Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-24-2013, 3:47 PM Reply   
A friend of mine got a letter last week that stated his insurance will be canceled because of the AHA. Just curious, has anyone else had their insurance canceled?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       10-24-2013, 4:17 PM Reply   
Not cancelled...just a slight 40% increase.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-24-2013, 5:17 PM Reply   
I could hit the exchange and save money, if it weren't for IRS tax laws.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-24-2013, 5:31 PM Reply   
I've heard that also, that companies that provide health care plans at a cost to employees , are cancelling the policies.. Letting the employees fend for themself with Obamacare..

Mine went up 10% a month staring Dec 1st..
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-24-2013, 5:34 PM Reply   
Well, that is a "change".
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       10-24-2013, 6:17 PM Reply   
Wow - that is scary. Your Insurance is being cancelled (which by the way we were told you could keep your insurance if you liked it) and these clowns in Washington can't even get a website going to allow those who have lost their insurance to sign up for new coverage.

These idiots could screw up a wet dream!!!!! After watching some of the congressional hearings today - I truly feel sorry for those who have to head to the exchanges to get health insurance.

This whole thing is starting to unravel...wait and see!!
Old     (TerryR)      Join Date: Aug 2010       10-24-2013, 6:02 PM Reply   
A friend got a cancellation. He has a family of five. His insurance was $1100 a month with a $5K deductable per year.. He was unable to get on the Fed. web site, but he has checked the Neighboring state sites and his cost is $5K more for less coveerage with a 20% continuing deductable. That is an increase of about 5% of his income. If his business increases, his bill wil go up.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-24-2013, 6:19 PM Reply   
I went on the fed web site to see if I could go through the process. I hit a point here I was told to press the "check eligibility" button, but it did absolutely nothing. I ran Wireshark and saw it didn't even post a packet. Got on the chat and the person helping could only tell me how to turn off popups, which wasn't the problem. Dead in the water short of paper and phone application. Decided to go back again today and found that a button that looked like a label called "set" would allow me to continue and price plans.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-24-2013, 6:22 PM Reply   
Another unusual user interface feature is a message telling you have a message. But there is no indication of any way to get to your message. Just a cross icon to dismiss the message.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-24-2013, 6:51 PM Reply   
On CNBC, one the commentators said the Federal site has over 4 million lines of programming that will have to be rewritten.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-24-2013, 10:34 PM Reply   
The site does seem to be working, so I wonder what it is that cannot occur before those 4 million lines are delivered. Probably safe to say you could claim pretty much anything about the code right now and nobody could prove you wrong or right.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-25-2013, 4:11 AM Reply   
Many little things were mentioned, such as being kicked off, entering information but not being allowed access to the next step in the process, and some of the ones that did get registered received notification a few days later their application was not processed properly and had to start over. Another problem was some could not log on and the log on was slow. These are typical problems on a new site, but someone should have realized there would be problems and allowed at least a year for some dry runs.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-25-2013, 4:35 AM Reply   
This is why my friend's insurance got cancelled because "The policies are not in alignment with requirements of Obama’s Affordable Care Act that take effect Jan. 1." Apparently, he is not the only one http://www.nbcnews.com/health/thousa...ces-8C11417913
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-25-2013, 4:53 AM Reply   
People need to start questioning their politicians as to why they can't pay their HI in pretax dollars if they buy it on their own. That makes a huge cost difference. Unfortunately the public doesn't get stuff like this.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-25-2013, 3:55 PM Reply   
You're right on the money with that, John. Subsidizing is also a part that concerns me as it could further inflate the pricing.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-25-2013, 4:59 PM Reply   
No question that subsidizing causes inflation. But it should be all or none when it comes to the tax law. None would obviously be the right course of action if trying to get a handle on inflation. And the govt is going to subsidize a lot more with the ACA. IMO we had to make a choice. Either starve the beast and control costs. Or feed it and help everyone the covered. If we aren't going to starve it, then we have the responsibility to accommodate the poor.

Considering that people are being booted from employee insurance to the exchange, it's a ripe time for the public to put some real and directly pertinent to their lives demands on their politicians and get this settled right away.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       10-25-2013, 8:17 PM Reply   
The question is will the politicians listen?
Old     (phathom)      Join Date: Jun 2013       10-25-2013, 10:49 PM Reply   
I didn't have mine canceled. But our deductible doubled. It has slowly gone up like $50 a year or so for family deductible, but in this years open enrollment they informed us that it has doubled since last year as a direct result of the AHA.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-26-2013, 1:20 AM Reply   
I believe that politicians listen when people speak with a unified voice. Remember you are only represented by 2% of Congress. Even when a politician represents you, you are still poorly represented unless the people in the other states have the same goals. The trouble with "cut spending" is that it isn't a common goal until everyone "knows" what needs to be cut.
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-26-2013, 12:48 PM Reply   
FWIW, with my company, my monthly premium will go down and I will keep everything else the same.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-27-2013, 7:40 AM Reply   
I just watched a program interviewing the "young and healthy" individuals about the ACA... These people were located in DC and were asked if they plan on getting insurance... 80% said they'll just pay the penalty.. They believe the penalty is $95 dollars... The way the ACA reads, the penalty is $95 dollars or 1% of your annual income, whichever is greater.. To pay $95 in penalty, you would have to make $9500 annually.. If you make $35,000 annually, which most of these people made, that $350 dollars penalty...
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       10-27-2013, 8:56 AM Reply   
^ I highly considered doing this as well... my penalty would still be much much higher than the $95, but still far cheaper than the current premiums, but I just fear getting in a car wreck or something and then having the health care system stuck with my monster bills..... or myself, since I'm not 100% sure how it all is suppose to shake down.

.... with that said I'm 26, and in pretty good health.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-27-2013, 9:17 AM Reply   
Here's another question should be asking...

Considering that deductibles are high in the exchange, the consumer will be paying a lot of upfront costs. I'm guessing that the consumer will be paying the insurers negotiated rates before his deductible is covered. How are people supposed to know which insurer to pick if they have no idea what rates they've negotiated with their HC partners? Is it possible in the rate negotiations that the HI/HC have shifted costs towards things that are normally spent in the deductible period statistically speaking? The negotiated rates of all HI on the exchange should be public. Not saying that it isn't, but don't know where to find it.

A law that prevented a HC provider from charging different rates to different customers for the same procedure is something I think needs to be enacted. The HC industry is benefiting from all this money and I think a law that prevents fraudulent pricing is reasonable.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       10-28-2013, 4:18 AM Reply   
http://www.latimes.com/business/la-f...,2756077.story
Old     (CRS_mi)      Join Date: Jul 2011       10-28-2013, 4:32 AM Reply   
We get ours through my wife who is an RN at a decent size hospital. Ours went up a little but we got a letter that most changes won't occur until 2015. Then we got a little saying that to help cover their extra costs they were no longer doing a 401K match. A friend of mine at work also got his through his wife who works at another hospital and their coverage went up a little but they can't cover their spouse anymore on their policy, just children. So now he has to get insurance separately so that will be very pricey for them. AHA... this is what happens when you cater to laziness.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-28-2013, 6:40 AM Reply   
No, this is what happens when the govt gives money to the HI industry for years. Drives up prices and then when poor people or people with a health history can't afford HC you end up being responsible for them. The HI industry has been bad for years. But people who get insurance through an employer have been insulated from a lot of the issues as well as have been the benefit of govt tax charity. Therefore they don't care. And now when it comes to bite them in the butt is there any reason to care? Nope.
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-28-2013, 7:21 AM Reply   
^^ agreed^^
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       10-28-2013, 8:51 AM Reply   
Mine went up about 40% as well!
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       10-28-2013, 9:29 AM Reply   
This is what ADA and AHA promote... And you and I are paying for it......

Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-29-2013, 8:39 AM Reply   
http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_n...insurance?lite

I don't get how people on this thread can trash this legislation, but on other threads defend the bozo who helped create it

makes no sense
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-29-2013, 8:46 AM Reply   
I just opened a letter from Blue Cross
no, my policy isn't cancelled
it's adding fees
the result is a 4.5% increase in the premium

that totals an over 40% increase since this piece of trash was voted for (you decide if that means Obama or Obamacare)

the fees are:
transitional reinsurance program contribution fee. This fee is for 3 years
health insurer fee. This one is permanent
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       10-29-2013, 10:28 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ord27 View Post
I just opened a letter from Blue Cross
no, my policy isn't cancelled
it's adding fees
the result is a 4.5% increase in the premium

that totals an over 40% increase since this piece of trash was voted for (you decide if that means Obama or Obamacare)

the fees are:
transitional reinsurance program contribution fee. This fee is for 3 years
health insurer fee. This one is permanent
So what you're saying is that if McCain/Romney would have won, insurance premiums would have either; A. stayed the same or B. decreased?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-29-2013, 9:16 AM Reply   
Cliff you should be thankful that you get a tax deduction for HI payments. A lot of people don't get that. I think the ACA sucks. But I think what was before the ACA sucked. The difference is now people are paying attention and a real dialog about fixing HC can ensue. It would be great if the ACA ushered in the severing of the relationship between employer and employee.

Looks to me like the inflation cure the last few years wasn't effected by the ACA. So 4.5% is pretty good for a small business.
Attached Images

Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-29-2013, 11:37 AM Reply   
From this point on I think we can agree the increases will be higher as a result of the ACA. But just think... if employees get booted from their employer plans that don't get renewed, then they will join the ranks that can choose not to buy. The more people that have that choice, the closer you are to a free market.

Instead of Americans being divided over party issues and killing the ACA, they should unite to insist that their politicians rewrite the ACA to eliminate the penalty. Then the free market will kick up to the next level.

Last edited by fly135; 10-29-2013 at 11:39 AM.
Old    bigdtx            10-30-2013, 3:20 PM Reply   
I'm reviewing my policies and may drop some for an exchange policy that will provide better coverage (for more money - but better is better). A number of my colleagues are comparing their current policies -vs- the exchange plans and may also switch. Take an objective -vs- subjective look at it. It's here, it near (as your computer), and it's not going anywhere.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       10-31-2013, 12:05 PM Reply   
Stole this from another site. Thought it was funny.

The Affordable Boat Act

The U.S. government has just passed a new law called: "The affordable boat act" declaring that every citizen MUST purchase a new boat, by April 2014. These "affordable" boats will cost an average of $54,000-$155,000 each. This does not include taxes, trailers, towing fees, licensing and registration fees, fuel, docking and storage fees, maintenance or repair costs.

This law has been passed, because until now, typically only wealthy and financially responsible people have been able to purchase boats. This new law ensures that every American can now have a "affordable" boat of their own, because everyone is "entitled" to a new boat. If you purchase your boat before the end of the year, you will receive 4 "free" life jackets; not including monthly usage fees.

In order to make sure everyone purchases an affordable boat, the costs of owning a boat will increase on average of 250-400% per year. This way, wealthy people will pay more for something that other people don't want or can't afford to maintain. But to be fair, people who can’t afford to maintain their boat will be regularly fined and children (under the age of 26) can use their parents boats to party on until they turn 27; then must purchase their own boat.

If you already have a boat, you can keep yours (just kidding; no you can't). If you don't want or don't need a boat, you are required to buy one anyhow. If you refuse to buy one or can’t afford one, you will be regularly fined $800 until you purchase one or face imprisonment.

Failure to use the boat will also result in fines. People living in the desert; ghettos; inner cities or areas with no access to lakes are not exempt. Age, motion sickness, experience, knowledge nor lack of desire are acceptable excuses for not using your boat.

A government review board (that doesn't know the difference between the port, starboard or stern of a boat) will decide everything, including; when, where, how often and for what purposes you can use your boat along with how many people can ride your boat and determine if one is too old or healthy enough to be able to use their boat. They will also decide if your boat has out lived its usefulness or if you must purchase specific accessories(like a $500 compass), or a newer and more expensive boat.

Those that can afford yachts will be required to do so... it’s only fair. The government will also decide the name for each boat. Failure to comply with these rules will result in fines and possible imprisonment.

Government officials are exempt from this new law. If they want a boat, they and their families can obtain boats free, at the expense of tax payers. Unions, bankers and mega companies with large political affiliations ($$$) are also exempt.
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-04-2013, 11:26 AM Reply   
http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...rtner=yahootix

yes Jeremy. I think that the increase over the past few years is a direct result of Obamacare.
Old     (steezyshots)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-04-2013, 12:11 PM Reply   
Wait till you guys all see what's coming down the pipe on January 10th in the mortgage industry. It will be almost impossible to get anything other than a conventional loan.... Thanks Obama!
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-04-2013, 12:13 PM Reply   
My insurance premiums also increased while Bush was in office also. And while my plan will increase (again) this year (and I am working for a different employer), my biggest % increase occurred in 2004.
Old     (dirtrider)      Join Date: Sep 2008       11-04-2013, 3:09 PM Reply   
Our current plan is canceled and we are looking at a 40% increase and $1000 per person increase deductible. According to my insurance broker their quote system is only showing
info for Kaiser and Blue Shield so we will have to wait and see if anything better comes along.

What is happening with the mortgage industry Riley?
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       11-04-2013, 4:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake77 View Post
My insurance premiums also increased while Bush was in office also. And while my plan will increase (again) this year (and I am working for a different employer), my biggest % increase occurred in 2004.
I started paying (being charged a percentage) out of pocket (beyond the employer 100% paid) during Clinton. If you look at what is going on it sounds like companies are scrambling to re-enroll by early December to avoid the 40% or much much more increases that everyone is getting. Is yours doing this also?
Old     (Pad1Tai)      Join Date: Jan 2013       11-04-2013, 3:37 PM Reply   
I just received a notice from Humana... My insurance as of January 1st will increase 298%..... That threefold..... This is totally ridiculous and unacceptable..
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       11-04-2013, 5:32 PM Reply   
No, our plan is classified as a "cadillac-plan" (even though I will argue to the death that it is not).
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-05-2013, 9:10 PM Reply   
http://www.forbes.com/sites/theapoth...rtner=yahootix
Old     (ord27)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-05-2013, 9:33 PM Reply   
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/five-b...234921989.html
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-08-2013, 12:01 PM Reply   
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/...nce-companies/

Via fox
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       11-08-2013, 1:26 PM Reply   
I remember the radio reporting on a Congressional hearing and I think it was Sebelius they were asking... "Was it true or false when Obama said you could keep your insurance". She wouldn't give a straight answer, but I would have told them....

"It's as truthful as all of you are when you speak to the public. All laws have unintended consequences and not anticipating and revealing them is either not a lie or it is a lie of omission depending on how you look at it. And you are all guilty of lies of omission if that is the viewpoint you are taking."
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-08-2013, 9:18 PM Reply   
True enough, John, but part of the problem is Obama views this law as a product--such as the introduction of a new computer. This law goes way beyond a product malfunction, and as an unintended consequence, many people who had insurance now do not. If a company were to make these mistakes, consumers would likely be compensated. All the public gets from this administration is an apology.
Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       11-09-2013, 9:16 AM Reply   
Many people who had sh*t insurance now do not. This inevitability should have been mentioned from the start.
Old     (deltawake)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-09-2013, 9:44 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by pesos View Post
Many people who had sh*t insurance now do not. This inevitability should have been mentioned from the start.
Our current plan ends Jan1. The new plan they are offering us costs 23% more and the deductibles are tripling to $4500 per person. You tell me which one is a sh*t plan.
Old     (Laker1234)      Join Date: Mar 2010       11-09-2013, 6:34 PM Reply   
Wes, please enlighten me on the bad insurance. This superior insurance currently offered is so much better why?