Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-17-2015, 9:58 AM Reply   
I have been waiting for about 11 years to go to Florida and ride at a camp. FINALLY, This coming week myself and my kids (6 & 9) will be spending 4 days at freedom Wake Park with Cobe & Tarah Mikacich. We are totally stoked. It will be our first time riding a cable too.

From people who have been to camps in Florida or live in Florida, any advice to make this trip the trip of a lifetime would be appreciated. Whether it be sites to check out in the evenings, restaurants or just tips from people who have been to a camp. We live up in Canada so it will be our first time riding in 2015 & I expect to be rusty and very sore! after day 1. At 38, the falls hurt more so I will have a good supply of Aleave with me.

Our lakes still have ice on them but I'm hoping they will be ice free by the time we get home. I will make sure to post a full review when we get back as well.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       04-17-2015, 11:14 AM Reply   
Make sure you've boned up on "the basics" before you go.... otherwise they'll have you working on those.

example - if you want to learn a crow mobe, you better be able to show you can do a TS wake jump, front roll, TS FS 360. Otherwise they'll teach you those first... and it sucks to paying for things you can learn at home.

Don't be nervous or intimidated, every coach I've worked with has been super helpful and great at dumbing things down for me. The biggest problem is being gunshy of a new boat / new crowd watching you.

Most importantly, HAVE FUN!!!!! It can get stressful and frustrating to learn new tricks.... keep fun as the #1
Old     (SteeleAxis)      Join Date: Oct 2012       04-17-2015, 11:44 AM Reply   
We just had a trip to Orlando and it was awesome! I will say you are in for the time of your life with Cobe and Tarah....really cool people and great coaches. We had the pleasure of hanging with them a bit at the Malibu Qualifier they had at FWP, and my Wife was part of the clinic that Tarah did with Amber Wing and Dallas Friday, so we are super pumped to book some time later this year to attend their camp.

As for places to see...we only went to wakeboard so didn't see any sites. If you're looking for some geeky cool wake-related stuff, here's a few things we did while we were there:

- Yellow Dog Eats...screaming pulled pork and other great food, and somewhat of a local hangout for wake scene. Erik Ruck from Ronix plays there on Thursday nights (double-check that, but think it is pretty regular)...really cool musician and rider, and a lot of the local pros seem to come out for his show.

- OWC...can't go to Orlando without checking that place out. If you have extra time beyond the camp at Freedom, you can do a set with Shaun Murray. Pricey, but a pretty awesome experience.

- Nautique factory...just down the road, and pretty cool to see how the G and other boats of theirs are made. You have to call to schedule appointment for tour.
Old     (501s)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-18-2015, 2:23 PM Reply   
Awesome, thanks for the tips guys. I appreciate them all.

My kids love pulled pork as do I, so we just might have to check out Yellow Dog Eats.

I'm not going into it with too high of hopes, other than to have fun and soak it all in.

Cheers guys. Only 2 more days.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       04-20-2015, 7:03 AM Reply   
Agree Nick is right. I went to the Boarding School a few years back dont be intimidated at all. All these guys are just like your buddy that lives next door. Down to earth and will get just as excited for you going wake to wake or doing your first 180 as they would someone doing their first cromobe. Anything you can do to get in better shape and stretched out do so. Volunteer to be first in the water often thats the best water of the day go get your glass!!! If your not exhausted this place is awesome

https://orlando.iflyworld.com/?gclid..._lyRoC6uvw_wcB
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-20-2015, 8:33 AM Reply   
although it's been quite a long time ago since I went to the wakeboard School it was a lot of fun. The one thing I can remember for sure is how sore I was after a couple days in and the trip altogether. I was trying back rolls and besides breaking my board I had a bruise across my whole lower back and about 10" high.lol. But, it was a all body soreness as well. Ton of fun but pace yourself. I couldn't imagine trying to do it now (35) without ramping up my cardio and riding. Heck you'll be dealing with the forearm burn if it's your first time out for the season. Regardless enjoy your trip.