the spring for sure

Last edited by xstarrider; 11-30-2016 at 5:31 PM.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-01-2016, 8:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Yes, I ma going to try the tow-in version for wakesurfing. I am not sure that using thre straps ois less dangerous than using the board barefoot.
I already use the foil with the board with straps for kiting and I must admit that I am always a little anxious.
No problems at all up to now, but I am not as comfortable as when I use the board with wakeboard bindings.
If you can actually ride as far back as I've seen rope less at the speed of surfing or slow speed wake and can foil board pump to keep up this will be great cause you can keep distance from
Boat but still do surf transfers and other maneuvers. I see the straps savingyou from contact cause it has not left your vicinity but the straps still on feet holding at distance from torso and head or coming off and cause of the push off that will create - I think it will be far enough away and already losing its momentum to reduce the contact possibility. But slingshot not selling a strap version are they?? I'll never do a mod and this price should cover straps
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-01-2016, 8:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeder View Post
I dunno, I got to ride one and thought it was a lot of fun and didn't hit the foil falling.
I really really like and want to try this.......... but
I bet it is fun but the moment I started wake surf higher level maneuvers I immediately started getting hit by the board, so much so I now do a double forearm and hands covering of my face and head.

I guarantee with no straps and stronger maneuvers this will be an issue. I popped actually for the good, but it hurt a lot at contact, a ganglion cyst on my wrist. My wife was slightly cut and bled by fin and scrapped by board damage on one surf fall, trooper kept going, I send her to the hospital and this and I went too far.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-01-2016, 8:44 AM Reply   
Now this type of foil boarding I could get behind

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m0YEdFZO3DA
Old     (vfalco)      Join Date: Mar 2005       12-01-2016, 10:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Vince

How the hell are ya?

I refuse to give in and swap.......buuuuuut

I'll take you up on that in the spring for sure

I'm good, man.
Working in Malibu/Axis land these days.
You'll have to come up and ride next season,
I never pull wakeboarders anymore.
Everyone but you has followed me to the surf side!
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       12-01-2016, 10:55 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstarrider View Post
Now this type of foil boarding I could get behind

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m0YEdFZO3DA
Awesome,
I knew I was watching snowboarding flows n a sky ski and confirmed at end, your ready for those slams and they are going to be serious cause your not coming out of those flows like you might a wakeboard so please send me your vids and I'll stick to far back ropeless pumping . Not as much fun as ropless unless your doing what he's doing and I'm sure you can!! So please vids of the fails ,

on a good note the foil won't hit you!!!!!!!!
Old     (wakebrad)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-01-2016, 12:52 PM Reply   
I tried a kitesurfing foil at surf speeds a couple years ago. It is incredibly squirrelly with the prop wash right behind the boat. I had better luck moving back about 60 ft.

Honestly not that fun, it's incredible for kitesurfing because it's so efficient, but not that great behind the boat. This may be a slightly different design than the ones built for kiting but I can't imagine it would be a vastly different experience.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       12-02-2016, 8:24 AM Reply   
Any foil gets squirrely in the prop-wash - you have to stay out to the side. That being said, for that price, I'll go find a nice used sky-ski which are buckets of fun.
Old     (zorro)      Join Date: Jan 2005       12-02-2016, 12:50 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by granddaddy53 View Post
If you can actually ride as far back as I've seen rope less at the speed of surfing or slow speed wake and can foil board pump to keep up this will be great cause you can keep distance from
Boat but still do surf transfers and other maneuvers. I see the straps savingyou from contact cause it has not left your vicinity but the straps still on feet holding at distance from torso and head or coming off and cause of the push off that will create - I think it will be far enough away and already losing its momentum to reduce the contact possibility. But slingshot not selling a strap version are they?? I'll never do a mod and this price should cover straps
No, Slingshot does not offer the board with the straps but others do.