Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-14-2015, 7:37 PM Reply   
Trying to decide on a IB sub for a winter upgrade project. Going to try something new here as the Nautique leaves very limited sub location ideas. The 12 under the observes bench just isn't cutting it. It's a Polk with about 400rms at the moment. I am reconfiguring some things and have 300rms open to push the IB sub.

So these are the two. Thoughts?

Last edited by xstarrider; 10-14-2015 at 7:40 PM.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-15-2015, 12:23 PM Reply   
Most I thing would agree, that the JL is going to be the most musical of those two. Personally, i'll take the extra power handling of the XS-10fa. Given that you have amp wattage already, I think it may be a wash. Just note that the "M" has a little higher power handling then the MX.

Beyond that, im a little confused on what you are looking to do. If I am reading this correct, you are pulling a 12" Polk driven with 400W in place of a 10" witgh 300W? Or are you adding 10" in addition?
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-15-2015, 12:54 PM Reply   
Both are good woofers and both are true high 'Q' infinite baffle.
Skip over the JL Audio MX series and go with the M series instead. There's a major difference if you have the extra power available to a 4-ohm load. I've used the JL Audio 'M' IB sub from 250 regulated to 340 unregulated power and it was impressive for what it is.
Infinite baffle can perform well if executed correctly which I rarely see it done properly.
There will be SQ advantages in a direct-radiating woofer, as you would use the IB in this case.
There will be disadvantages when dropping from a 12" to a 10".
With a sub/box inside the port locker you need an open aperture/vent equal to the surface area of the woofer. There's still some losses in output and big losses in SQ.
But there's going to be some give and take with both approaches. Neither will come close to those boats that are fortunate to fit a direct-radiating 12" under the driver's helm console.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-15-2015, 12:56 PM Reply   
I have the JL on our 210 and am very happy with it considering what it is. It is not to be compared to a sealed or ported sub, but to replace the stock sub on our boat with a true IB sub it made a world of difference. I will at some point put more power to it and hope that will bring it to life even more. If you have a sealed or ported 12 in your passenger compartment why not just vent that compartment to let the sound out? I did this on our last Nautique and it sounded great.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       10-15-2015, 9:14 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpthril View Post
Most I thing would agree, that the JL is going to be the most musical of those two. Personally, i'll take the extra power handling of the XS-10fa. Given that you have amp wattage already, I think it may be a wash. Just note that the "M" has a little higher power handling then the MX.

Beyond that, im a little confused on what you are looking to do. If I am reading this correct, you are pulling a 12" Polk driven with 400W in place of a 10" witgh 300W? Or are you adding 10" in addition?
Mike

I am going to pull the 12 that is getting the 400 now. It's location is far from optional. It's under the observers seat enclosed in that compartment. It's barely noticeable under there. It leaves a to to be desired. My old boat I had that same 12 at the drivers feet in a custom box with the same power and it was more than enough in that environment. So my options I believe are vent the walkway wall and fire the current sub out, go with a monster 12 under there and feed it huge power, or taking the IB route and firing that right into the cockpit area.
From what I can tell and have found the direct IB option seems to be a solid solution. Would you recommend something different?

Jerry
That thought has crossed my mind as well. That's a huge port there in the walkway and I still lose the storage. It's give an take in everything here.

I guess I should've looked at the M series a bit closer. I just assumed it was way to $$ like the jump from the MX -M series speakers,but the sub jump isn't that much

Last edited by xstarrider; 10-15-2015 at 9:19 PM.
Old     (cedarcreek216V)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-16-2015, 6:13 AM Reply   
I will say I was way more happy with the sub in our last Nautique when we have a ported box in the vented passenger compartment if that helps at all. When it's not sealed its just a rattle cage in there. If you want to get an idea what it will sound like vented before you go cutting gel, crank it up and pop the passenger seat up. If you are still not happy with that sound you won't be happy with it vented. I can understand the storage issue, that's why we went with the IB in the stock location on our new 210. I still have the other ported sub just in case, but not sure we will ever use it on this boat.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-16-2015, 2:10 PM Reply   
If the IB setup is executed properly, I think you will see the improvement with a direct radiating sub, over a sub stowed in an insulated locker.
Old     (Truekaotik)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-18-2015, 5:58 AM Reply   
You should port the 12" or relocate it. Adding a 10" will be more work, it's harder to tune two woofers in different locations and configuration if you don't know what your doing. Spend the money how you choose but you already have a bigger woofer with more power that can be fixed from its crappy undersized non-rigid enclosure.