Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-23-2016, 9:53 PM Reply   
Just finished another iteration of Surf Gate. This is on a 2005 Sanger V230 and I went with this design as the back of the Sanger has a compound curve that makes it hard to fit to. Can't wait to test it...
Attached Images

Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       03-24-2016, 10:45 AM Reply   
I cant wait as well. good results on your 230 from the first one?
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-24-2016, 5:55 PM Reply   
Yes, the first Wedge version did work, except the velcro did not stay on, as my boat sits in the water 24/7. So, the suction cup seems like a good option, and I like the option of adjustability to hit the sweet spot.
Old     (laptom)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-26-2016, 12:57 PM Reply   
I really like this idea! Was also thinking about something like this, but this looks awesome!
Can you show the attachment on the swim platform? And what is that thing in the middle of the gate?
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-26-2016, 10:25 PM Reply   
The thing in the middle of the gate is a pump suction cup rated to hold 70 lbs, which is from www.wpg.com I took it apart and mounted the pump part on one half and the actual suction cup on the other half with a tube sending the suction between them. The mount on the swim platform is some common galvanized steel pipe nipples and end plates, then a caster wheel is taken apart and used as the mount for the adjustable leg which is the bottom part of a crutch. This is connected with a quick release pin that I got at Fastenal. The mount on the gate is a swivel caster with the wheel removed. I am hoping all components will withstand the forces, but if not then I will beef up parts that need to be sturdier, ie: if the crutch leg is not strong enough, I will make one out of 2 pieces of square aluminum one inside the other with holes drilled, and another quick pin to change adjustment. Good luck and have fun with your build!
Old     (wakemetoday)      Join Date: Mar 2006       03-27-2016, 7:52 AM Reply   
Really cool idea using the suction cup, but could you provide a more accurate description of it? I can't find anything that size or matching the description on the website.
Old     (rlwagens)      Join Date: Feb 2008       03-27-2016, 6:37 PM Reply   
Looks like this one right here:

http://www.wpg.com/catalog/vacuum-mo...tl6amb1420t14l

Just search the model number to find it online, looks to be around $75
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-27-2016, 8:35 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlwagens View Post
Looks like this one right here:

http://www.wpg.com/catalog/vacuum-mo...tl6amb1420t14l

Just search the model number to find it online, looks to be around $75
Yes, that is the correct one, they have other models that are not concave and have release buttons built in, but it is no problem to reach in and release it with your finger, and I think most boats will have some concave shape to them, so I would stick to this configuration. I bought mine from: www.mytoolstore.com for a lot less than $75
I should also mention that the material that I used for the Suction Cup half that goes on the boat is "Puck Board" also known as HDPE, It is only 1/4 thick as this thickness is easier to heat and bend as you will need to make about a 1-1/2" transition bend so it takes up the thickness of the suction cup and is tight against the hull of the boat. The other side is 1/2" thick plastic that is more ridged than the HDPE. I picked it up at a local Plastics store for $20. This size is 12" wide and 18' Long. It you find this too big, then it can always be cut down easily. The hinge and other hardware is all Home Depot stock items. Hope that is clear as lake water!?
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-28-2016, 12:10 PM Reply   
What is the orange rope going to in the last couple of pictures?
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-28-2016, 6:30 PM Reply   
It is going nowhere, but it should be connected to the eye bolt as a teather when in use, in case it comes off, as it will not float!
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-28-2016, 10:35 PM Reply   
That's what I figured, but it was a bit confusing looking at the pictures.

I might have to build me one of these, looks like fun!
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       03-29-2016, 1:52 AM Reply   
Could clean up the install a little bit and use Lenco actuator brackets instead of those casters. Probably wouldn't be too difficult to swap to an the actuator when you wanted to upgrade.
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-30-2016, 6:37 PM Reply   
Yeah, I may have to go with those if my HD Specials don't stand up to the forces!, but once the boat is in the water, I will not see them all summer... Also, note the one on the gate is a swivel which allows smooth movement and alignment of the adjustable leg due to the angle of the hull.
Old     (ChaseR720)      Join Date: Jul 2015       03-31-2016, 4:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet2Ward View Post
Yeah, I may have to go with those if my HD Specials don't stand up to the forces!, but once the boat is in the water, I will not see them all summer... Also, note the one on the gate is a swivel which allows smooth movement and alignment of the adjustable leg due to the angle of the hull.
I see. Didn't notice the swivel before. Its a well thought out project for sure. Be sure to post results when you get a chance to try it out. I'm thinking about building something similar this year as well.
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-31-2016, 8:57 PM Reply   
Yep sure will, snow is all gone, hopefully to the lake in a few weeks... The other detail I forgot about is also related to the wierd angles it goes through when adjusting. Along with the swivel caster body, I also made about 1" long elongated holes on the adjustable leg end that attaches to the swivel caster, which allows the spring loaded pins to line up properly as you adjust in and out. It is crazy how such a simple concept turns complex with a few angles thrown in!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       04-14-2016, 10:37 AM Reply   
tested 2.0 yet?
Old     (Wet2Ward)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-15-2016, 8:40 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd1 View Post
tested 2.0 yet?
Taking the boat to the lake this weekend! Not sure if the ice is off yet, but if it is, I will take some video and report back...
Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       04-26-2016, 10:23 AM Reply   
WhooHooo Can't wait!