Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    SamIngram            05-12-2011, 4:42 PM Reply   
I generally ride an Obrien Cartel which is now the Cartel. My buddies all ride the Decade. I see on the obrien website that the 2011's look a little different.

Has anyone ridden the Format or new Decade? Is the Decade the same as years past?

Thanks!
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-12-2011, 8:34 PM Reply   
Yeah Man I ride the 2011 Decade. Its the same as it was the last two years. But I thinks it as close to perfect as a board can get. Although I must say I have a Paradigm and that this is Crazy fun! The New boots with the canted base are so nice. Super Cush and easy on the knees with the added cant.
Old     (robholihan)      Join Date: Mar 2011       05-12-2011, 8:59 PM Reply   
The decade is the best board that i have ever ridden by far. It is pretty fast, 3 stage, and predictable, The Format has a sharper edge and is a little different ride but the Decade is definetly the way to go! The new boots as so sick too. They actually have ankle support and a arch in the footbed, some of the best boots on the market by far!
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-13-2011, 12:38 AM Reply   
Sam,
I'm riding the Format setup and love it! It took me a few sets to get use to the different way it rides compared to the Vice (rode it for 5 years), but now I'm starting to get a good feeling for it.

The bindings are super solid and lock in your feet better then any binding I've used before. It took me a couple of sets to break them in but they are very soft on the landings and like Andy said, the added degree's canted angle help a lot. No gimmick!
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-13-2011, 7:55 AM Reply   
I just ordered the 2011 Decade w/ the Format CT boots... I cant wait to strap that thing on and go big

Is it hard to get the top strap tight on the Format Ct boots?
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-13-2011, 8:51 AM Reply   
Brett,
Not really. I normally like my boots really tight, and even though I can't get it as tight as normal with the strap, the j-bars lock in the heels so well that I don't get any movement in my bindings.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-13-2011, 10:18 AM Reply   
Ryan, I was told that the bindings were running small and to go up a size.. is that correct..
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-13-2011, 10:41 AM Reply   
Brett,
At first, I would agree that they felt small. It's taken me a few sets to break them in but I also like my bindings TIGHT. If you like your bindings a little loose, I would go up a size. The tightest feeling is across the top of the forefoot & the toebox but again, they're starting to break in so they're ending up being exactly how I like them.

I had to use socks for the past two years with the CT Vices for them to feel like a snug fit. But I don't have to now with the 2011's which is a nice change.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-13-2011, 10:42 AM Reply   
Also Brett, they feel tighter if you put them on dry. When they get wet, they have more stretch it seems. Just food for thought if you're trying them on dry in a store.
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-13-2011, 1:10 PM Reply   
Ryan, I ordered them from one of my dealers, so I have never tried them on or even seen them in person...
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-13-2011, 2:38 PM Reply   
Brett for what its worth, I had to go up a size. I have size 12 feet. Last few years I could ride 10-11's so they were super snug this year I had to jump up a size.
Old     (ryan_shima1)      Join Date: Sep 2002 Location: Layton, Utah       05-13-2011, 8:41 PM Reply   
Right on Brett! Did you go up a size or stay with your normal shoe size?
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       05-14-2011, 3:34 PM Reply   
I rode the Paradigm again last night that thing is just amazing SOOOOO much POP!
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       05-14-2011, 4:44 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
I generally ride an Obrien Cartel which is now the Cartel. My buddies all ride the Decade. I see on the obrien website that the 2011's look a little different.

Has anyone ridden the Format or new Decade? Is the Decade the same as years past?

Thanks!
Funny that you asked about the format board. cuz my brother just had a 137 Format come in on wednesday. he went out yesterday and today on it. from what i saw this morning he is really comfortable, loves it, and is getting bigger air on that than das decade. its a continuous board with less rocker than the natty and decade. 2.4 format vs 2.6 natty vs 2.63 decade. but i dont think you can really tell. comparing the outer edging to your CODA its very simmilar but with a little more rounded edge in the center than your coda, but no where near as rounded as the decade. im really impressed with the wood stringers going thru the board and the added flex it gives for butter soft landings. if you remember carls SS or my old SS its not as flexible as those. so i would say just the right amount of stiffness and flexibility. other than that you will need to ride with the fins in on it as it doesnt have any molded fins. i know its 445 AZ time and your at the lake right meow but next time i come out with ya maybe ill bring so you can see the shape or try it. be advised its a 137 though.
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-15-2011, 8:32 AM Reply   
I picked up a Paradigm yesterday (after I posted a thread about cable boards that no-one replied to! Well, OK, I had one response).

I took it out behind a boat, real short rope, stance about 3 pins too wide for me, and you could see my smile a mile away.

Honestly, never been able to get height like it........ My 3rd O'Brien board, the best by far. I've still got a Silence (yup, not a Science) and Cobe-signed Clutch. Might take a group photo when the sun is out again & post it

Last edited by timmo; 05-15-2011 at 8:34 AM.
Old     (timmo)      Join Date: Nov 2009       05-15-2011, 10:13 AM Reply   
Has this worked? Quite an evolution... the Blind Side bindings on the Silence are covered in dust & spiders webs, haven't worn them for years!! If anyone knows anything about the Silence let me know- I don't think it is an official O'Brien board. It's a Greg Nelson shape and must have been licensed out because there are other branded boards from the same mould (the DoubleUp Sirena is one). As you can see, it's worn well- I can't break it no matter what I try!
Attached Images

Old     (sean_obrien)      Join Date: Feb 2010       05-16-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
Glad to hear that you guys are liking the new product!!! I absolutely love what O'Brien has put out this year. The new bindings are so much better than any of the other bindings that I have ever worn. It's amazing how light, comfortable, and durable they are.

Andy and Tim: I can honestly say that riding the Paradigm is the most fun that I have ever had wakeboarding both behind the boat and on rails. I'm so glad to hear that you guys are enjoying it as well.
Old     (TBell)      Join Date: May 2011       05-18-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
The Paradigm is a beauty I've found so far. It's a really fun ride on the water with a great feel for pop. I currently use it with format boots because i like a stiffer boot, and the arch support in the new O'Brien boots is amazing. If you like the flex/hybrid flex board style, the Paradigm is a great board! I've heard that O'Brien is planning on coming out with two different hybrid flex style of boards next year, and are working on using molded in fins on them. Super stoked to see how that turns out
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       05-19-2011, 7:08 PM Reply   
I just got a Decade early this year and am completely in love. For me it is the perfect board.

I had been riding a friend's Slingshot for a while waiting for it to arrive and was a little worried about whether I'd like it as much. The Slingshot didn't even come close.

O'Brien owns!
Old    SamIngram            06-14-2011, 4:09 PM Reply   
Just thought I would post this to the fans of the Decade... you can get either a 134 or the 144 for $149.95 on Amazon or through http://www.wateroutfitters.com, just do a search...

Killer Deal!
Old     (hyperlite291)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-14-2011, 9:34 PM Reply   
_______

Last edited by hyperlite291; 06-14-2011 at 9:44 PM.
Old     (hyperlite291)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-14-2011, 9:46 PM Reply   
definitely thinking about making a switch over to obrien soon
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-14-2011, 11:25 PM Reply   
Board is a 2010 Valhalla 143. But the boots are the 2011 Obrien Format CT
[IMG]Format[/IMG]
Old    SamIngram            06-15-2011, 9:28 AM Reply   
Who the heck is going to ride that thing? Does it have crook fins? I could really cut my wrists on those...
Old     (Riteride)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-15-2011, 10:10 AM Reply   
Been riding the 2011 Decade with the Format CT boots and it has topped every other board I have ridden.. If you are thinking about a new board this is the one i would suggest... Also the boots are running small I was worried about going up a size but if I didnt they would not have fit so perfect and comfortably...
Old     (wakeandsnow27)      Join Date: Jun 2004       06-15-2011, 10:45 AM Reply   
Quote:
Just thought I would post this to the fans of the Decade... you can get either a 134 or the 144 for $149.95 on Amazon or through http://www.wateroutfitters.com, just do a search...

Killer Deal!
I can only find the 134. Maybe they sold out of the 144s?
Old    SamIngram            06-15-2011, 11:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeandsnow27 View Post
I can only find the 134. Maybe they sold out of the 144s?
Yes, they are sold out. I think I sold 7 yesterday for them...
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-15-2011, 10:29 PM Reply   
Quote:
Who the heck is going to ride that thing? Does it have crook fins? I could really cut my wrists on those...
Tabor rides that setup. he loves it! and no there arent any crook fins to slit your wrists on emo someday ill swipe it from him and you can give it a whirl
Old    SamIngram            06-16-2011, 3:33 PM Reply   
I'll probably put The System on my new decade.
Old     (durty_curt)      Join Date: Apr 2008       06-16-2011, 3:36 PM Reply   
Quote:
I'll probably put The System on my new decade.
You bought a decade?? You have the system bindings??? You had an extra pair of gloves this whole time?!?
Old    SamIngram            06-16-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
I haven't bought The System yet, but Brian let me ride with his and although they were drastically different than I am use to, I could get use to them.

Brian had them mounted on the Marek and all I can say is damn, that board pops like crazy! That board probably has the most pop of any board I have ridden and they somehow made it really fast too. It was to sticky for me though. I would venture that you would probably go higher than ever before if you tried the Marek. It was terrible in rough water though, definitely a winter board.

The System was strange because the bindings felt like they were only attached at the toes and heels.