Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-23-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
Just bought a new project boat. Its a 1996 Tige 2200V. Who's had one of these? I've heard they have pretty good wakes on them. This is my first Tige. It will be a little while till I can really tear it apart. Here's my list of projects

1. New black Ariel Assalt tower.
2. Needs upholstery throughout.
3. Needs carpet, also, this boat has a wood floor and is showing a little weather, will need some sanding and sealing.
4. Needs a ballast system.
5. Needs a stereo system, already bought some KTM6's.
6. Paint trailer,
7. Replace trailer coupler to get brakes working.
8. Steering cable is sticking, can this be lubricated or just replaced?
9. A good wax, polish etc.

I'll be working on it come March when the big snow storms are over so I have lots of time to plan my attack.
Old     (dh03r6)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-23-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
i have a 99 22I might be the same. lets see some pics.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-23-2009, 1:54 PM Reply   
Here's me screwing around with paint.

Boat Before
Upload
Remove Tower
Upload
Concept after
Upload

Interior Pics
Upload
Upload
Upload

Upload
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-23-2009, 1:57 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload

These were all pics from the seller.

By the way I picked it up for $8,500. Book on these seems pretty low, so not sure what the potential resale on these is, but if I love the wake I would fight to keep it.

Just a little more on this boat, it was a repo and full of crap when I picked it up. Really pretty funny stuff inside. Someone definately had fun with it. Here's a list of stuff I found inside.

Tons of beads, bear cans, cigars, condoms, chewing tobacco, perscription drugs, rap cd's, and a bunch of trash.

Time to bring her back to life.

Anyways, someone sure had some fun, I'll use it more for family stuff.

(Message edited by robandrus on December 23, 2009)
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-23-2009, 2:03 PM Reply   
fun looking project. that could be a nice boat for the money. It probably needs $4k in work. Could be a nice rig for $12.5k

Keep this post updated as you work on it. I have the Aerial Airborne towner (you actually drew an airborne, not an assault) and I like it very much. Looks nice and is very solid.
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       12-23-2009, 2:10 PM Reply   
Cool, looks like a sweet project! Cant wait to see as it progresses. Post this up on tigeowners.com, i'm sure those that post there but not here would love to see the project as well.
Old     (downfortheride)      Join Date: Jun 2005 Location: SLC, UT 5600'       12-23-2009, 2:22 PM Reply   
Rob ~~ That's funny when you say you'll fight to keep it, just like the 210 right LOL. Looks like a project right up your ally. Let me know when your ready to give her a go out on the water and we'll do this. Good luck and Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Old     (konaking)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-29-2009, 1:32 PM Reply   
quite a mark up ?

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=8846850&cat=&lpid=
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       12-29-2009, 9:32 PM Reply   
Rob, I have the 98 pre2200v... i believe it is the same exact hull.

I put an acme prop on it and a lot of weight...I actually have a very nice wake that can be tuned with the TAPS.

I put in PP myself and then started adding weight, more and more.

We usually have 3 or 4 in the boat with a full tank and 3000#'s.
I have found it likes a weight distribution of approx. 55% front to 45% rear, pretty standard for v-drives. I put 1600# in the bow and 1400# in the rear and belly. We ride at about 24 mph and '80 and it is nice. Not as steep as the pre-07 SANs, but not a smooth ramp like the xstar or vlx, somewhere in between.
I will look for some good pictures of the wake if I can find any.

let me know if I can help any way.... and I would replace the cable, it cost me $90 and it took 30 minutes to do it myself... pretty simple. In 3 years I have only had to replace the impellar, and the steering cable, plus I upgraded batteries and decided to have new swim step brackets manufactured because the crappy stock brackets kept breaking... horrible.
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-30-2009, 11:07 AM Reply   
John, Thats exactly what I was looking for. How did you hide that much weight in the bow? Which acme prop did you use? I'd love to know what you did with the platform brackets as the stock ones don't seem removable and a little bent. Pics would be sweet. Did the cable come from a local shop of did you order it online? Thanks a ton.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-30-2009, 12:39 PM Reply   
I have looked at the interior pics a few times. The more I look at it - the more I think that the vinyl could ALL be cleaned up and used rather than replaced. I would venture to guess that some 303 and some magic eraser would work wonders for the vinyl. The carpet could be replaced in gray to match better and you'd save a lot of cash. Such a fun looking project.
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       12-30-2009, 1:24 PM Reply   
I did a lot of work on an older tige' a few years ago. I replaced most of the electrical and polished it up. Came out pretty good.

http://www.wakeboatworld.com/features/pharis-tige
Old     (robandrus)      Join Date: Feb 2002       12-30-2009, 1:50 PM Reply   
Jeff, the pictures may not show it well enough, the back deck is dry and cracked, -the wood also needs to be replaced. There are a lot of micro tears in the seats and sided. The playpen seating was replaced recently so its not as bad. I'm not quite sure of the color scheme to use in the reupholstery, if I should go solid one color, or if there is another boat out there to imitate.

Steve, nice looking project.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       12-31-2009, 7:25 AM Reply   
Go with something clean and neutral. All white vinyl with gray piping and gray carpet.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-01-2010, 11:40 PM Reply   
Rob. I will get pictures for you hopefully this weekend to better explain what I have done.

I see by your pictures we have the same interior, the bow has the same lounge seats, and it looks like your floor has the same access door as mine.

so this is what i did...

Prop: Acme 514. 3 blade, 13x12 (I am sure there are OJ's and other props that would work as well or better) My unweighted top speed now is 40 mph, but I have a great hole-shot.

Bow: I put 8 - 50# lead blocks (in baking pans) in the very front of the bow under the cushions= 400#'s. I think you could fit 6 or so "pop products" bags which are only 40#'s each.

I put a 440# straightline bag under each lounge seat that can be filled almost to capacity, maybe only to 400#'s each. I connected both bags by pvc hose, the hose runs around the front of the bow under my lead blocks. I connected a 3 foot fill/empty hose to the bow bag on the port side that I can easily access. I can fill and empty both bags with the same pump. The starboard side bag needs to be lifted up to get all the water out and around the bow to the port bag. I place a 3rd 440 bag in the bow that is filled to capacity for a total bow weight of 1240 #'s. the lounge seats can still be used with this setup.

Rear: I have a total of 1400 #s of lead (pop products) in the rear and middle. I put approx 400 #s under the floor (the access door can be pulled out if you remove a few screws. There is about 3 inches of the panel under the rear seats, just remove the screws to the seats and the panel/door should be able to be pulled out.

I put about 600 of pop products in each rear locker, the batteries on the port side are very heavy kinetics, so i pulled out 3 bags from the port locker and keep them on the floor to move around to shape the wake. total rear/middle = 1400#.

I do not recommend having 1800#'s in lead in your boat all the time if you have to tow any length. I am a couple miles away from the dock. If I had to tow farther, I would try to go all water ballast in the rear with only a few hundred pounds of lead, like I did in the bow. However much you put, try to keep that 55-45% bow/stern ratio.

With that ACME prop, full ballast, full gas, and 4 people in the boat, it still planes very quickly, especially if I put the taps all the way down until i get up to speed, then put it back to 6 or 7.

"Perfect pass saved my marriage"... and my friendships. Truer words have not been spoken. I would go with a GPS system if you plan on riding mostly lakes. This will prevent you from having to go buy a $30 hole-saw and drill a 2" hole in your hull. If you are a river-only rider, then a paddle wheel setup is probably your best bet.

The steering is stiff, but I like it, it makes it easy to hold a straight line when I am pulling good riders. My cable snapped the first month I had the boat, I went through the dealer and got it delivered to my door for $90.

I will post pictures of my brackets. I had a friend fab up some aluminum brackets. The stock stainless brackets were held on by 3 "thru-transom" bolts each. I don't know if these are the same because mine were easily removable.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-02-2010, 6:31 PM Reply   
Correction!

ACME prop 515 is what I have. the 515 is a LH (left hand) prop, the 514 is the same prop in RH (right hand) applications.

My bad. I have pictures for you, I will try to resize them to be able to post here later, but if you can, send me your email address so I can send them all faster.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       01-03-2010, 1:58 PM Reply   
Upload
Upload
Upload

1. Left swimstep bracket. The step is teak that was rhino lined by a previous owner. Love teak but glad he did this to it. the bracket is "t-stock" in aluminum that was bent to 90 degrees, then he welded a triangle reinforcement plate. super solid now.

2. center 440 bag that I just leave. I have to fill this separately from the other 2 440's that are connected together. I could have connected all three together, and still might later, but I do not want to drill a 2" hole in the floor or seat bases. It would be nice cuz then I could fill and empty all 3 bags at the same time, hands free.

3. starboard side bow bag 440. put an orange lifevest at the rear of compartment to protect the heater hose. the fill hose is connected at the front of bag (cannot see in pic) and I have a vent tube that I run up along the cushion. this bag empties about 80%, then i have to lift the back of it to get it completely empty.

4. bow. 400 lbs of lead that i melted down from wheel weights i got from local tire shops. put them in baking pans, sprayed with platic-dip spray to seal. you can barely make out a small section of the pvc hose that connects the 2 bags. I used sprinkler connections, pvc primer and cement to connect/seal the hoses and vent tubes.
Upload