Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       07-31-2014, 7:01 PM Reply   
I am in the design phase of upgrading my deck at the lake house. In order to get through the architectural drawing phase I need to select a hot tub sooner rather than later.

I know NOTHING about Hot Tubs - I am not sure where to start. Seems like there is all kinds of models and series and they all look alike.

Anyone have any guidance for me on what to look for or stay away from?

I also know nothing about outdoor BBQ options. Any brands I should be focused on?

I am at the beginning of my research - yes I know how to use google - just thought I would see if you guys could point me in the right direction to start my research.

Here is what the decks will look like......
Attached Images

Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       08-01-2014, 11:43 AM Reply   
Looks freakin AWESOME J!
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       08-01-2014, 2:21 PM Reply   
Super Jelly right now ! Whens the new deck release party !?LOL
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-04-2014, 8:35 AM Reply   
Yo fatty,

Few things I have learned and would have input on. On the hot tub- Just grab the biggest/heaviest one you see and design the deck for that, than you can always back it down when you go to buy it. You can not go the other way. I found after having several, that we preferred the ones without the seats and all the pre-forms inside. We like a basic wide open one. Works for adults and kids. When you figure weight make sure to include, hot tub, water, AND the cover/holder as those damn things are heavy.

On the BBQ option - I have 5 grilles/smokers/BBQs at this point. I pretty much have gotten to where I only use the Traeger. For the value you can cook great food every single time and you do not need to be an expert BBQ pit master. If not, than set it up for gas/propane, whatever is at the house, this way you are never worried about forgetting a tank on the way to the lake.

Would always stir you towards costco for most things like this just based on their warranties and customer service.

What about retractable awing for top deck over hot tub? Than when it is roasting hot, you can create shade (especially if kids are in it) and when it's not that you can pull back. I threw some christmas lights in mine has a cool effect when raining and sitting in tub.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-04-2014, 9:20 AM Reply   
I was thinking the same thing as Jason. Most tubs are a square 90X90 but others are a rectangle 130 or so by 90 so if your built a stand for the larger 130x130 and the weight to hold it you would be good to go. And then when you picked a tub you could simply make a trim ring of sorts that would give it that "exact fit" look, that way god forbid you had to swap it out you could simply make a new trim ring.

As far as BBQs go. IMO you can spend thousands and still not get a much better BBQ then a Weber. If it was up to me I would get a Weber Summit series (the built in one) and call it a day. The 5k dollar Viking BBQ we have at the family house cooks no better then my $500 weber.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-04-2014, 11:33 AM Reply   
Thank you for the input guys and the compliments. I think the planning for the biggest and heaviest is a great idea. Grant and I are going to go check out some tubs and see what we need to plan for.

Buff - I have always wanted a smoker. I am going to research the Traeger - sounds like it might enable me to do both a gas grill and a smoker? I thought it would be great to have a built in smoker on this deck. I clearly have the room. We are planning on a retractable awning over the hot tub. We haven't even gotten to the lighting part yet lol.

To the rest of the Wakeworlders out there - if you have any advice for me I would love to hear it from the type of flooring, misters, wiring, heaters, firepit, rails, lighting, speakers, televisions, fans, etc. I want to do it right the first time, Thanks.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-05-2014, 9:41 AM Reply   
Jason: I would recommend not going with a Glass rail system. My recommendation would instead to go with a Stainless Steel wire system. ( I will post a pic) they are vertically maint free and will not obstruct your view as much as traditional rail systems.

The 2 reasons I would advise against the glass. Is #1 keeping it clean #2 air flow. In the summer months your going to want the breeze to not be blocked via the glass rail system.

You should see if they can scoot the tup all the way to the edge of the deck and butt it up against the Stainless Steel gains rails it would give you a infante edge pool effect while still giving you the saftey of a hand rail. Here is a pic of the wire Hand rails talking about
Attached Images

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-05-2014, 10:23 AM Reply   
I love the idea of those rails. I think you are spot on.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       08-05-2014, 11:04 AM Reply   
misters: now on this subject I'm no expert. We Did one system at the Family house and what I found is you need or should have Zones. And a high pressure pump and water filter for each zone. That way you can have the Misters on in one location and Not in others so people that feel the need can turn them on and off. Also I have found that a good high pressure pump can push about 15 heads and then the water or mist starts getting thicker (more wet) no bueno! What you want is a fog. The less heads per zone and high pressure make for a real fine most and that's what you want.

Each zone should have Pump Filter and a drain so that at the end of the season you can drain the pipes to avoid freeze damage. Our system is left ON all summer and you simply flip a 110 switch and it turns on the pump and opens a 12volt irrigation valve and let's water start to flow. So if you do have or get a cracked pipe your not gonna have a UN expected water flow.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-05-2014, 1:18 PM Reply   
Talked to the architect - I have 11' or 132" to work with where the hot tub is. Might make it tough for a 130"x130" square.
Old     (brett33)      Join Date: Apr 2011       08-05-2014, 2:11 PM Reply   
X2 on the stainless wire rails. Went to a buddy's lake house last weekend that had his porch done like that. Everyone loved it. Sleek looking, low maintenance, and it really does open up the view. Which IMO on a lake house back porch that is the most important thing.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       08-06-2014, 8:07 AM Reply   
G- I agree on the stainless over the glass and the misters as well. Also Lighting for BBQ. I know many have lights in them, but if it is pitch dark and you are trying to keep an eye on the BBQ those little lights will not be sufficient.
Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       08-06-2014, 8:24 AM Reply   
The layout looks great. One thought with respect to horizontal rails - if you have young children, or your friends do, they may not be the best option.
Old     (TomH)      Join Date: Jan 2014       08-06-2014, 10:09 AM Reply   
Agree with Eric, those wire rails look great, but are essentially a ladder for young kids. We have an uncle with similar railing, and the first thing the kids do is try to climb the railing.
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       08-06-2014, 11:39 AM Reply   
lots of weight on that second floor. my tub hold almost 400 gallons, close to 4000 lbs including the tub...

do an outdoor kitchen. take a gas BBQ pit and build counter space, sinks, etc around it.

looks like a great spot to chill!!

Last edited by denverd1; 08-06-2014 at 11:44 AM.
Old     (alindquist)      Join Date: Mar 2004       08-07-2014, 5:24 AM Reply   
Avoid the Curved glass, it is stupid expensive and a pain in the butt, if you can even find someone to do it... I own a railing company and based on the few times I have bid them your looking at a minimum of $300-$400 a foot for the curved glass.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       08-11-2014, 10:32 AM Reply   
Great advice Aaron - i didn't even think about that. I dug into my CCR's this weekend - looks like I am screwed and have to comply with their railing. It blows.

I also went hot tub shopping - pretty consistent feedback - Sundance is the way to go. Downside is they don't deliver or service in my area. Need to figure that out. It seems most square tubs are between 75-90" and 90" is a big a*s tub. I think if we get a square 90"x90" that will hold 5500 lbs we should be good for the long term. It seems the tubs dimensions haven't changed a lot over the last 10 years. At least I have enough to get the design going.

The more time I invest in this deck the more complicated it gets - love the counter space and cupboards for the outside - even considering a dish washer and full sink/disposal. I am gonna go broke on this deck. Luckily we are going to take it one step at a time and just make sure we design it right for all upgrades and additions that may or may not come later. I appreciate everyones help.
Old    dbrayton1            08-11-2014, 11:42 AM Reply   
Regarding grills, if you want to grill and smoke from one unit, consider a kamado (egg). Alternatively, The Good One makes a nice offset smoker that can be built in. You can use the fire box portion to grill. I stopped using gas a few years ago and use either my jumbo xl Kamado Joe or my Good One Open Range for everything. It's a little more work but all the guests really appreciate it😜