Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (carter134)      Join Date: Jun 2012       04-30-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
looking at a 2006 xtar with the 8.1 in it. just wonder what it cost to run one gas wise how much fuel are you going to burn through per set. also how will it compare to a 2006 x2 with the mcx engine that runs about 2500 pounds of weight in it? thanks !
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       04-30-2013, 1:40 PM Reply   
It's slightly more expensive to run in my experience, but not much. The big block torque gets you on plane with less work, unless you keep adding weight. The boat will take as much weight as you want to throw at it, which was our issue. We kept making the wake bigger and bigger and bigger. The Xstar with the 8.1 is still probably one of the best wake machines ever. Unlimited power.

The downside....... 8.1 has a history of blowing head gaskets, sucking water into the cylinder, and hydro-locking. We blew up three 8.1 motors in less than two seasons. Be sure to ask the owner for records and ask if they have had engine trouble.

I had a 2005 X2, and I didn't think the Xstar was much more expensive to run, if at all.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-30-2013, 3:08 PM Reply   
Mas peso mas petrol, realistically 12+ gph
Old     (sledgehammer)      Join Date: Sep 2002       05-02-2013, 8:20 PM Reply   
It's hard to pass up an 8.1 if everything checks out well and the price is right. You can load that thing like 5000 lbs
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2013, 8:41 PM Reply   
I heard from someone who used to ride one heavy that it was about 35$ a set
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-02-2013, 8:42 PM Reply   
On a side note he said it was actually worth it and the best wake he had ever ridden.