Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-29-2014, 4:55 AM Reply   
Even the onion can't make this up!
Please pray for his finger!
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-bi...022650786.html
Old     (Froggy)      Join Date: Nov 2013       10-29-2014, 5:22 AM Reply   
Isn't the first thing you do when cleaning a gun is remove the bullets?
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-29-2014, 7:33 AM Reply   
Must have been a glock

My brother in-law is a gunsmith and one of the gun store owner's did the same thing in front of a father and son in the store. I watched the video and you can see him attempt to clear the gun before he went to dissemble the gun. The owner told me, he thinks his finger was in way of the bullet in the chamber and didn't know it didn't eject. You have to pull the trigger to take it apart and boom, right through his hand and the gun case.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       10-29-2014, 8:36 AM Reply   
Guns are dangerous. It is important to always be vigilant and even then, bad stuff can happen (Just like boating).

My dad is a gun safety freak. He has drilled step by step in our heads as kids. The last day of the deer season 2007, he decided to murder a few hogs that had been stalking one of the feeders before dawn all season long. He loaded his 44 Magnum, put it in his holster and reached for his flashlight. He'll admit that his 44 is not a hunting pistol. It was given to him 40 years ago and wasn't new when he got it. It came with an underarm holster. The holster ripped and the gun fell through it flipped and hit the ground just right that it fired. It was a single action and had no safety accept for the hammer. Either it fell on the hammer just right (miracle), It cocked itself on the way through the holster (unlikely) or for some weird reason working in the dark my dad cocked it before putting it into the holster (my dad said that has to be possible). He is a revolver guy, many revolvers safety mechanism is to half-cock the hammer. No one will ever know. The gun fired upward and hit my dad in the wrist. He didn't hear the gun fall, he didn't even feel where it hit him, but he knew that some where he screwed up. He says he should have kept up better care on his equipment at the very least. He spent 3 weeks in the hospital and had at least 10 surgery over two years. His wrist is fused, but he can move his fingers.

The point of the story is to be as safe as possible when handling guns / hunting. Consider the unlikely possible. And on top of all of that , no matter how safe you are you can still hurt yourself really bad. My dad was an expert shooter/hunter. He still hunts today.

Deer season starts next week a few lessons from my dad's story that he will definitely teach at my kids scout classes. 1.) Never hunt alone. 2.) Never rush. 3.) Always double check your equipment. 4.) Go over every process twice. If you are ever in doubt--do it again.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-29-2014, 1:39 PM Reply   
^Word.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-29-2014, 7:49 PM Reply   
It can be good to carry a revolver with hammer on empty chamber. Glocks are pretty safe. Drop the mag work the slide to pop out the cartridge...and its unloaded.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-30-2014, 10:14 AM Reply   
Why a Glock? I have 7 hand guns, and my Glocks are the toughest, most reliable in my arsenal.

Crazy story. Than you for sharing.
Old     (jonblarc7)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-30-2014, 10:42 AM Reply   
The reason I say a glock is not because it's un-safe. It's because he was cleaning it (doesn't mean he really was though) and he shot him self in the hand. You have to pull in the trigger to take it apart. Same thing could have happen just like the store owner I know. He pulled the slide back a couple times and saw no bullet come out and though it was empty. Not realizing a finger was in the way of the cambered round, then he went to take it apart and pulled the trigger.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-30-2014, 11:24 AM Reply   
gotcha.
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-30-2014, 12:38 PM Reply   
I thought everyone should be visually inspecting to see that there is no bullet in the chamber?
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-30-2014, 12:48 PM Reply   
yup. a buddy did the same thing. shot himself in the leg with a 9mm. glocks are weird like that. no safety and you pull the trigger to field strip. they're awesome guns though, not many you can put 10000 rounds through without EVER cleaning it.
Old     (barry)      Join Date: Apr 2002       10-30-2014, 12:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Glocks are pretty safe. Drop the mag work the slide to pop out the cartridge...and its unloaded.
Weak extractor spring.
Broken extractor.
Torn case rim.
Grossly out of spec cartridge.

All of these conditions say that it's not unloaded with a simple 'working of the slide'.
Dane is right, visual inspection.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-30-2014, 1:08 PM Reply   
Visual inspection would apply to any firearm picked up, regardless of make.
Old     (snyder)      Join Date: Feb 2006       10-30-2014, 2:28 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure with the springfield XD's you also have to pull the trigger to remove the slide.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-30-2014, 3:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
yup. a buddy did the same thing. shot himself in the leg with a 9mm. glocks are weird like that. no safety and you pull the trigger to field strip. they're awesome guns though, not many you can put 10000 rounds through without EVER cleaning it.
I have two G19s as our family SHTF weapons. One, I decided to never clean and never oil to see if it would live up to its indestructible reputation. I've got a thousand rounds through it over 2 years, and so far so good. Never a single malfunction.

The idea of an unintentional discharge scares the hell out of me. I have a process to triple check every time I pick up, or set down a weapon that someone else couple potentially pick up.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       10-30-2014, 3:24 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrod View Post
I have two G19s as our family SHTF weapons. One, I decided to never clean and never oil to see if it would live up to its indestructible reputation. I've got a thousand rounds through it over 2 years, and so far so good. Never a single malfunction.

The idea of an unintentional discharge scares the hell out of me. I have a process to triple check every time I pick up, or set down a weapon that someone else couple potentially pick up.
I've got quite a few through my G19 as well. Guy at local range claims he's actually done 10000. Hard to beat the capacity of a 19. great SHTF gun
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-31-2014, 7:51 AM Reply   
Drop mag, open the action, inspect. Do this w pistol pointed in safe direction and do it more then 1x if not certain. Some people are too stupid to handle a firearm. Jose dip**** is one of them.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-03-2014, 6:02 AM Reply   
There is no doubt that a Glock is more dangerous if you rely on a safety. I never chamber a round until I'm ready to fire so I never use the safety on any of my guns. I never hand off any gun of any kind unless the breach is open.

My large bore plinking gun is a Glock 17 and I love it. Easy to work on (.25 trigger job) and you can buy the cheapest garbage ammo available. For shooting steel plates and paper it is a good time.
Old     (eubanks01)      Join Date: Jun 2001       11-03-2014, 8:19 AM Reply   
I have a G19 also. Yes, you have to pull the trigger to field strip but when did we start leaving out the part "in a safe direction"?

Guns are dangerous. People not using common sense and following safety protocols are more dangerous.
Old     (jason_ssr)      Join Date: Apr 2001       11-03-2014, 3:20 PM Reply   
If you own a gun, you owe it to yourself to know EXACTLY why and how it works the way it does. Too many people buy a gun and learn how to chamber and fire it without understanding what its doing and how it works.

My FIL is in DHS and has to qualify regularly. He has told me how many times PROFESSIONALS go into qualify with duty weapons (no safety) and when asked to unload their weapon completely on the table and point it down range and pull the trigger, that the thing goes off. All because they rack the slide before dropping the source. IMO its because they don't have intimate knowledge of the weapon and therefore the logic flaw doesn't throw a mental red flag when they do it.
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       11-05-2014, 11:54 AM Reply   
I loved my G19. Never had a single problem with it. It shot well, never had a FTF or FTE. It's very easy to clean. I could do everything on that gun from shooting to field stripping one handed if I needed to.
I actually downgraded though to a smaller Kel-Tec PF9 just for something more easily concealable and more likely to go with me everywhere.

I chose it because it has the same feel as my G19. No external safety, just put in the mag, rack the slide and fire. The mechanisms for the trigger and firing pin, but they run the same.

Either way, always check and double check your guns are unloaded before cleaning them. If you don't you're a moron and this happens.