Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 29, 2007

Old     (jgmaher)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-25-2007, 11:16 PM Reply   
Hey all,

I've been riding pretty horribly lately and I'm trying to figure out why. at the end of the summer I was tossing every kind of 3 possible, ts 5's, crows, elephants, roll-to-reverts, and started learning ts 7s. All the basic inverts and raleys have pretty much been solid for a while now. But I'm at the point right now where it's getting colder by the week and we're ridin' year round.. and I feel like I should be progressing due to the continual ride sessions. but I'm not. It seems like I've gotten worse! Pretty much all that stuff I listed I could throw down almost every time, but it's just not there anymore. Like today, I tried throwin that 5 probably 10 times and couldn't stick it! Same with the crows, r2r's. These are tricks I'd usually land a few times during each set! Seems like the past couple months I've just been goin downhill. So anyway, I know that a day on the water obviously is better than any day not, but this slump is seriously getting me pissed off every time I ride.. and I know that's not what wakeboarding is all about!! So anyway, I was wondering if any of you fellow riders have been through a phase like mine and can spill me some wisdom.. ANYTHING that could help put me back to where I was. I'd appreciate any input, advice, or help I can get. thanks!
Old     (bakenwake)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-26-2007, 4:05 AM Reply   
dont get caught up on tricks u can already do try something new i have been through it
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       10-26-2007, 5:43 AM Reply   
Most people go through spells where we can't stick our normal bag so what you are going through is pretty normal. I wish I had all the tricks you did.

Here are a couple of things you might try. First I never do something 10 times in a row if I'm crashing and burning every time. Doing something repeatedly wrong will develop the wrong muscle memory, create a deep sense of frustration, and increase your risk for injury. This is important because inverts are based on blending the right mechanics with the 'feel' of your body in the air. If I'm not getting something in 3 tries or at least getting very close, I work on something else for that set.

You might want to take a small break or riding with someone who can act as a coach as well. It will all come back for you.
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       10-26-2007, 7:13 AM Reply   
I have the hardest time keeping my OA spins. I have lost HS OA probably 3 times now.

Just dont spend to much effort on one trick. If I dont stick a trick within 3 tries, I move on to something else. Also, the tricks that you haven't lost, try adding a grab.
Old     (pfort)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-26-2007, 7:32 AM Reply   
When I am going through a slump, I realize I am not having fun and no one else on the boat is as well. Try and go out and just ride to have fun. Throw some fashion airs, grabs, things you could do in your sleep. Your tricks will come back when you are more relaxed. The harder you are on yourself the more likely you are not going to get back in your groove. That is the attitude I try to take each time out. There is my 2 cents.
Old     (robertr720)      Join Date: Aug 2007       10-26-2007, 8:16 AM Reply   
When I can't get my normal bag of tricks on my first set it kindda gets to me too. I will usually try something that I have never done before and if I get even relativaly close it gets me all stoked and charging the wake hard then all the tricks that I wasn't hitting just seem to fall into place because I am so focused on getting to the new trick that my body just seems to do all the ones that I usually have dialed for me.
Old     (partyb)      Join Date: Dec 2001       10-26-2007, 8:19 AM Reply   
I would try these things:
1. You are probably burnt out or overtrained. Take a rest. At least a week off from riding. Probably two. Then:
2. Maybe get a lesson.
3. Start with the basics, perfect w2w jumps, 180's, riding all the way up the wake, etc. It's all about the basics.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-26-2007, 8:24 AM Reply   
I agree on the "Burnt out thing."

When this happens to me, I take a brake. Most of the time I come back better, and without the bad habits I somehow picked up
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-26-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
.....well being 21, one normally doesn't realize that your body and mind do have limits. You could either be physically overtrained or mentally burnt out.....as you do seem to be riding alot!

So maybe even a couple of weeks off or better yet a month (you are riding all year), ......it would seem like an impossibility to do that but that may be just what you need. After the layoff you would just be burning to get back on the water and your mental focus and concentration would be back at 110%. I once too was a hard headed yute......and would never rest or lighten up for nothing...but than can slow your learning curve.
If you cant rest def.like was said above mix it up just ride for fun maybe wakesurf a bit ....then come back to your stuff a few weeks later.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-27-2007, 3:17 PM Reply   
When nothings going my way for the day, I just tell the driver to throw me some double ups. Nothing gets me more jacked about riding as a whole as getting booted and grabbing some huge airs, nothing tech, just gives me a good feeling. Then maybe I'll get back to what I was working on before.

What everyone else said about specific tricks is right on though. One day things just won't click, and the next you'll be sticking your tricks first try.
Old     (newbloodaz)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-27-2007, 3:31 PM Reply   
jump on a wake skate, best advice it gets your mechanics changing... take a few sets on a skate then jump on your board. The addition to bindings and a bigger board makes riding easier! In better terms it freshens your bad habbits! which is the number one cause of lost tricks! BACK TO THE BASICS
Old     (czap)      Join Date: Oct 2007       10-27-2007, 3:46 PM Reply   
Yeah dude i feel your pain.

My advice is go out and dont do any of your big tricks. Learn some new grabs, put new grabs on tricks, work on techy/easy stuff, hit some d ups, and try new stuff. If that doesnt work then you probably need a break.
Old     (goatroper222000)      Join Date: Dec 2006       10-27-2007, 4:56 PM Reply   
Take a break from all the tricks. just go out and have fun screwin around with power slides and slidin the wake and stuff. Also, get some music blastin so you get that adrenaline(sp?) pumping. Dont worry about what you can or cant or arent doing. Sit back and look at what you have and remember how fun what you are doing really is.

This is what i do when i get into a situation like yours. Once you get it into the above perspective(sp?) you will find it easier to learn and progress.

Just my .02

Josh
Old     (nowake)      Join Date: Jul 2007       10-27-2007, 5:15 PM Reply   
I'm not on your level, but I have had days where the tricks that are normally a snap just aren't working. For me it happens when I think to much. The next time out don't think about anything. Don't think about your takeoff, or your landing, or what to do in the air, etc.. just do it. So far that has worked for me, maybe give it a shot?