Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (ACheck)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-03-2016, 1:40 PM Reply   
I know there have been several discussions about the performance of the G23s, but we are looking to buy a used 2015 G23 with the 409 and 2:1 transmission. I have not been able to find really solid info after searching through threads for over an hour. The owner claims there are no issues getting on plane when fully ballasted. Can anyone send some links to threads, or give actual experiences with the 409?

What we want is to wakeboard and surf, 60:40 high level wakeboarding / mid level surfing. Here is how we use our boat:

Wakeboarding with stock G23 ballast full, and up to 10 passengers.

Surfing regular, rarely goofy, throwing 360s and small airs.

Thank you for your useful input, please do not recommend other boats as we have considered them all and I have a very good idea of whats out there after riding different boats for almost 10 years.
Old     (kx250frider617)      Join Date: Aug 2013       10-03-2016, 4:24 PM Reply   
I've been in a 17' g23 with the H6 I believe, same tranny. We boarded with factory ballast full, 750 bags in the rear lockers, and around 1000 in the front. It definitely took awhile to get to speed, but nothing too crazy. I'm not sure how comparable the H6 is to the 409 though. The boat also had the standard 17" prop or whatever comes standard.
I feel you wouldn't have a problem with the 409. The transmission and big prob is what will make that engine useable.
Old     (ACheck)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-03-2016, 7:14 PM Reply   
I believe the H6 is rated at 450HP and 465 ft/lb, which is significantly more than the 409. Is there anyone with a re-propped 2:1 tranny with the 409 who could provide some insight?
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-03-2016, 11:32 PM Reply   
I have a 2015 G23 with 409. We've had the boat packed with people and full ballast and no big deal getting on plane. Takes a bit more, but not bad at all. This is at sea level though, if you are at higher elevations then it will be different.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-04-2016, 5:33 AM Reply   
We ride a friends 2013 regularly without the 2:1, if propped correctly and using the factory load and sacs if you choose, but I wouldn't if you really have a crowd, with a nice crowd and the boat is unbelievable and any under performance is solved by the 2:1 with correct prop.. When it's empty of people but full ballast it's still pretty good for wakeboarding and good to very good when surfing as well. I simply move my front foot further forward to compensate for the less push with no people but full stock with no sacs. The wave has little or no flaws, and with the ten people or more, the surf wave is redonkulous. Love driving it, love surfing it, great big party boat, insulate your coolers with foam. Also those with 2:1 and that motor are claiming very good fuel consumption as well at least 16/17' that I heard at sea level
Old     (Fixable)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-04-2016, 5:56 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by granddaddy53 View Post
We ride a friends 2013 regularly without the 2:1, if propped correctly and using the factory load and sacs if you choose, but I wouldn't if you really have a crowd, with a nice crowd and the boat is unbelievable and any under performance is solved by the 2:1 with correct prop.. When it's empty of people but full ballast it's still pretty good for wakeboarding and good to very good when surfing as well. I simply move my front foot further forward to compensate for the less push with no people but full stock with no sacs. The wave has little or no flaws, and with the ten people or more, the surf wave is redonkulous. Love driving it, love surfing it, great big party boat, insulate your coolers with foam. Also those with 2:1 and that motor are claiming very good fuel consumption as well at least 16/17' that I heard at sea level
^What he said

A 2013 doesn't have the 2:1...... it is a 1.5:1. I also have a friend with a 2013 409/1.5:1, and it has 0 trouble with surfing heavily loaded (stock plus 2000+ additional + 10+ people). However, it does struggle to wakeboard speed with much of anything above stock ballast and a few people.

After 3 years of running with the stock prop, he swapped, and it is much quicker to plane. On the stock prop, it never got stuck off plane, but it was definitely slow with big loads. Now it doesn't struggle much at all.

With all of that said, I owned a 2014 G with a 409 and 2:1, and the gearbox makes all the difference in the world. That boat had absolutely no problem jumping up on plane with the 409, even with 2-3k extra ballast. I wouldn't hesitate at all to own a 409 G, as long as it has a 2:1 and 17x17 prop....
Old     (ACheck)      Join Date: Apr 2016       10-04-2016, 8:12 AM Reply   
Thank you for the input guys, good to know the 409 is still okay in the G. Hopefully I'll be able to report back that we got the G if/when our current Centurion sells
Old     (beg4wake)      Join Date: Aug 2012       10-10-2016, 12:41 PM Reply   
I will be 100% honest with you, the 409 will struggle a little to get on plane with 100% ballast and 10+ people on board. I know from experience. It WILL get there, but it takes a solid 10-15 seconds longer than my '16 with the H6. That may not sound very long, but trust me, it's seems like forever when you're behind the wheel. IMO, if you think 60% of the hours being put on the boat will be at 100% ballast @ 23+mph with more than 5-6 people, then I would DEF be looking around a little more for a used G with at least the 450. It will also be less stress on the motor and tranny which will save you wear and tear and some GPH's of fuel.
Old     (granddaddy53)      Join Date: Dec 2013       10-12-2016, 10:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by beg4wake View Post
I will be 100% honest with you, the 409 will struggle a little to get on plane with 100% ballast and 10+ people on board. I know from experience. It WILL get there, but it takes a solid 10-15 seconds longer than my '16 with the H6. That may not sound very long, but trust me, it's seems like forever when you're behind the wheel. IMO, if you think 60% of the hours being put on the boat will be at 100% ballast @ 23+mph with more than 5-6 people, then I would DEF be looking around a little more for a used G with at least the 450. It will also be less stress on the motor and tranny which will save you wear and tear and some GPH's of fuel.

Sounds like your talking about a 2013 or 2014 with old gear ratio like the one I ride. The wear and tear should be minimal with 2:1 and big prop
Old     (scottb7)      Join Date: Oct 2012       10-12-2016, 5:01 PM Reply   
only the 2013 had the old gear ratio, 2014 forward had 2:1 gear ratio, which is the updated. i have no doubt 409 would be tough with a lot of ballast and lots of people. i personally would get a g21 or g23 with a 409, but i usually don't have too many people in the boat at same time.

Last edited by scottb7; 10-12-2016 at 5:04 PM.