Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-01-2012, 10:55 PM Reply   
Ability to decide how tight the boots are cranked down inside the bindings is definitely something to take note of
3 Dimensions in connectivity too. binding to board (this of course everyone wants as tight as possible), boot in binding, foot in binding

AND that cover pic is just Bonkers. just noticed that there is a reflection of his knee in the board too. (click on the image to get a slightly larger view)
No other way to make "getting down on one knee" look better
Maur and Schwenne do it best

speaking of Schwenne, got to post up a vid of him putting the systems and the body's flexibility to its test

from WakeWorld on Vimeo.

ridiculously flexed out grabs and pokes like this is hard to imagine what the foot would look like inside a boot/binding with less give
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-02-2012, 10:18 AM Reply   
What you can see in that video of Mike is one of the different ways you can ride the System chassis. You look at a guy like Rusty and he has his high boots and everything is buttoned down tight. Then you see Schwenne ride and he doesn't even have laces on the top half of his boots. He's locked down, has great control but the entire top half is opened up for flexibility.
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-03-2012, 2:52 PM Reply   
So how is the durability of the systems? For those boat riders out there, how are your bindings and boots holding up after putting in some time? Thanks
Old    9Drozd            10-03-2012, 9:50 PM Reply   
Unless you walk around in them at the cable park. They are as durable as they come. If you ride boat only, It'll be a long time before you wear them out.
Old     (broke_folk)      Join Date: Sep 2010       10-04-2012, 6:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Drozd View Post
Unless you walk around in them at the cable park. They are as durable as they come. If you ride boat only, It'll be a long time before you wear them out.
This
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-04-2012, 11:51 AM Reply   
Thanks thomas. So the boots hold up, what about the bindings themselves? How do the hold up?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-04-2012, 1:30 PM Reply   
They've been pretty bomb proof for me. Some people I've heard have broken the ratchets or wore out the ladders, but I've not had that issue.
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-04-2012, 2:49 PM Reply   
Thanks Small Light,

Yeah I do a lot of weeklong riding trips and there would be nothing worse than being two days into a trip and have a ratchet or the whole binding break on me. What do you all recommend? Buying a second pair in case one breaks? Any ideas?
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       10-04-2012, 11:17 PM Reply   
Wonder why there has not been a womens model yet?
Old     (Hooya)      Join Date: Aug 2011       10-05-2012, 4:25 AM Reply   
Most companies like to drip feed new products. Usually to not to put all eggs in one basket. New products can fail to grab the consumer. Further, from a marketing point of view it works a treat. They will be able to bring out a "new" product for women one year and then maybe even children? Also I would expect the womens sales volume is pretty small compared to mens so make financial sense not to make them for women until they are established and costs are lower.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-05-2012, 8:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakerider111 View Post
Wonder why there has not been a womens model yet?
Demand and profitability make the choices for the manufacturers. How many women will 1. Need a System boot 2. Drop the $ needed and 3. Upgrade regularly?

$5 says the Hype girls will be riding the Process or AJ. If Hype was smart they would offer one of the existing boots in a smaller size than the smallest 7-8 size.
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-05-2012, 9:08 AM Reply   
Thanks Small Light for your help.

Yeah I do a lot of weeklong riding trips and there would be nothing worse than being two days into a trip and have a ratchet or the whole binding break on me. What do you all recommend? Buying a second pair in case one breaks? Any ideas?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-05-2012, 10:19 AM Reply   
Honestly if I were going on a vacation I would bring an extra couple ladders as well as ratchets. On a daily basis I have seen nothing that would warrant any extra concern. My '12s look like they did the day I bought em. But if you are in the sticks, better safe than sorry. On houseboat trips in the past (before I had Systems), I would bring at least two boards and bindings. That and duct tape.
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-05-2012, 11:34 AM Reply   
Gwake - I agree with stephan. I have had both the '11 and '12 versions of the bindings and they do not show any signs of wear or tear. I have had to replace one of the ladder straps on the heel strap one time on my '12s because of a really nasty edge catch from a big crash, and it only stripped one tooth out. I emailed Hyperlite and they sent me an entire set of 4 new ladder straps for free.

To confirm with stephan once again, if youre going out on a trip in the boon docks (or far away from a Hyperlite dealer) it would be best to be prepared with some extra ladders just in case $#!t happens. I have never had any trouble with the ratchets themselves or any other aspect of the system bindings or boots.

Also a friendly piece of advice, no matter which boots you go with, swap out the laces for shoe laces. I did this with my Murrays and they tie up quickly and they stay tight thru out my entire set every single time. I recommend this for all boots not just systems. This is just my preference though, as i hate having to re-tighten my boots from crappy lace lock mechanisms.
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-05-2012, 2:17 PM Reply   
Thanks Tom and Small Light for the advice.

Small Light, how do I buy ladders and rachets? I know you can get extra ladders, but how do you get extra rachets? And I always bring duct tape. Thanks

Tom, so if I hit up hyperlite they could hook it up with some extra ladders? Are they just the ladders or the whole toe strap piece? Good advice on the laces. I've seen rusty do that, I'll definately try it out, thanks for the heads up.
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-08-2012, 11:38 AM Reply   
Thanks Tom and Small Light for the advice.

Small Light, how do I buy ladders and rachets? I know you can get extra ladders, but how do you get extra rachets? And I always bring duct tape. Thanks

Tom, so if I hit up hyperlite they could hook it up with some extra ladders? Are they just the ladders or the whole toe strap piece? Good advice on the laces. I've seen rusty do that, I'll definately try it out, thanks for the heads up.
Old     (cj1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       10-08-2012, 12:12 PM Reply   
On the 2013 boots the drain holes on the process and aj boots look huge compared to the marek and webb boots. Has anyone ridden the process or aj boots on the cable and noticed if alot of dirt would get in the boot?
Old     (ntkamper)      Join Date: Sep 2007       10-08-2012, 2:09 PM Reply   
I ride the process boot on cable..The drain holes work great they definitely get all the water out right away. The boots themselves are great, I prefer a higher boot, the AJ and JD seem a little bit lower. The process boot will ride up most of your ankle. They can be laced up several ways, depending on what kind of feel your looking for. I keep the liner folded OUTWARDS and barely lace the top part of the boots. These things land softer than any boot ive riden before. definitely stoked on them
Old     (behindtheboat)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-08-2012, 3:39 PM Reply   
I don't seem to get this new desire for riders to tie their boots. Much prefer cinch type laces
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       10-09-2012, 9:35 AM Reply   
Thanks Tom and Small Light for the advice

how do I buy ladders and rachets? I know you can get extra ladders, but how do you get extra rachets? And I always bring duct tape. Thanks

so if I hit up hyperlite they could hook it up with some extra ladders? Are they just the ladders or the whole toe strap piece? Good advice on the laces. I've seen rusty do that, I'll definately try it out, thanks for the heads up.
Old     (volzalum)      Join Date: May 2009       10-09-2012, 4:31 PM Reply   
^^ how many times can this same post get put in this thread?
Old     (tom_paz)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-10-2012, 9:19 AM Reply   
Gwake -

Just email or call Hyperlite, they sent me the ladder for free. Just the ladders though, the new toes strap piece is sold separately as an upgrade if you got the '11s. If you get the '12/'13s you dont need the upgrade kit.

Also, you dont really need extra ratchets. Mine havent had any issues for the past 2 years. And as I said before, I only had to replace one ladder strap as a result of a really bad crash. They hold up really well. And the boots last too, Ive had more than one season on my boots and although they are softer than they were out of the box, they are still very supportive because of the binding straps. Every other boot I have ridden for more than a season has turned into mashed potatoes.

Adub - I prefer to tie the shoe laces so that they dont loosen up during my set. I have used just about every company's lace cinch, Hyperlites, Ronix, LF, you name it, and they all come loose during the set. I prefer to tie em once, and be done with it, but thats just me.
Old     (mtownrydr)      Join Date: Apr 2008       10-14-2012, 12:49 PM Reply   
Another system binding review complete! Had to try these because of my love for snowboarding. Let me just say I have been riding for about 7-8 seasons now and have ridden alot of different product. I have ridden open toe rubber bindings, the first closed toe 3ds, stiff boots (lf watson, ronix cell), low cut boots like ronix reliks, company vandalls, the list goes on. My initial impression when I received my 2012 marek boots and system bindings was WOW. Fit and finish was pretty impressive nothing cheesy at all. The fit of the boot is very low volume but ultra supportive. In the size 11 boot once you get all the binding adjustments set up they fit really good in the l/xl binding. Now after riding them yesterday I really have no idea why anyone could dislike this system. The amount of total control I felt def showed in my riding. I rode my buddys new slingshot lyman with the 2012 ronix one boots mounted to it and the was an obvious lack of responsiveness vs the ultra stiff marek boot and the systems with the lowback locked out. I noticed no real loss in mobility either. I know they are a little bit harder to get strapped in vs a normal binding but the whole concept of binding outside the boot just makes way more sense to me. I have not been more pumped on a product that has to do with wakeboarding since I bought my first set up. Good job hype I am sure the system will only get better.
Old     (jesutton)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-29-2012, 8:50 AM Reply   
Anyone know how to get the high backs to release on the System Pro? Got mine in this weekend and the high backs will wiggle a little but not pivot all the way like the Systems at the shop.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       10-30-2012, 7:59 AM Reply   
Not sure about the Pros, but with the regular Systems there is a packet that has all your hardware. In that plastic baggy there is different hardware that allows you to set up the binding in a way that allows the highback to fold. There is also a little "how to" booklet that explains the different ways they can be set up.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-02-2012, 8:05 AM Reply   
I was very impressed with my first time out on the AJ's with Sytem Pros. Very comfortable and stable. The board control with these things feels great. Thereseems to be very little toe or heel lift with these. I did not know what to expect and now I'm not sure I could go back to anything else.
Old     (jesutton)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-10-2012, 6:00 PM Reply   
Well after the first ride these things ride great. But I still can't figure out how to unlock the high backs. I can't even get the screws on the high backs out.

Any tips or suggestions?
Old     (HypeWar)      Join Date: May 2011       11-12-2012, 8:52 AM Reply   
Hey James, shoot me a PM.
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-19-2012, 3:08 PM Reply   
Great thread. Anyone else have any system bindings reviews? Thanks for all the input.
Old     (BrtnDan)      Join Date: Oct 2012       11-21-2012, 11:20 AM Reply   
I love 'em.

Merek boots.
Old     (tarek)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-21-2012, 11:58 AM Reply   
review: Just buy some god damn system boots and bindings already!!!!!!
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-21-2012, 2:15 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarek View Post
review: Just buy some god damn system boots and bindings already!!!!!!
Why such anger?^^^^ I'm sure GOD wants nothing to do with it!!!

It's all preference I'm sure, but they are a great product.
Old     (Anaru)      Join Date: Jan 2012       11-21-2012, 5:37 PM Reply   
I switched from 2012 LF vantage CT boots to 2013 AJ systems.
Mind isn't totally made up on them yet... They make the board very responsive but a little restrictive at the same time. I've only rode them 3 times so maybe once they soften up a bit and wear in I'll like them more.
Old     (boarder12)      Join Date: Mar 2011       11-21-2012, 6:46 PM Reply   
I worked with Mike at West Coast Camps and Maur is actually one of my best friends and their is a specific way you have to ride these bindings to get the flex out of them. When I ride I don't since my laces down at all and the ratchets are clicked down two to three notches on the top and fully synched at the bottom. This will give you the lateral movement that you need to add some serious style to any grab. Overall one of the best things hyperlite has ever invented! I have been riding the cobalt's for the last two seasons and haven't had any issues with breakdown. The only issue was I cracked the chassis doing a tantrum to blind after a season of wear and tear and I had the original bindings which were made of different materials and the ladders stripped out. The new materials are much more durable.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       12-05-2012, 9:38 AM Reply   
Orion thats my exact set up i have a cable board and a boat board each with its own binding and just one set of mareks, i like this set up so im not constantly changing boots out .. I love the boots at the cable park its easier for me to walk on rough terrain and swimming not that bad, no real advantage behind a boat but not bad at all..

I do have one issue and its the boot hardware, they contantly looosen up tat the string keeper as they dont stay locked and i hate the keeper on the side being soft leather, it needs to be harder plastic or go back to the magnet style lace keeper from 07 which were money. I am going to find better locks because im tired of reaching down while riding to retighten my upper ankle!!
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-06-2012, 5:50 PM Reply   
Bill, try shoe laces, they'll stay cinched, its what rusty and us hard core , advanced riders do. stop by your local juvi shoe store and get some laces with smiley faces
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-10-2013, 2:15 PM Reply   
I hope someone can help me out with this. How do you switch out the lacelock for the laces on the system boots while still preserving the lace lock? I'd prefer not to cut it in case I need it for the future.

Also where can I get different colored laces, same size and quality as the blue ones that come with the marek boots?

Thanks
Old     (gwake1989)      Join Date: Jun 2012       02-12-2013, 1:25 PM Reply   
Can anybody help me out on finding laces like the ones the marek boots come with but in a different color? They are shorter laces 36" seem waterproof or pretty heavy duty. Any ideas on where to find some in a color other than the 2013 marek bio blue? Thanks
Old     (chillinoj)      Join Date: May 2009       04-23-2013, 9:01 AM Reply   
This has been dead a while, so I'll bring it back up... haha

Has anybody used the system binding on a SS board? I have a shredtown for cable that I'd like to use these on.

Anybody have issues with using system bindings and the fast-trac on SS?

Everybody still liking there system bindings?
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-23-2013, 9:19 AM Reply   
I've used the System on my Hyperlite Union, it has the fast track as well. No issues whatsoever.

Definitely liking my Systems, really happy with the new Process boot. Most comfortable boot I've ever had and way better than last years JD for me.
Old     (broke_folk)      Join Date: Sep 2010       04-23-2013, 9:59 AM Reply   
My BIL has a pair on his SS Kine and he likes them and having no problems of the bindings of sliding. Just make sure you check your hardware before your set.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       04-24-2013, 7:53 AM Reply   
i demoed a marek with the fast TRACK AND MADE SURE THE BINDING WAS REALLY TIGHT AND AFTER THE 2ND USE I REALIZED THE BINDING SLID AS WELL.. not sure if you are supposed to recheck them after every use and tighten them but if thats the case it would be something i wouldnt like. i realize you need to check bindings before each new session/day outing but after every set would be a mental thing i wouldnt like for sure as i would worry about them sliding would be mental thing that could make me have no confidence in the product....IMO
Old     (MattAlz33)      Join Date: Jun 2011       04-24-2013, 12:20 PM Reply   
I have the Murray Nova with the strata and I don't check how tight my screws are any more frequently than I do with my other/previous boards.
Old     (snork)      Join Date: Jun 2007       04-24-2013, 12:53 PM Reply   
I removed 1/8" from the mounting screws because the screw would bottom-out on the bottom of the rail not allowing the guide to firmly grip the strata track, problem solve, I never needed to have retighten screws again
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-24-2013, 2:30 PM Reply   
Yeah if you are using a fast track with the System bindings you have to use the second set of hardware that comes with the bindings. Using the standard hardware will lead to issues.