Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       06-13-2011, 10:57 PM Reply   
This review is mainly for those looking to get into the wakeboat community in the "price point" line of boats. Moomba has been known as the leading price point boat but then came along Axis. In Sept 2009 I bought a new leftover 2008 Moomba XLV (23ft). Thought I had a great boat until I traded it in on the Axis A22. The straw that broke the camel's back was that the Moomba XLV just sucked at getting a clean wake at less then 23-24mph on BOTH sides. My speedo on the XLV was not GPS calibrated and another XLV owner I've chatted with agreed that his could not get a clean wake on both side below 22.7mph on his speed control. I'm a beginner still as well as my lady friend. I really wanted to have clean, crisp wakes that were firm without feeling like I was tripping over a curb. The Axis seemed to be the perfect answer and is. Clean wakes down to 18mph all day. Here's a list of pros and cons I can think of immediately between the new 2011 Axis A22 and my previous 2008 Moomba XLV.

Axis pros vs. Moomba XLV:
  • Wake is clean down to 18mph and boat is not side to side weight sensitive like Moombas
  • Better ride in any conditions but especially rough water AND is a smaller, lighter boat
  • Better build quality...tower does not rattle or squeek like the Moomba and tower pads stay put
  • Can drive/steer the Axis with one finger, Moomba feels like no power steering in a car
  • Takes double ups and rollers softer and more solid (even big surf rollers)
  • No chine locking like the XLV did all the time
  • Turns pretty flat, XLV leaned way over
  • Axis cruise actually works, Moomba cruise actually sucks
  • Snap out carpet (my Axis came with the pimp Tatami mat)
  • Swivel drivers seat
  • Bigger bow
  • 2 engine hatches instead of 3 which means less water dripping into the engine compartment
  • Engine compartment tray for ropes and what not
  • No carpet in the rear locker floors
  • Better helm layout (ballast switches on dash not near legs like in Moombas)
  • Radio/stereo is on drivers side
  • Better hardware (hinges and struts)
  • Better, solid platform .Moombas rattle, loose, and extend off the boat an inch or two (snags rope)
  • Stereo remote is better (Sony) and not cheesy looking
  • Digital depth, water, air, oil, volts, etc...
  • 7 bright LED lights
  • Very good stock stereo system with sub (all it needs really is a WS420 to isolate the towers/sub)
  • Rear seat to put on board (can actually sit two people)
Moomba pros vs. Axis
  • Interior has more curves but I still like the Axis interior
  • Larger sun deck/pad
  • Wakeboards/surfboards fit into rear lockers (not in the Axis they dont at all with bindings on)

Bottom line to my...in my opinion is, if you are going to spending upper $40k into the $50k range on a wakeboat the Axis is by far the better boat. If you are a wakeboarder who likes to surf occassionally or regularly the Axis will do both with no problem. The ease of setting up the Axis without the weight sensitivity of the Moomba and the better quality of the Axis over the Moomba makes it a better choice. It rides better, feels better, drives better, and overall is better dollar for dollar.