Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-22-2005, 6:14 PM Reply   
does anyone know where to get some foam to shape a box?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-22-2005, 6:47 PM Reply   
Tap plastics
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-22-2005, 8:00 PM Reply   
Now you're talking, Shawn. Next biggest cool step would be to buy sheet latex from Small Parts Inc. and get ahold of a vacuum pump.

Carve the foam, cover it with packing tape, layup your wet fabric and then use the latex as a bag. Suck her down, let it cure. Post cure if you're nasty.

Pull off the bag, cut speaker holes, dig foam out with screwdriver, pull tape out, epoxy-in any reinforcements and enjoy a seamless, light part.

Amen.
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-22-2005, 8:46 PM Reply   
sounds good, but where do i get some foam?
Old    whitechocolate            02-23-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Shawn. You can buy it in blocks from tap or you Like mike said buy it from a place called Tap Plastic's. It come's as a 2 part liquid that you mix together and then it reacts and start's to expand. If you go to tap they can help you with instruction's they know enough to get you started. Its a fun learning process. Its easy to work with /cut shape sand, Please wear eye protection and a dust mask. Depending on what your making you might want to pick up some small cutting tools like the hand foam saw, it makes cutting and shaping a snap. let me know if you have any more question's

BTW there is a chemical that you can use that will break down the foam after your done so you dont need to hack out the old foam when your finished. Down side is your left with a chemical sludge that you need to deal with, no big deal
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-23-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
Is there a website or a number for this company?
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-23-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
Grant, thanks for the info, helpful as always. BTW, my wife and i just moved back up to roseville, so i hope i will see you guys at the delta soon, thaks again -shawn-
Old     (timmy)      Join Date: Jul 2001       02-23-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
another option if you are filling an existing odd shaped cavity is to lay down a couple layers of aluminum foil and lay your first layer or two of glass on the foil, remove the shell and add a couple more layers and finish the box. That is how I did mine, and no foam to mess with. The shape becomes completely custom to where it is going to fit, and eliminates guesswork in the foam shaping. If the sub box is not filling a cavity and most of the surfaces are visible, yes def go with the foam, and vacuum bag, then you have a lot prettier finish.