Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (CAL28)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-20-2015, 9:10 AM Reply   
I am looking for a new board. I need something with soft landings, bad back. I have been riding a ss kine. I like the board but just not working for me. I am looking at either a ronix camber or liquid force hybrid. Anyone have any input on what lands softer, usually take everything wake to wake to make it easier on my body. I don't have anywhere near me to demo.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-20-2015, 9:42 AM Reply   
heard the SS Nomad lands soft
Old     (scuba_steve)      Join Date: Oct 2013       02-20-2015, 10:10 AM Reply   
What is your height/ weight and typical board size? Riding level?

SS makes some great boards that land soft but still give you plenty of pop. The Reflex and Response both fit what you are looking for with the Reflex being their Blended 3 stage rocker for more pop while the Response is a continous rocker for a smoother ride.

The Nomad is Slingshots latest board and meant as a "longboard" / Cruiser style ride. Comes in a 150-155-160. Its a bigger board but because of the all wood core and construction it doesn't weigh any more than a normal foam core board once you add bindings. From everyone I've talked to who has ridden it, you notice the size when you strap in, but after a few mins it feels like regular board. Because of its size you can ride at slower speeds and still blast some big airs.

The Ronix Camber boards are very fun as well. The Bandwagon is the softer more playful board while the Parks will give you a little more kick with an agressive ride. These also allow you to ride a little more even footed and leave the wake level instead of back foot heavy.

LiquidForce has the SuperTrip which to me is similar to the Response from Slingshot. A nice flexible board with a continous rocker. Based on their classic Trip board it can ride the boat but still head to the park as well.
Old     (CAL28)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-20-2015, 10:40 AM Reply   
I'm 5 8. 185. I am leaning towards the bandwagon. I took one set on a parks last year. Was really slow compared to my ss. But something I could get used too. I got ok pop on my heal side but got good pop on my toeside, but was having trouble making the second wake. Probably could fix it after a couple sets.

I am an intermediate rider. Really had trouble being consistent on my ss on my toe edge, so looking at staying away from another ss board. I went back to my lf ennen at the end of the year and my toe jumps were night and day better. I have been riding a long time and haven't had that much trouble on my toe edge for a long time.

I am getting older 33, but still ride a lot. Just want a board that can have fun on and don't have to work so hard.
Old     (razorjaw)      Join Date: Jan 2003 Location: Australia       02-20-2015, 2:03 PM Reply   
I'm same size / slightly lighter weight. 36 y/o. Just went to the LF Watson 139 (now called the classic I think). I've been really impressed on the landings. I usually ride a fishing boat but went out behind a fully loaded MXZ thinking my back was going to cop it but was comfortable going well into the flats. Worth a look - try a size up.

Last edited by razorjaw; 02-20-2015 at 2:05 PM. Reason: Weight conversion wrong :) Metric!
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       02-20-2015, 4:29 PM Reply   
I don't have any experience with the boards you are looking at but for soft landings look into the Hyperlite tribute or CWB transcend. Both have a very large spine and make for nice landings.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-22-2015, 8:22 AM Reply   
I switched over to a bandwagon camber late last year (from a LF Lyman - which is already a soft-landing board) and it's CRAZY how gentle the landings are. I'm 3 knee surgeries deep already, so my knees need anything that will get me another season toward the end of my riding life.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-22-2015, 1:55 PM Reply   
If you thought the Parks was slow, the Bandwagon will be even slower. It is, however, the smoothest board I've ever ridden. AirCore is a bit stiffer than the ATR so you might find yourself leaning that way.
Old     (CAL28)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-22-2015, 5:09 PM Reply   
Well it was my second set of the day and I had just rode my really fast board so it is also a little unfair to judge from that. What size bandwagon are you riding? I was thinking of sizing up on my next board to help with landings, but with the width of the bandwagon I'm not sure.
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-22-2015, 9:50 PM Reply   
I rode a STD, the Bandwagon sizes are a little odd. The SM is supposed to ride like a 135ish board, the STD like a 138ish board and the XL like a 142+ board. The actual lengths of Bandwagons are a little more than regular boards and it'd be too much work to try and explain why a board that was actually 146cm rode like it was a 138.

Last edited by Jmaxymek; 02-22-2015 at 9:51 PM. Reason: "I have a STD" sounded odd
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       02-25-2015, 9:56 AM Reply   
I went from a 143 Lyman to a STD Bandwagon Aircore.
Old     (CAL28)      Join Date: Mar 2010       02-26-2015, 8:50 AM Reply   
I usually get a board around 142. Did the std work for you? Do you wish you would of got the xl?
Old     (jburbo)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-26-2015, 10:52 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmaxymek View Post
I rode a STD, the Bandwagon sizes are a little odd. The SM is supposed to ride like a 135ish board, the STD like a 138ish board and the XL like a 142+ board. The actual lengths of Bandwagons are a little more than regular boards and it'd be too much work to try and explain why a board that was actually 146cm rode like it was a 138.
best reason for an edit to a post, lol. You still have that Bandwagon?
Old     (Jmaxymek)      Join Date: Feb 2012       02-26-2015, 12:17 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jburbo View Post
best reason for an edit to a post, lol. You still have that Bandwagon?
Caught it too late lol... And ya man, you guys riding out your way yet?
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       02-27-2015, 10:20 AM Reply   
Rode the XL Bandwagon for quite awhile and loved it! The landings are by far the softest of any board I have ridden, and with the air core you don't even notice the larger board size because it is so light. It's also the most forgiving board I have ridden, super playful and fun with mellow edges.
Old     (K_Dubbs)      Join Date: Feb 2015       03-01-2015, 2:43 PM Reply   
I just picked up a 143 2015 watson classic, I rode the my friends 139 2014 model last year and I think it breaks the surface tension pretty well with the bottom contour. No cable parks near me so I ride 100% behind a boat. I will add the note that my old board is one of the original LF trips and that thing was know for concrete landings so by comparison most decks are a huge improvement. Longer deck will typically help with softer landings.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       03-03-2015, 9:24 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL28 View Post
I usually get a board around 142. Did the std work for you? Do you wish you would of got the xl?
STD is perfect.. I think the XL would have felt too big. If you're riding a 142 - go STD.

I suspect the odd sizing on that board is because the nose/tail bend WAY up and don't make a lot of contact.

Last edited by biggator; 03-03-2015 at 9:29 AM.
Old     (CAL28)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-06-2015, 8:12 AM Reply   
Has anyone rode both the atr and air core of the bandwagon? Any noticeable differences? Pop? Landings? I will just be using it for boat riding so don't care about differences at the park.
Old     (WakeJp12)      Join Date: Apr 2013       03-06-2015, 1:06 PM Reply   
I've tried out a ton of different boards from different companies over the last few years... as far as soft landings go, the best (in my opinion) is the LF B.O.B. The 5 stage rocker gives some really mellow landings. Even if you take it a few feet to flats on accident , it is still a pretty soft landing.