Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (drewproses)      Join Date: Oct 2008       03-28-2011, 10:37 AM Reply   

from Pat Brady on Vimeo.

Old     (juniorhawk)      Join Date: Jul 2004 Location: New England       03-29-2011, 3:31 PM Reply   
very nice.
Those huge wide sliders do nothing for me but you show great control on the rainbow and the video is sick to death.
Nice riding muh man!!!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       03-29-2011, 3:51 PM Reply   
Nice. the back one off the kick was LARGE
Old     (Robby_Jacques)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-29-2011, 4:20 PM Reply   
Narrow rail, wide rail... who cares. If it is fun then that is all that matters. Could we also get rid of the term "sliders" and universally adopt a less lame sounding term? Specifics for each apparatus would be lovely... Box, rainbow, flat bar, just saying "rails" works as well.

On topic now, Nice video, Sir.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       03-29-2011, 4:35 PM Reply   
SPINNING ON RAILS ISNT DEAD!!!!!!!!!! But in all serious, great video, I loved the air tricks. Double S-bend?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-29-2011, 5:27 PM Reply   
That was some sweet riding.
Old     (kyle_L)      Join Date: Mar 2010       03-29-2011, 6:51 PM Reply   
YEAHHHHHH DREW!!!!! So stoked on that!!! Tell Pat to send me the .mov files so i can make some sequences
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-29-2011, 7:54 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby_Jacques View Post
Narrow rail, wide rail... who cares. If it is fun then that is all that matters. Could we also get rid of the term "sliders" and universally adopt a less lame sounding term? Specifics for each apparatus would be lovely... Box, rainbow, flat bar, just saying "rails" works as well.

On topic now, Nice video, Sir.
Sorry man, gonna respectfully disagree, which I know is baffling since you are who you are, and you can kill rails, boxes, and any apparatus better than me. A rail is a rail. And that is not anything that has a flat top made of plastic. Boxes, rainbows, etc. yes. Sliders are flat surfaces in which you slide across, thus it's a pretty perfect term. Very few rails have been done, the last one I saw published was Lidberg on that gnarly one.
Old     (Robby_Jacques)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-29-2011, 8:18 PM Reply   
By definition, yes, a rail is a rail. Since "rail" is derived from "handrail", I completely agree that it isn't the most accurate description of what we are hitting out there on the water. The problem I am running in to is the blanket term "sliders" sounding lame. I just prefer the term "rail"... just my personal opinion.
Old     (cheesydog)      Join Date: Mar 2009       03-29-2011, 8:41 PM Reply   
some sweet riding right there, left foot forward dub s, yeh man!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       03-29-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
I could go for a couple sliders and fries...

or grinders?

nice vid!
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       03-30-2011, 6:14 AM Reply   
^ Hahahaha... Sliders and fries... LOL

Calling any rail a "slider" is kinda like calling any dog a "canine"... technically you're correct, but normal people are gonna look at you like ur retarded
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-30-2011, 7:44 AM Reply   
sliders hahhahahaha LOVE IT!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       03-30-2011, 7:46 AM Reply   
oh Nice Riding!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-30-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
Quote:
Could we also get rid of the term "sliders" and universally adopt a less lame sounding term? Specifics for each apparatus would be lovely... Box, rainbow, flat bar, just saying "rails" works as well.
I have to disagree with using the term "rail" to describe all hits, especially since an actual rail (as in a round metal hand rail for a staircase) is a pretty rare site in wakeboarding. "Flat rail" is probably useful until it gets to be about 12 inches wide, but at that point I think calling it a rail is a little insulting to "real" rails. I love hitting those wide-ass picnic tables, but I would never claim that I'm hitting a rail when I do so. There are people much better than me that hit "rails." I'd go with "slider" before I called them rails, but that's just me.

What's a more descriptive term we can use for fat flat rails?
Old     (Robby_Jacques)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-30-2011, 9:33 PM Reply   
David, If you notice, I posted twice clarifying my point. No, it is not accurate, but in my personal opinion "slider" sounds weak. My point is more geared toward a blanket term. For example: "Dude Brah-stick lets go hit some slippery sliders" compared to "Yo Homie-McDopeshred lets go hit some rails". However, when hitting a 37 foot wide box, I will say "Cool, I just hit a box", when hitting a kicker "KICKERS!!!" etc... As far as a more accurate term for a "wide flat rail"? How about "Three to seven trex wide apparatus, constructed using pressure treated plywood, 2x4s, 2x6s, deck screws, and 4x6s". That's about as accurate as I can go without an engineering degree (Thanks Pat <3). At the end of the day, it is just my opinion, which in the grand scheme of things... doesn't matter at all. I just like discussing the little things like this.
Old     (deltawakerider)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-30-2011, 10:17 PM Reply   
jib the box?
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       03-31-2011, 8:26 AM Reply   
Rob, I understand what you're saying. Obstacles and hits are the only two terms that I think really cover everything and obstacles seems kind of lame because it makes it sound like it's something that's in your way. I'm all for calling them all "hits" (as you suggested on the other thread). Let's get some more suggestions going here! We need an industry-wide term that is acceptable to the masses and makes sense to everyone.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       03-31-2011, 8:48 AM Reply   
Slider is the most generic term that's accurate. If people don't like sliders then they should ask the park to make some real rails. Which I'm all for. The new slider at OWC is the first rail I think they've ever put out. They used to use PVC pipe, but IIRC only double wide, which is really a slider.

They also used to have some really steep incline that might of had only one pipe. But it didn't stay around long and I can't remember exactly how it was built.
Old     (captain_vilfo)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-31-2011, 11:50 AM Reply   
anything less than 12'' i refer to as a rail, anything larger is a box but thats just me. Slider just doesnt roll off the tongue quite as well as box or rail.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-31-2011, 11:55 AM Reply   
I guess I've never run into this problem when describing rails. When my crew is talking about it we also just say "lets build an A-frame" or "a flat-up-flat would be sweet". When you are talking with a wakeboarder and you are on the same page that you are talking about rails, i find just calling it by what it is makes the most sense.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       03-31-2011, 2:21 PM Reply   
Who would have thought that, ownership over political correctness is now being taken over by persons who are on the opposite side of the political spectrum of those who previously lorded over PC-ness? Which is odd because, political correctness is a fickle mistress.

This off-season, Sarah Palin introduced the public to the offensiveness of the R-word (did anyone see the use ... possibly insensitive use ... of the R-word in a previous post?).

Now an admired wake-personality is enlightening the public on the un-PC use of the S-word.

Where does it end? Oh, isn’t there a question over a T-word? ‘Trick?’

R-words, S-words and T-words? How far will this go?

“Specifics ... would be lovely” ?!?!?

Where a TS backroll is back flip?

Pete Rose? Fruit Loop ?!?!?

At least ‘Slim Chance’ and ‘Fat Chance’ are specifically distinguished.
Old     (Robby_Jacques)      Join Date: Feb 2011       03-31-2011, 2:56 PM Reply   
"At the end of the day, it is just my opinion, which in the grand scheme of things... doesn't matter at all. I just like discussing the little things like this."

John211, I feel that this quote is all I need to respond to your post. Did I offend you? You seem a bit upset with me. Am I not entitled to my opinion?

As far as the "TS backroll, being a backflip" comment... Wouldn't the term backflip be a LESS accurate way to describe a TS backroll? I feel that is pretty descriptive. Pete Rose, Scarecrow, and Slim chance, however, describe a washed up baseball player with a gambling problem, an ineffective way to keep birds off of your crops, and the chance of you dating Olivia Wilde, respectively.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-01-2011, 2:48 AM Reply   
I thought your comment dumb.

It smacked of cable-park elitism.

"He calls it a slider. Everybody knows you don't call it a slider."

Olivia Wilde ?!?! Sounds like you got designs on that. Get some.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-01-2011, 8:27 AM Reply   
Quote:
ything less than 12'' i refer to as a rail
thats what she said.