Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hilljroberts)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-13-2016, 6:27 PM Reply   
Hi, I've been lurking on this forum for about a month, thanks for all of your insight!

I'm about to buy a used inboard. This will be my second boat, first inboard. I'm fairly handy, and have a stepson corvette mechanic, so engine work comes somewhat cheap for me. I intend to use the boat for intermediate wakeboarding, wakesurfing, and tubing for the little kid. I was leaning towards the '05 wakesetter as its the newer hull/tower style so would probably hold value/look newer the longest. But the rental aspect scares me a little obviously, Im sure it has been beat on, but it doesn't look like it. Also the Wakesetter has had a bunch of parts replaced in the last few years, so there's a lot of newer components. The 2003 Nautique looks practically new, but the saltwater comment scares me there. I surf goofy footed, so i read the nautique would be good for that, prop rotation.

I'm trying to avoid wood in the boat. I had to have someone replace the wood in my first boat (stringers and floor) i'd hate to have to do it again, i read the Tige would still have wood. My goal is to get 10 years out of the boat and then possibly retire to a cabin cruiser lol....

I've been searching for a month or longer. If you were me, what would you choose? The boats are all in the same price range... The other option would be to wait till spring and see what comes up then, though I thought i'd get a better deal now.

2003 Air Nautique 226 LE
150 Hours of use
Excellent cosmetic condition
Wake Tower/Stereo
Ballast
Perfect Pass
V-drive Walkthrough Transom
New bottom paint
"Minor Salt/Brackish water use"
Out of state Dealer (I have to pay sales tax twice then claim one back on my taxes)

2005 Malibu Wakesetter VLX 22'
4 Ballast tanks (including optional bow tank)
Perfect Pass needs repair
Illusion X Wake Tower/Stereo
Bimini
Near Excellent cosmetic condition
1700 hours on hull, Engine replaced 2 years ago 500 hr on current engine
Used as rental for last 6 years, rental company second owner
Vdrive full transom/pad
Out of state Dealer (I have to pay sales tax twice then claim one back on my taxes)

2004 Malibu Wakesetter VLX 22'
3 Ballast tanks
Perfect Pass
Wet Sounds Stereo
Hull has 600 hours, 2nd engine has 60 hours
Very good cosmetic condition
Vdrive full transom/pad
Private seller so sales tax is easier

2003 Tige 22V Riders Edition
TAPS
Wake Tower / Stereo
BImini
Perfect Pass
Very good cosmetic condition
Vdrive full transom/pad
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-13-2016, 6:38 PM Reply   
I would go with the Tige .It will be able to produce the best surf wake out of the ones you have listed. Fairly certain no wood in 03
Old     (padgett)      Join Date: Sep 2013       10-13-2016, 6:48 PM Reply   
Id go with the 2004 Malibu. Much nicer boat than The tiges listed. Plus has nice stereo. I don't see the tige producing a better surf wave. Especially if you add some weight
Old     (hilljroberts)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-13-2016, 6:58 PM Reply   
Thanks for the replies so far. The '03 Tige unfortunately has wood stringers (not sure on floor). According to my research they didn't stop using wood until the '04s. They offered a lifetime warranty for the '03 but only to the original purchaser it was non-transferable.
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       10-13-2016, 7:19 PM Reply   
I personally would take wood stringers over a salt water boat. Have you considered buying out of state and having it shipped?? Lot's of better options out there.what is the budget??
Old     (hilljroberts)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-13-2016, 7:21 PM Reply   
I'd like to keep it at 25k or less..... So budget is certainly limiting options... All of these boats are out of state.... As long as its east of the missisippi i'll go haul it home.

Last edited by hilljroberts; 10-13-2016 at 7:26 PM.
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-13-2016, 7:27 PM Reply   
Malibus from that era can't compete with the Tige for surfing. The 22V hull still holds up today as a great surf hull. You should also be looking at Enzo's a and C4 hull Avalanches.

If you primarily want to wakeboard then I'd go with the 'Bu. However, it seems like almost everyone's primary use of a boat these days is surfing.
Old     (Stazi)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-14-2016, 9:00 AM Reply   
2006 LSV For Sale - Under 100hrs - Ready to go! $26,500
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t
Old     (boardOK)      Join Date: Apr 2010       10-14-2016, 3:25 PM Reply   
http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/boa/5812326377.html

2003 SAN

I know it's on the wrong side of the river though.
Old     (tyler97217)      Join Date: Aug 2004       10-14-2016, 4:38 PM Reply   
Not sure about that sales tax and claiming it back. I would think each state will want their own. Meet them at your border and only pay your own sales tax. Can ship this to you from Oregon and only pay your own sales tax. I will help pay shipping if you are interested. Some of those high hour, multiple motors, and rental boats would be scaring me...

http://www.onlyinboards.com/2005-Cen...gon-60830.aspx
Old     (echo)      Join Date: Apr 2013       10-14-2016, 6:04 PM Reply   
That 03 SAN is clean.
Old     (hilljroberts)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-19-2016, 2:09 PM Reply   
Thank you for all the feedback....

I have another option as well...

2006 Centurion Lightning C4
under 350 hours on hull, with a new replaced engine
Perfect Pass GPS
Tower/Wakeboard Racks/Speakers
Stock Ballast
FAE

I can't find out how the Centurion Lightnings surf.... Only avalanches. Any experience with lightnings of the 2006 hull design?
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-19-2016, 2:24 PM Reply   
The Avalanche is slightly longer. Other than that the hull is pretty much the same. It's a good hull too. Plenty of guys are making great waves with it. It's also a good wakeboard boat. Make sure it's a C4. C4's do not have the walkthrough on the rear lockers.

Check out Centurioncrew.com for more info on how they can be set up for surfing.
Old     (hilljroberts)      Join Date: Oct 2016       10-19-2016, 7:19 PM Reply   
Yeah it's a c4. Full su nomad with wraparound seating.

I live on Lake Ontario, this boat would be primarily used in the local bay. It gets solid boat chop due to traffic but not the rollers that occur on Lake Ontario. On calm days I would like to use it on Lake Ontario though. Is the v hull of centurion THAT much better than a Malibu?
Old     (Shakarocks)      Join Date: Mar 2013       10-20-2016, 1:06 PM Reply   
In chop? Absolutely.