Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (steves1967)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-21-2014, 8:38 PM Reply   
Looking at a new 12" sub for my boat. 12" Kicker Solo-Baric L7 or the JL Audio 12W6-v3? I had JL's in my car and they sounded really good, stereo shop in town is pushing the solo-baric on me. Says they are very similar to the JL... But he doesn't have any hooked up in the showroom.

Any thoughts?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       08-21-2014, 11:01 PM Reply   
It depends on what music you listen to, space, power you will be putting to it. Just a bunch of variables. If you like a Musical sub that will still pound the W6 is for you. If you like a sub that will hammer but lack in some of the musicality the L7 is for you. I have two L7 12's under my dash and they pound!

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408687302.487828.jpg
Views: 1966
Size:  50.2 KB
Old     (bryce2320)      Join Date: May 2012       08-22-2014, 5:12 AM Reply   
I agree. I've had both subs in my vehicle, and L7s are ridiculously loud with the right bow and power. They don't have the same SQ as the jl w6 or w7 IMO. But in a boat, I'd run the L7 all day.
Old     (DavidAnalog)      Join Date: Sep 2013       08-22-2014, 7:24 AM Reply   
Two completely different woofers with completely different objectives.
The JL is an exercise in balance and precision. It's linear, fast, low distortion, deep, and does these things with minimum moving mass. Great musicality and it will hammer.
The Kicker is pushing around a lot of moving mass with more of a single-minded focus. It's an absolute jack hammer but not very articulate.
Old     (timmyb)      Join Date: Apr 2007       08-22-2014, 9:40 AM Reply   
I have a 12" L7 with the KX1200 running it and it absolutely slams but as other's point out, it's not the same SQ as the JL. Do you want boat shaking bass(L7) or do you want a sub that hits hard on the dub step but also adds some deep tones to country (W6)? I personally like the rip your head off bass but on some songs, you can tell that it's not the best choice of sub for that particular song.
Old     (steves1967)      Join Date: Oct 2006       08-22-2014, 10:23 PM Reply   
Thanks guys! Sounds like the W6 is what I'm after, I usually have the family with me when I'm out and I don't need the kids going deaf quite yet.. I'm going to power it with an Arc Audio KS1200.1- gotta measure tomorrow- maybe two W6's will fit under the helm!!