Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 23, 2005

Old     (getssum)      Join Date: Jul 2005       07-15-2005, 11:42 AM Reply   
Hi All,

Just thinking of making a tower box for some of the old equipment that I have laying around, namely a pair of Image Dynamics Horn Loaded Compression Drivers and a pair of the IDQ 8 mid bass.

Any one had any experiences with this?

Sound Illusions?

any help would be great!}
Old     (retrofridge)      Join Date: May 2005       07-17-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
Sounds like that is a great combo. What are you going to use for a crossover?
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       07-17-2005, 9:50 PM Reply   
Judes box isnt finished, So I can tell you how the HCLD's worked out. Jude is using Crossfire HCLD's. Ill let you know how it sounds when it finished in 5 years LOL

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-17-2005, 10:10 PM Reply   
I am using HLCDs in my tower speakers and I worked on the crossovers and attenuation circuits off and on for about 2 months. They sound pretty good but from a time value standpoint they were a very poor investment.
Old     (tmorefi)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-18-2005, 6:52 AM Reply   
Mike, what HLCD's did you go with? I thought when I saw you out at union a month or so ago you had the 4 cans up there but no HLCD's?
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-18-2005, 8:05 AM Reply   
I followed Duane's NVS prototype recipe that he and his prototype-part-supplier Bryan Sunda posted a couple years ago:
http://http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/65921/79257.html
and made my own tower speaker system. Basically a ghetto version of a single NVS 1010, but in 3 separate enclosures. I finally tested it on Saturday and LOVE it. Lots of volume and mid-bass to the rider.

Read through that classic thread on HLCD's. I just called up Bryan Sunda at the number listed in that thread and ordered all my stuff. (2) Beta10's, (1) PSD2002-8, (1) LT-250, a 2.5MHz crossover, and a variable L-PAD attenuation circuit. The L-PAD simply adjusts the mix of the HLCD with the Beta10's. I mounted the L-PAD in the back of the HLCD box so the knob is on the back and easy to adjust the high's up or down to where you like it.

It is wired up as a single 4-ohm load, which is powered by a Hifonics ZX6000 bridged to 800W RMS. I made 3 baltic birch boxes, sealed them with silicone, and sprayed the outside with spray-on bed liner. They use the Polk Audio grilles and Raul's clamps. Still room for the bimini.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-18-2005, 9:02 PM Reply   
I have the coaxially mounted HLCDs that mount behind the bass driver and shoot through the voice coil, Eminence.
Old    alanp            07-19-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
flsurf how about some pics? sounds cool and like a pretty decent diy project.
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-19-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
Yeah, I'm mad at myself for not taking pics Saturday. I'll post some as soon as I can take them. My problem is since they are heavy (about 50 lbs with all 3 enclosures mounted) I can't put my tower up by myself now unless I take the speakers off. But then I can't mount the speakers by myself either with the tower up. Hopefully I'll be out again this weekend and can take some pics.

I'm still looking for a way to make or buy inexpensive lighter 10" enclosures and am open to suggestions. I haven't been able to find any 10" PVC or sonotube. Quick-release clamps would also make life easier. The weight is no problem while riding, I just don't want to trailer with it and it is a pain to put the tower up and down. I'm sure most people with heavy tower systems have this problem.
Old     (flsurflover)      Join Date: Aug 2003       07-19-2005, 11:57 AM Reply   
Here is a wiring diagram I drew up and confirmed with Bryan Sunda. All credit goes to Duane at NVS:
http://www.nvs1.net
and Bryan Sunda at Orange County Speaker Repair:
www.speakerrepair.com
for first posting the ideas.

Hopefully it will help some of you other DIY'ers.

Old    mia            07-19-2005, 8:10 PM Reply   
eric,

you may want to run 2-8" idq drivers per side(btw, awesome drivers- to bad they dont make them anymore)... the horn can overpower a single 8" pretty easily...