Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (randalbrown)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-15-2014, 6:19 AM Reply   
So I live 2 minutes from Lake Ontario in Toronto. I would like to surf and do a little wake boarding. Alternatives to lake ontario that would be smaller and calmer are over 1-2 hours away and I can't convince the significant other to drive that far for a couple hour session.

In 5 years or so we will likely get a cottage but for the next five years I'd like to get a boat to enjoy and get close to paying it off.

Lake Ontario can be rough, its a big lake, that being said the summers can be calm in terms of wind, and to surf I'm not looking for glass. Also living so close, I should be able to get out for an hour or two after work or on weekend mornings should conditions permit.

I'm considering boats like an A24, MB tomcat 22, tige z1/3 depending on what works in our price point at the time.

Would it be a complete waste to have a boat like these on such a big lake, or should I just save up and pick up the boat once we have a cottage? Looking for opinions from anyone who might have kept a boat on similar lakes.
Old     (derek_h)      Join Date: Oct 2004       07-15-2014, 7:16 AM Reply   
I don't know anyone that surfs or boards on Lake Ontario. There are days when I am sure you could but for the most part it does not lend to watersports because of too much chop. But I guess its better then not being out at all!
Old     (ecore)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-15-2014, 9:18 AM Reply   
I wouldn't say your crazy at all. I surf and wakeboard on Lake Erie. Surfing is definitely do able because you can surf in rough water. However wakeboarding on the other hand you will have to wait for the calm days.

Are you looking at buying new or used?? Because I am pretty sure you are going have a hard time MB tomcat around here unless you know something I
don't. I have an a20 and I can tell you something right now, it does not handle the big waves the greatest because of the shallow hull. However I am sure that the a24 will handle the waves better than my a20. I have heard tho, that the t22 (traditional bow) takes/handles big waves better better than the pickle fork bows. I have no experience with tige but I hear they make a huge surf wave.
Old     (csherbo)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-15-2014, 1:22 PM Reply   
I live just outside Toronto in Waterloo. I wouldn't ride in Lake Ontario. Maybe around Centre Island early in the morning (although I never have, so don't know the depths). What part of Toronto do you live in? There may be something closer to you.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       07-16-2014, 5:09 AM Reply   
Yes, you are nuts! Do not surf on Lake Ontario! I was on Lake Michigan the one day in the summer when it was suppose to be flat and all the other boat traffic made too many waves to even enjoy surfing!
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       07-16-2014, 5:34 AM Reply   
I'd imagine it would be pretty miserable out on the main part of the lake. Are there no rivers, creeks, or tributaries nearby you could ride? Looking on a map it doesn't look like much in the way of sheltered areas but there are a few lakes about an hour north that may be better options?

If I was considering getting a boat to ride on the big lake I wouldn't be looking at those real pricey new boats you mentioned as it would kill me to have spent that much money to go out and be frustrated with wind and waves every time. I'd be real sure I had a good place to ride before investing that much in a boat.
Old     (randalbrown)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-16-2014, 5:47 AM Reply   
Thanks for the replys everyone. I'm in the beaches (which doesn't mean anything unless your in toronto!) but needless to say I'm downtown and can see the lake from the end of my street. So checking the water is easy.

That being said, I think you are all correct that its too big a lake and too rough, which will result in me getting frustrated.

Time to keep pushing for the cottage and for the wife to agree to longer drives for a session.

In regards to some of the above posts, no bays or tributaries to ride in, the inner harbour gets rough with alot of traffic. Closest lake is Lake Simcoe about an hour and twenty minutes away. Looking at Honey Harbour or the Trent Severn waterway for cottages, where there are lots of inlets and channels to find glassy water in!

If anyone has info about wakeboarding in the trent severn I'll take their two cents on that!

Thanks everyone,

Randal.
Old     (csherbo)      Join Date: Jul 2013       07-16-2014, 8:12 AM Reply   
I know where the Beaches are. :-) You are reasonably close to the Kawartha's. I think it would be fine for you to tow to Port Perry (around an hour) to ride in Lake Scugog.

I've ridden Simcoe before, the water is too big there too. Unless you are on Dawn Patrol, or running to find the leeward side of an island or something, it will be fairly rough.

We've recently been on Pigeon Lake, and Lower Buckhorn, and they were great.
Old     (ecore)      Join Date: Jul 2014       07-16-2014, 8:48 AM Reply   
So you are looking for a cottage on the Trent Severn. Narrowing this down quickly your probably looking on Gloucester pool or little Lake. I have no experience wakeboarding on little Lake but what I do know is that the lake is not very wide and the Trent Severn runs right through it this not leaving you much room to wakeboard. However with a short boat ride you could be in Gloucester pool which I do know has a lot of calm spots.

If you are not wanting to be on the Trent Severn I definitely consider six mile lake. I have rented a cottage on this lake 8 years and love it. Tons of little inlets and bays. Very easy to find calm waters.

However if you could afford it, I would be considering Lake Joseph, Lake Rousseau or Lake muskoka. The waters there are crystal clear. All 3 lakes are just breath taking. The nice thing is you have access to all 3 lakes so it is almost like being on the Trent Severn.

What I would consider doing is getting your boat then maybe in the summers coming up you could do day trips or weekend trips to see which Lake you like the most for when you buy your cottage.
Old     (Blueliner)      Join Date: Sep 2013       07-18-2014, 9:33 AM Reply   
On an early weekend morning you could be at Bridgenorth in the Kawarthas in 2 hours or less. You could be there while the water is still flat.

Keep your boat there, tow it to any nearby lake if you wish. If your significant other is committed to a vacation property start looking while you are on the water up that way. Spend the day. Lots of water, lots of activities up there. It will be like you already have the cottage...with out the upkeep. My wife was no big fan of getting a boat and does not do any of the water sports, but now she comes out with us for 3 or more hours of family time....and this is our first year of doing this stuff.

Blueliner.
Old     (lakeski)      Join Date: Dec 2006       07-19-2014, 4:02 AM Reply   
^^ Keep your boat inland and bring it to Lake Ontario when the conditions are right. That's what we do with Lakes Superior and Michigan.

Every once is a while you get glass. Here's Lake Superior....
Attached Images